Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 AM   #31
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Bullshit,....
some bullshit photos to help you visualize...

right side

left side

this is a design flaw, what else would you call it? both failed at exactly the same place below the elbow where the stem is reduced to 5mm.

the mirrors were not broken when they fell off the bike, and have been remounted after Henri sent me some new elbows, although their career on serious gravel is over.

i'm glad yours survived the trip, mine didn't. if anyone knew in advance that the stem reduced to a mere 5mm, they might not consider these mirrors for off pavement use. the photos have been sent over to the factory engineers, maybe they'll make a design change. the concept is good, the elbow design isn't.

jdrocks screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 05:58 AM
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #32
EduardoMas
Spartan Overlander

Oddometer: 393
What not to get: Ken Sean mirrors.
I do ride at 140KPH and slow single track on an XR650R.

They do not stay in place at higher speeds: Having done all the tricks to get them to stay in place above say 80KPH I can report that nothing worked for long if you still want to fold them out of the way by hand when you get to the good stuff.

High mounting post arrangement: The build-up of post and nuts to attach it to the handlebar is rather high. I landed chest-on-handlebar breaking the mirror arm at the neck above the ball with one of my ribs... it hurt. After that I made a bracket that hides the "post build-up by mounting it below the handlebar.

Value: Yes they are inexpensive, but you will have to add the $20 or so to the next mirrors you buy after trying them.

The good: If you just want mirrors to stay in place without the need to move them down when you get to the trail you can just lock the ball tight in place by tightly torqueing (sp?) the counter nut. But this is not a a real dual sport mirror.

I'll try some of the mirrors recommended in this tread. In the meantime the Ken Sean thing act as a legal definition of a rear view mirror for the times a cop stops me to check for insurance, registration and DOT compliance.

Cheers!
Eduardo
XR650R

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #33
hb7
moto-science

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
The hinge on the KTM mirrors is a major weak point, one good jump or pot hole and they break. The plastic is too brittle.
My mirror broke so shoot the engineer.

This is so not true.

How were they set up ?

I have these mirrors for 4 years without any issues on my single 660 cc.
hb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #34
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
some bullshit photos to help you visualize...

right side

left side

this is a design flaw, what else would you call it? both failed at exactly the same place below the elbow where the stem is reduced to 5mm.

the mirrors were not broken when they fell off the bike, and have been remounted after Henri sent me some new elbows, although their career on serious gravel is over.

i'm glad yours survived the trip, mine didn't. if anyone knew in advance that the stem reduced to a mere 5mm, they might not consider these mirrors for off pavement use. the photos have been sent over to the factory engineers, maybe they'll make a design change. the concept is good, the elbow design isn't.
JD,
What model mc is that.
And sorry for the overstated comment.
I only meant to say that properly maintained and with luck the mirrors will hold up on gravel and much worse.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #35
hb7
moto-science

That's a KLR650 washing machine....

Quote:
JD,
What model mc is that.
I only meant to say that properly maintained and with luck the mirrors will hold up on gravel and much worse.
bill
Old 10-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #36
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb7
That's a KLR650 washing machine....
it might be a POS washing machine, but it's not a KLR.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 AM   #37
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
JD,
What model mc is that.
bill
i'm using the mirrors on a kawasaki ptwin, no bar vibration.

my mirrors are set in a more vertical position than yours, but are the longest version available. the shorter arm might stress the 5mm stem less. the mirrors are set tight at the base, but less tight at the elbow. your can move the arm without the wrench.

if the stem continued into the elbow assembly at 10-12mm, these mirrors would be as durable as most others.

the right side failed at about 1400 miles, the left side at 1700 miles, all on typical NA graded gravel.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #38
hb7
moto-science

FYI:

European motorcycle manufacturers are implementing directives to increase rider safety. One of the techniques is to make the mirrors breakaway to save the rider.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #39
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Random marketing question since no one else seems to like the Sean Ken mirrors either...
Almost every motorcycle store I've been to has that mirror but most have nothing else... what's up with that? I bought one in Nevada Motorsports in Reno (after my KTM folding mirror broke in the exact same place as JD's) and the store owner came out to help me. He complained he hated those mirrors as well - BUT they were the only mirrors he stocked!

To be fair to the KTM folding mirrors:
Henry's service is both fast and excellent,
They are less bulky than the double take,
Though I've had 3 break in the exact same place as JD, it's possible I didn't have them set up right... ie too tight at the elbow.

What every mirror I've used still needs is a way to stop vibration on the big singles. I haven't had much luck with those rubber mounted mirror posts... I know my hands would appreciate it if the vibes were stopped not just for the mirrors but for the bars as well.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #40
hb7
moto-science

Try filling your handlebars with silicone caulk or lead shot. This will help reduce the vibration in the handlebars.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #41
Wreckluse
Will work for beer

Oddometer: 443
I run these on my DS bike. They work fine and the handguards are the best I've ever used.

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/
08 DRZ 400 SM Adventure
12 GasGas 250 Pro
Wreckluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #42
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
i'm using the mirrors on a kawasaki ptwin, no bar vibration.

my mirrors are set in a more vertical position than yours, but are the longest version available. the shorter arm might stress the 5mm stem less. the mirrors are set tight at the base, but less tight at the elbow. your can move the arm without the wrench.

if the stem continued into the elbow assembly at 10-12mm, these mirrors would be as durable as most others.

the right side failed at about 1400 miles, the left side at 1700 miles, all on typical NA graded gravel.
JD,
I have always used the short arm version with the elbow loose but now you have me worried about a possible failure.

I carry several hose clamps just the right size to clamp the mirror stem to the grip in an emergency.

The double takes are looking better and uglier every tme I check them out.

Better wins with me.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #43
tallrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
i made a turned mount for putting the hind sight lane split mirror on my HDB hand guards.

When folded in it is tucked behind the guard. It's hit the dirt on a couple of slowish low sides without damage.

The spring loaded detent on the lane split version has survived a tip over in the dirt along with a few taps against car/truck mirrors when splitting lanes. View behind is very good as it is out past your elbow.
tallrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #44
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
JD,
I carry several hose clamps just the right size to clamp the mirror stem to the grip in an emergency.
you can see in the left side photo that i have one of the broken mirrors zip tied to the hand guard. had to ride the last 4000 miles on that one mirror.

from the ride report just after the second mirror snapped off-

The best tracks in the road are on the northbound side, and while I had been using the whole road, I was about to switch over to the left. Runnin’ 60, I hear a faint “tweet, tweet”. WTF is that noise?, I had my earplugs really jammed in there. I catch movement on my left, a fuckin’ truck bumper, then fender. It was like a ghost snuck up behind you at midnight and tapped you on the shoulder. I could have reached over and touched that truck, a maelstrom of dust rolling off the front tire. The muted “tweets” I heard were the truck’s airhorns. I’m off the gas, I couldn’t see the truck or the road, trying to hold a straight line so the trailer doesn’t hit me. Can’t touch the brakes in the marbles, I just have to ride it out, my mind was in a strange place well beyond fear.

Ok, I think I just proved that theory, it really is suicide, and I’m off on the right to rig up a mirror. I zip tie one of the broken mirrors to the inside of the left hand guard, the only solution that would work. I pass the same truck parked at a road crew camp, and later he passes me again, but this time I saw him coming.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #45
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Nice post!!
Forgot about zip ties. I carry them.
My 'old school' is showing.
bill

Bill Shockley