User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
California To Panama Super Adventura

Me and my 2 buddys left LA on febuary 5th on my XR650r and their 07 and 08 KLR650's on a trip to Panama and back. Our plan is no plan. Just get up and go and see what happens. We are all 24 and 25 years old and this is our first trip like this. I set up a daily blog for our trip and am trying to keep it updated with pics videos and stories along the way. It may get a little graphic at times and this is probably not the average advrider type thread but im just trying to tell it like it is. Some things are left not broadcasted all over the internet though. We have already randomly met up with alot of ADV Riders along the way and they have been very helpful. Here is the link to the blog.

http://superadventura.blogspot.com/

Here is the link to our SPOT tracker
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...QJreZX7pJngtGP

Maui Dual Sport Rentals and Tours
www.mauidualsport.com

Mendo screwed with this post 03-09-2009 at 09:28 AM
Mendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
WrenchRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Already in my favorites,

WrenchRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
caktmrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Awesome! Keep going and be safe!

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." Bertrand Russell.
caktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just going to start this from when we left Baja and headed to mainland.

Day 18

We pack all of our stuff up and roll out to the ferry station to get Shane's bike import permit and get our ferry tickets. We decide to splurge and get the suite on the boat. We are honestly not expecting much. With the bikes and room it was 3000 pesos each so it was pretty expensive.
The boat didn't leave for a few hours so we decide to go for a ride up the coast and see what we find. We come across some very nice beaches fit for a postcard and find some fun off-road sections as well along the water.

At one beach we find a sail boat that had been wrecked and was laying side ways in the water.
The mast was in tact and laying diagonally to the shore with the sail ropes hanging off of it. I thought it would be a good idea to swing from the shore to the boat on the rope like a pirate but I only got about half way there.

We throw rocks in the water to make a bridge to the boat and I climbed aboard and checked it out.
We then went north down the coast and ate at a little place on the beach and got some good fish ceviche and tacos.
Time to head back to the ferry to load the bikes. Went through customs no problem and rode the bikes up into the ship. The inside was huge. The attendant gave us some tie downs and we all secured our bikes and walked inside.
We were pretty amazed by what we saw. It was like a 5 star resort inside. There was a disco, restaurants, stores and everything was just really nice. We checked in and they showed us to our room. Wow really nice to. 3 beds with a couch and our own bathroom with shower and walk in closet. Not to mention the killer view out the window. For this 17 hour trip across the ocean I am very glad we decided to get the suite.

We settled in and went to the restaurant and had a classy dinner with fettachini alfredo and wine wearing board shorts haha. Went upstairs to the lounge and a guy named Greg from Cali comes up to us and asks us about our trip and invites us to come hang out with him and his friends. We go over there and introduce ourselves to 4 other guys and one of their girlfriends. The guy Emery with the girlfriend was super hammered and douchy I could tell his girlfriend wanted nothing to do with him. We played many funny games of asshole and I brought out my ipod speakers and played some inappropriate music no one cared for all night.
At about 1am we go outside on the deck of the ship and go explore around. Shane finds a sketchy manhole and climbs down it into the gallows of the ship.
Since we have to get up at 6am when the ship docks in Mazatlan I go back to the room and pass out.

www.mauidualsport.com

Mendo screwed with this post 03-09-2009 at 09:17 AM
Old 03-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 19

