Old 05-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #61
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
these are the indicators:

http://www.optitune.nl/bull39s-stuur...ht-p-2207.html

also avaliable in black:

http://www.optitune.nl/bulls-stuurei...t-p-53035.html

Can't find the grips, I can make a more detailled picture if you want. If you send them that pic, they'll know what it is.

By the way. Did u mean the new exhaust can, or the (long) old one in the older pics? The long one is a megaton.
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #62
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

My Beemer's always been a bit noisy and I don't mean the exhaust. I always thought it's the valves. At least: every search I did on a couple of forums told me it would be the valves and that noisy valves are happy valves. But today I was told by someone (who I don't know, but he claimed to know a lot about Beemers) that it's my timing chain. How plausible is that? I don't know the milage since I bought this bike without tacho and the previous owner swapped the R80 engine for a R100 anyway.

If it is my timing chain, how hard is it to replace? Can I just replace the chain, or do I ave to replace the sprockets aswell? Anything I need to do on tensioners? Any other things I need to keep in mind?

Good advice, preverably with pics include, is very, very welcome.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #63
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,108
same issue with my R80, needing a cam chain.

my Dad replaced one years back and his gear teeth looked OK so he only replaced the chain and tensioner. I believe it's pretty straight forward and a good manual could guide you.

I'm sure there is also some links and more advice waiting to come your way.

here's a little while you wait...
http://www.airheads.org/content/view/211/98/
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #64
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Yes the timing chain can make noise but it's very different that valves taping. The old trick I learned in the military was to place a screw driver handle on your ear and the business end on the case near the suspected noise. It transfers sound pretty well. Of course a stethoscope would be better, along with a white lab coat with a BMW logo. But I digress...
Old 07-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #65
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

What;s the difference in sound than? Because it sounds an awfull lot like valves. Will the altenator puller really be necessairy? (I'll have to find one than).

offtopic: I went to the Dutch Cafercar day yesterday, you can find some pics here: http://bmwcafe.blogspot.com/2009/07/...chterveld.html
Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #66
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,547
Alternator puller is a special hardened bolt, not expensive, and worth having....

Chain noise: imagine a chain inside with some slack, it can slap, whir. Slapping might be intermittent, whirring constant, but to my mind certainly distinct from valve train noise...

Easy enough to pop off the valve covers and check valve clearances! You might want to check end-play on the rocker arms, too, that can make valve noise quite a bit noisier. Though your model should not have issues with endplay of the rocker arms....

Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 AM   #67
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

That's what bothers me: the it's definately a ticking sound, like valves would make. But i allready checked the clearances (a couple of times) and readjusted the play in the rocherarms with shimms. I've heard some other beemers make the same noise, but most are (a lot!) quieter.

The volume eems to increase slightly (very slightly) as the engine gets warmer.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #68
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

OK, I just went to the bike and tried the screwdriverthing. On the right side I could only hear some (very, very) litle noise exactly where the blue arrow is (but then on the other side of the engine) on the left side I could here some noise in the 'orange zone'. That noise didn't sound like the mechanical sounds the engine makes at all. The mechanical sound is best described (I think) like the sound of a metal bucket filled with small stones that you're shacking.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #69
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,547
Your description could very well be a timing chain noise...rumbly like stones could be a bearing, could be timing chain against tensioner. Might be worth looking into?

Though getting into the timing chain is far more than adjusting the valves if you haven't read the link above about timing chain, it is well worthwhile.

Good luck Bike is looking great, and after seeing the pics of your buddies' cafes, I still like yours the best
Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #70
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,282
A stretched timing chain or worn sprocket (or both) usually manifests itself as an erratic "tink-tink-ta-tink...tink....tink" sound at idle after the engine is thoroughly warmed up. As it gets worse it can sound like a full on rattle. Even when really worn, the sound usually disappears as soon as you rev about 1500.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #71
MIOB OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
A stretched timing chain or worn sprocket (or both) usually manifests itself as an erratic "tink-tink-ta-tink...tink....tink" sound at idle after the engine is thoroughly warmed up. As it gets worse it can sound like a full on rattle. Even when really worn, the sound usually disappears as soon as you rev about 1500.
now you're making me uncertain again. The noise is always there, throughout the whole RPM range and it's not eratic.

@Pbeckm: Thanks . (and I'd already read the link ofcourse)

edit: I tried to record the soudn with my camera, you can clearly hera it ticking (though the sounds isn't too great)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwYdaHjPFA8

MIOB screwed with this post 07-06-2009 at 11:59 AM
Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #72
goatroper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Ignition?

The usual airhead noises are routinely addressed with earplugs, but you might want to eliminate pre-ignition or excessive advance as a cause. It doesn't "sound" like that from your description, but......

never mind, just listened to it. Sounds good to me.
goatroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #73
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

replace the cam chain and tensioner and see if that satisfies you.

other noises besides valve train is piston slap, but from where you marked, it's cam chain, worse on the left side than the right pegs it IMO.

+1 on the earplugs.

good luck
Old 07-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #74
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

BTW, thanks for a little inspiration

Old 07-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #75
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,748
Another source of noise in the heads that doesn't go away with a valve adjust: Valves that need a re-grind. The valve faces are too wide and slap when closing creating a ringing noise.