Wake up at 6am and the boat is already docked so we scramble to get packed up so we dont get left. Hop on the bikes and head off the boat and into Mazatlan. Gas up at Pemex and ride around trying to find the beach. We find the main drag and cruise around, the city is huge and the beaches go on as long as you can see. We see remnant's of a big party the night before. It is carnival here as well. Find a breakfast place on the beach and talk to a older white guy who gives us the low down on the city and what to do.
The wait staff is very interested in our bikes and we tell them our story and how much everything costs. They can't fathom spending as much money as we are and traveling for so long for no real reason but to have fun.
We are all very very tired from lack of sleep so we decide to stay here tonight and ride around to find a hotel to go to sleep. I find a cool little place on the beach with a swimming pool and locked parking for our bikes for only 100 pesos each. Huge score. We unpack and take a much needed nap.
I wake up to a phone call from a unknown number. Its striking viking.
Im sure most of you know of him on here. Really a great guy. Here is his website, its worth a look. http://www.strikingviking.net/
I had read online that he now lived in Mazatlan so I emailed him a few days earlier to see if he wanted to meet up. He was staying only 5 blocks away and we set up to meet at 8pm that night at his house.
We all go for a ride around the city along the cliffs and find a cool trail that goes up to the top of a mountain overlooking the city and ocean.
Go back to the room and get ready to meet up with Striking Viking not knowing what to expect. We show up at a big condo and get buzzed in, take the elevator to the very top and his door is open. His house was a huge penthouse overlooking the ocean, it was awesome to say the least. He had pictures all over the wall of his motorcycle adventures around the world. He had another adventure rider staying with him (Luke or FISHFUND on advrider) at the time who was doing a video of his trip as well. He was doing the trip solo though. We all sat down and talked for a bit and then went to get our motorcycles so we could all go get food and go out.
Meet back up at his house and Striking Viking (Glenn) gets on his BMW and we take off into carnival traffic. We are lane splitting like crazy and I almost got hit a few times running red lights to catch up.
We stop at a taco place and eat and talk about riding and his travels and whatnot.
We then leave on our bikes into town and Glenn shows us the real Matatlan experience. What happens next cannot be explained.....

www.mauidualsport.com
Old 03-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 20

Day 20

Pack up in Mazatlan and head out of town with the destination of San Blas. Luke from the night before joins us for the ride. We decide to try to get there off-road with no real idea of how. We take a dirt road that looks like it goes through the swamps and follows the ocean. We are riding through farms and along the river for a while just following the general direction of the GPS. We get to a locked gate along our path and decide to make a way around it.
We clear out some brush and go around the gate.

Go over a sketchy bridge and end up in someones yard with 3 Mexican guys cooking something behind a brick wall. I ask them how to get around the lagoon and they point the opposite direction so we head back the same way.
I get back to the road and Luke motions for us to head back, we find Jeff on the side of the road with the first flat tire of the trip.

Prop his bike up and Shane and Jeff go to work while me and Luke film mostly. They change the tire out like pro's it seems and we put our slime in the tires and we are on our way. About 5 minutes later we stop to get some beers and notice Jeffs tire is almost flat. Dam the patch must of not held or the slime needs to work its way around the tire so we fill it back up at a bike shop and drive down the road for a bit until we get to another town with a bike shop and decide to have the worker there change out the tube for 25 pesos.
While the tire is getting fixed I ride around town and check out a museum and some old buildings. The town has alot of character.
I order a pizza for everyone and when the tire is done we all eat and then are back in action. 5 minutes after we leave town Luke's clutch cable breaks but he has a spare one and puts it on. Not 20 minutes later Shane and I pass a semi on the outside of the road and boom I get a flat tire from a nail or something. It is almost dark now and we still have 100 miles to ride, you have got to be kidding me.

We pull off the wheel in the dark and do the tire change, there is slime all over the tire and its boiling hot. Jeff has a spare tube luckily and we get it all back together in about 45 minutes.
Only my high beams work on my bike so I am getting flashed by every truck and semi on the road and they are leaving their brights on trying to get me to turn mine off but i cant so we are blinded alot of the time. We get lost multiple times but somehow get all the way to San Blas at midnight. We check out a few hotels until we find a really cool one for only $400 pesos for all of us with bike parking, big commune area and a pool. I am pretty beat from a long hot day and grab a beer and chill out.

www.mauidualsport.com
Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 21

I am up early after a good nights rest and walk into town while everyone is still sleeping. There is alot going on for such a small town. I walk down to the harbor and watch some of the fisherman unloading their catches. The town is mostly dirt roads with 2 main paved streets. I notice that there is Polica on almost every corner just hanging out watching everyone, weird. I start walking back to the hotel and see Shane, Luke and Jeff. We all walk to a breakfast place and get some shrimp omelette's and discuss today's plan.
Back at the hotel we pack everything up and ride out of town. Since we rode in at night we didn't really get to see what the landscape was like and were surprised by how the terrain had changed from desert to lush jungle. This was a nice change as we have been riding desert for almost 2000 miles and it was getting old. We come to a long tropical beach that looks like it goes on for miles and it looks like it connects with the road we are trying to reach to get to Puerto Vallarta. So we ride onto the sand and bomb down the beach. It is really smooth and we hit 80 mph+ on the sand. We do a bit of filming doing wheelies and drifting around and Luke busts out his P.O.V Helmet Camera and I have mine on so we get some cool double shots.27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" height="266" width="320">

Connect back up with the road and now the terrain is very dense jungle, it looks like something out of the movie "The Island". The road is very twisty and Luke ends up going off the road at one point when he couldn't turn sharp enough.
After about an hour we are all getting hungry so we stop at a little restaurant off the side of the road. Order up a bunch of fish and shrimp ceviche tostadas and a round of beers.
Hit the road road again and notice that Jeff's rear tire is leaking air, we fill it up at the gas station and will fix it when we get to Pureto Vallarta.
Arrive in Pureto Vallarta around 5pm and stop to look at our guide book to see where a good place to stay is. Purerto Vallarta is extremely developed and there is alot going on, looks like a fun place. We all split up and each of us goes to a different hotel to see how much it is and if they have a place to put our bikes. I find a nice one where they will let us bring our bikes inside the hotel for 400 peso's.

Wheel our bikes inside and unpack. We hang out for a bit in the room and Luke put on the DVD that Glenn (Striking Viking) from the day before had given him. It is the National Geographic documentary of Glenn's story of getting kidnapped in Columbia on his motorcycle. It was very well done and intense. Was cool seeing Glenn share his story on TV after we were just hanging out with him the day before. It really gave you a idea of how bad it was and how lucky he is to be alive. Strange thing was is that the story started off in the same place we had left from, Palm Springs. I hope that's not a sign of things to come.
Walk into town around 8 and get some tacos and check out the scene. Everything is very upscale and right on the ocean with tons of bars and clubs. Grab some beers and Margarita's at a billiard place and then walk to the main strip. We are getting offered drugs left and right and when we asked one guy where we were he replied with "Yayo Avenue" haha I thought that was hilarious.
We all have to take a piss so we walk down to the beach behind a big sea wall, I mention how this probably isn't a good idea but we do it anyways. As we are walking back up the stairs 2 guys in uniform with guns come up to us and start telling us how we are in big trouble and how what we did was illegal. Great, I've heard stories of tourists going to jail for doing this so it was not looking good. One of the guys is telling us how we have to go to the police station outside of town and pay 500 peso's each. He takes every ones ID's besides mine cause I don't have it and starts leading us towards the police station. We are arguing with him that we have no way to get there and he should just write us a ticket because we have no money and keeps telling us we are out of luck if we have no money. By this time I can tell he is looking for a bribe so I pull out 400 pesos and tell him this is all I have. He refuses and we are just sitting there getting nowhere and eventually he says put the money in the planter and we can go. So for 100 peso's each we got out of that situation which isn't bad. I guess everyone owes me drinks for the rest of the night haha.
A group of 4 Mexican girls is walking down the sidewalk and Luke starts talking to them, his Spanish is as bad as all of our's so I have no Idea what he is saying or how he is holding what seems like a conversation for so long. Turns out 2 of them speak decent English so we all start talking and decide to go into one of the bars together.

We get some beers and by now Luke is pretty drunk and he takes one of the girls onto the dance floor and just goes nuts. He is busting out moves not seen since the 70's and just cant be touched on the dance floor, it was awesome. I can tell he is going to be a good addition to our group.
After we had spent all the money we brought out with us we say bye to the girls and head back to the hotel at about 3am. When we get to the hotel the owner is there and starts telling us how we need to move our bikes out of the hotel and onto the street because there is a taco stand where our bikes are at 6am. What, that makes no sense. The reason we stayed there is because our bikes and luggage were safe inside and we are not stoked on leaving them on the street. We argue with him politely for like 20 minutes and basically wake up the whole hotel on accident. We end up moving all the bikes onto the street and lock them up and go to bed.

www.mauidualsport.com
Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 22 Puerto Vallarta

We decided to stay another day in Puerto Vallarta to take care of a few things on the bikes and check out the town a little more. Luke ends up taking off that morning to go meet some friends in Cancun which is 2000 miles away and he has 3 days to get there, wow good luck, that is going to be one brutal trip. He is going to meet back up with us in Honduras.
Jeff found a motorcycle shop right by our hotel and picked up a spare tube to fix his tire. Shane also bought a really nice new front tire. They had the same tire front and rear for my bike for a good price and I really contemplated ditching my almost brand new dirt tire for these hybrid tires as they looked like they would last the rest of the trip instead of me going through 8 or more full dirt tires. I decided to pass though. Shane and Jeff dropped off their bikes at the shop and we walked around the beach and town.
A thick cloud cover had blanketed the city which was really nice because it was a extremely hot day. I went and got a much needed $4 haircut at a local place while the guys dealt with their bikes. Spent most of the day just lounging around and went out to get food downtown once it got dark. Taco's and beer, yes sir.
Afterwards we go to our little billiard spot from the night before and play a couple games of pool and sample some fine tequila.

We go down to the Malacon which is the main part of town on the beach and go into "The Zoo" bar and watch drunk white girls dance on tables just like it said in our guide book, haha. The girls from the night before show up and we hang out for a bit until Shane gets us to leave. We had read earlier that Puerto Vallarta was the transvestite capital of Mexico and they had Tranny shows where they come out on stage and sing and get judged like on American Idol. We have to see this.
Shane finds the place like he has been there before and we walk into the craziest, weirdest scene ever. The place is packed like a stadium gathered around a main stage and there is a Transvestite lip syncing and dancing to Brittany Spears. Its was quite a scene to behold, I was pretty much awe struck and didn't know what to think.
We walk around to get a better view and everyone is staring at us like we are the only strait people in the place, which we were. The next act a 400 pound drag queen comes bursting out of the curtains with tons enthusiasm and flamboyancy. Ive never seen such a fat person move around so fast. The only word I can come up with to explain how I felt at this moment in time is completely baffled.

Jeff is super out of it and we can tell he is not comfortable with what is going on so we send him home. Later Shane and I decide that we need photographic proof we were there so we get a pictures with one of the trannys.

Awesome my life is complete now and shane and I go back to the hotel and go to bed.

www.mauidualsport.com

Mendo screwed with this post 03-09-2009 at 09:21 AM
Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 23 PV To Manzaillo

Slowly make our way out of bed around 10am and get all our stuff together and grab some desayuno (breakfast) down the street. Hop on the bikes and go out in search of a air pump for our tires as we have been plagued with so many flat tires and now that Luke is gone we have no air which could be a disaster. We get kind lost on the way out of town and end up on a dirt road going off into the mountains. We seem to be going in the right direction so we continue on. The road is alot of fun and winds through the mountains and along a nice river through small villages. We climb alot of elevation and go through a few mud holes and rivers.
After about half a hour with no idea where we are going I ask a local if the road connects back with the main road ever and he says no it does not. Then he says well yes it does but it takes 5 hours and is very hard. We have less then a half tank of gas and its already afternoon so that probably isn't the best idea so we turn back and get on the Mexi200 Highway. This road is great and follows the coast revealing beautiful coves and tropical beaches. The road leaves the coast and goes high up into the mountains and the terrain changes to what almost looks like northern California. What do ya know another flat tire.
About 100 miles down the road I see what looks like a nice beach so we stop and check it out. There is a little place to eat right on the sand so we sit down and order some ceviche and shrimp burritos. I am super beat from last night so I lay down in the sand and take a nap before our food comes.

They bring out a tastey plate of ceviche and some fancy burritos and we do work. While I'm waiting for Shane and Jeff I get on my bike and ride around and find a little trail that goes off into the jungle. It was a great trail I really wanted to keep going but the sun was already setting so we had to move south.
Get into Manzallio which is a very big port and beach city. Ride around and find a cheap hotel with locked parking and just relax the rest of the night so we can pump out a decent amount of miles in the morning.

www.mauidualsport.com
Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 24 Day Of Disaster

To start, i am typing with one hand so please exuse my spelling and punctuation as it will be even worse then the rest of this blog. One way to describe today was complete disaster. Day started out good we got some spare tubes and a air pump in Manzanillo and headed south on the mexi200 hwy. We climbed pretty high into the mountains and had incredible views of the coast for most of the ride.

Jeff's tire goes flat AGAIN so we bring it to a tire shop and find another nail. that makes 5 flats in 3 days. As the tire is getting fixed Shane and I go explore some trails down in the river bed and do some mud bog hill climbs

We saw a really nice long beach on our way into town so once the bike was fixed we backtracked and rode out onto the beach. There were tons of quads and lots of off road trails.27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" height="266" width="320">

I slowed down and stopped to talk to some locals unexpectedly and Shane couldn't stop in time and hit me from the back. It was not bad for me but Shane's foot got caught in between my foot peg and railed his foot hard. He took off his boot and yep its broken. You could see the bone poking into the skin. No bueno at all. He kept optimistic and barely complained at all and we took off down the beach. The sand got pretty deep and were super squirlly all over the place. The river met with the ocean so we had to cross it. I stopped to assess the situation but Shane just charged it full speed and got completely soaked. Jeff and I went next and got wet as well.
We get back on the road south towards Playa Azul. Stop at a place to eat and watch some exotic birds and get info on what animals are in the area from a young waitress who wont stop staring at us and giggling. This seems to happen all the time and I'm not sure if they are making fun of us or flirting.
Here is where things go bad. I am in the lead and go around a sharp corner at about 40 mph and hit a oil slick mid turn, Instantly I slide out and hit the pavement. As I'm sliding on my side and stomach I can feel my skin being torn off so I roll over onto my butt where i have thicker pants and slide another 20 or so feet. My bike hits the guard rail and I stand up mid slide and run off the road. Mind you im not wearing a shirt so there is nothing between me and the pavement. The whole thing happened so fast but it felt like time slowed down and I had alot of time to think.
For a second I think I'm OK besides road rash and then my arm starts really hurting and I cant move it. I'm am pretty much writhing in pain and don't even want to look at my shoulder in fear of what I will see. I look down at my left shoulder and it is completely out of the socket and my shoulder bone is sticking out about 3 inches past my arm. Shit this not good I think I broke it. I then think its just dislocated badly. I've seen in movies how they pop them back into place with a lot of force and pain but it is hurting so bad i am willing to try anything.
Shane braces against my arm and I grit my teeth and get ready for him to yank on it hoping for the best. 1....2....3 GO! Owwwwww fuck that hurt and it didn't do anything.
We try again this time slower and its just brutal and not working at all. OK i need to get to a hospital or something, but we are in the middle of nowhere. I lay on the ground trying to find the only position to keep my arm in as to not have excruciating pain. Meanwhile Jeff tries to flag down some cars to give me a ride to the hospital and Shane hides my bike in the woods and covers it in branches planning to keep it there over night.
A police shows up and flags down a big semi truck who happens to have a open trailer and is willing to drive us way out of his ways to the hospital with me and my bike. This guy is my hero. They load the bike in the truck and take off not knowing where or how far we are going as the driver speaks no English
He has to stop about 6 times to ask for directions. I am leaving blood stains all over his truck. About a hour down the road we stop at a guys house who is a doctor and speaks English. Really nice guy and he looks at the injury and tells me its dislocated and not broken, that's a huge relief. He says I need to get to the hospital though because he does not have strong enough drugs for when they pull my arm back into the socket. In the mean time he hooks me up with some sort of pain killer shot in my arm free of charge to help until I reach the hospital. People in Mexico are so nice and really have been going out of their way the whole trip to help us. I give the driver $150 for his troubles which I feel is 110% worth it, I don't know what I would of done without him
Arrive at the hospital, Jeff and the driver unload my bike and Shane and I limp inside. There are at least 30 people waiting in line outside but they let us in first I guess cause they could see my arm was really fucked up. I go inside fill out no paperwork or even give our name at they and they look me over and take us to the X ray room. Get 2 X-Rays and they tell me its not fractured and are going to have to yank it back into place after they give me a sedative. All the doctors are laughing and making jokes, cool guys as well. I lay down on the bed and get a shot in my ass. 15 minutes later they come back and and say "listo?" (ready?) I'm like no no the shot didn't do anything it hurts more now. Oh well they are going for it anyway. About 5 doctors grab my arm and move it around into different positions and then all pull on it hard. It hurts a lot and then makes a audible pop and moves back to its normal position. The pain instantly goes away and it was basically orgasmic. ha.
Wow I feel great now this is amazing. They wrap my arm in gauze and give a prescription for pain meds and anti inflammatory.

^^^ On the right you can see how out of place my shoulder is compared to the end of my shoulder bone

I go to pay expecting like a $500 bill, nope $25 for everything, that's crazy. I need to get hurt in Mexico more often. The doctors were all awesome I gave them a tip.
Shane and Jeff ride my bike back to the hotel and I walk to the Farmicia and then to the hotel. What a freakin day. We are going to need alot of recovery time and have to fix my bike so I'm not sure what our plan is from here but to just relax and recover. We are in good spirits though and the trip will go on :)

www.mauidualsport.com
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 26 Lazaro to Zihuatanejo

We are contemplating going north to Playa Azul for me to recover at and then decide we are going to go south 65 miles to Zihuatanejo instead since we had heard good things about it from Clay and Kyles blog. They had just been there about a week before. Here is a link to their blog http://slingshotsouth.blogspot.com/
My clutch perch was shattered from the crash so Jeff went out into town to try and find something that will work and comes back with a pretty legit clutch perch and lever from some sort of street bike and adapts it to work on my bike. We then zip tie my decompression lever on and its good to go.
Our plan now is for Shane and Jeff to ride their bikes to Zihuatanejo while I take the bus there and leave my bike at the hotel for them to get the next day. I ask the hotel owners if its ok if I leave my bike there overnight and they said no problem so we pack up and I get on the bus while they take off on their bikes.

The bus was actually really nice and it only took about a hour. It dropped me off somewhere in town and I had no idea where Jeff and Shane were so I called Shane and he explained where they were but no one in town seemed to know where I was talking about so I ended up taking 3 taxi's to 3 randoms places and eventually found them at Hotel Angels where they had gotten a room for us.

www.mauidualsport.com
Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 27 Zihuatanejo

I spent most of the day just resting and doing some computer stuff while Shane and Jeff doubled up on the KLR and rode back to Lazaro Carrenas to get my XR650 that we had left at the hotel and bring it back here to Zihuatanejo. Took them about 4 hours but they successfully got both bikes back to our hostel and we then walked around town and chilled at the beach for a bit. I really like this town, its a good mix of genuine mexican fishing village with some touristy stuff to do and some good bars. I think we picked a good spot to hang out at for a while.

www.mauidualsport.com
Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Get up before 10am and get some huevo's mexicana at the restaurant downstairs before we go and meet our "guide" we met the day before to go out to Ixtapa Island for the day. We are kind of late and missed the van so he walks us through town to the bus station where we catch a bus into the next town of Ixtapa.
A very lively senior meets up with us there and we get in his pimped out van complete with "Mexican style" midevil trap door lever opener.
He introduces himself as Neopolean and starts going off about how he just got a 22 year old barbie doll wife and how he is 48 years old and not handsome. This guy is seriously pumped on his situation and we hear all about it the rest of the day. He explains to us how he will be our tour guide, dive master, and captain for the day. Great guy for sure.
We get out the van and jump onto a boat where he takes us across the ocean to a little island with a bunch of Polapas and restaurants. We get out own little table and umbrella and he tells us about their lunch special that is a whole red snapper fish with quote "corn for rabbits" meaning carrots, lol.
Spend most the day lounging in the sun and drinking beers and Margarita's and Shane and Jeff go snorkeling while I just chill cause my shoulder is still screwed up. I bust out my ipod speakers and listen to some music because what is a Mexican Island vacation without some gangster rap right?

They get back from snorkeling and we have a very good lunch and then decide to go explore the island a bit.
We walk up some cliffs that lead to another very nice beach and get some more beers there and lay out on the lounge chairs for a bit.

Continue around another cove and find a corral beach with no one on it. I see a little pathway through the brush and we hike up a mountain and around the island eventually meeting back up with the original beach we started at.

Go for a swim and I do some stretches for my shoulder in the water and it is getting better I can tell. I can almost move it in most every direction without alot of pain, it probably just needs a few more days before I would be able to ride again but I am skeptical on if I am going to be doing permanent damage if I continue on this trip without letting it heal completely. Ive gotten so many mixed answers from people. Alot of older guys say I need to fly home and let it heal or its going to be a life long problem while some people say just tough it out and see what happens.
By now it is almost time to go back so we load back on the boat with about 10 people over the weight limit and go back to shore.
Back into the van and now we have 2 drunk Mexican guys with us and Nepolean says he is going to go pick up his girlfriend along the way so we can meet her, cool. He picks her up on the side of the road and she is not barbie doll status or what we pictured from his description but good for him she seemed nice. We get dropped off somewhere in Ixtapa and say bye then hop on a bus back to Zihuatanejo and head to our hostel to rest up for whatever we get into tonight.

www.mauidualsport.com
Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 29-30

Been just takin it easy pretty much the last couple days in Zihuatanejo, walking around town and going to the beach. Met pretty much everyone in town and felt like locals by the first few days. I tried to ride for the first time since the accident on friday and it went decently well. I used Jeff's bike since it is much easier to ride mellow. We set up a little arm rest on the gas tank so I can ride with one hand and my messed up one resting when we are crusing on the highway, feels much better. We became friends with Harry the owner of one of the bars in town and he showed us some good times at night. Zihuatanejo is for sure a place I will come back and visit, probably my favorite town of the trip.

www.mauidualsport.com
Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
Mendo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 31 3/7/09 Zihuatanejo to Aculpoco

I was seriously contemplating leaving my bike in Mazatlan at Glenn's and flying home to heal my arm and then fly back later and get it but decided to keep going and just take it easy until it feels better. Jeff is now riding my XR and I am riding his KLR. We left Zihuatanejo around 11am and headed south to Aculpoco. The ride went well and my shoulder only hurt mildly until we got into Aculpoco and the traffic was just a mess. Moving at slow speeds and turning the handle bars while not moving puts alot of strain on my shoulder. We got past the traffic and onto the Beach Area and found our Hostel. Great place with a big bar and terrace overlooking the ocean and the most people our age we have seen since Cabo.
^^^ View from hostel on main strip

We walked around town for a bit and checked out the scene it looks pretty crazy. It is spring break here so tonight could get out of hand, to be continued....

Update from last night. Wow where to start. First of all EVERYONE we talked to said don't go to Aculpoco it sucks you wont have fun its dangerous...blah blah blah.
Ended up hanging out at the hostel until about 1am and then going out. Haggled our way into a huge club called Paradise with open bar all night. There were probably about 1500 people there and the place was going nuts. I have never been to a actual spring break event like on TV and it was pretty much exactly as I expected. Wet T-shirt contests, huge swimming pool, girls in bikini's...ect.
It was spring break for all the colleges in Mexico so it was all Latin people besides us and a few other guys from Chicago and Canada. I mentioned earlier how we were always getting shy provocative looks from all the local girls on the trip and didn't know what to think of it exactly until tonight. They were not shy anymore, it was almost comical. Our Spanish is still very bad. I guess it doesen't matter. Not going to get into details but it was one of the best nights so far. Were out until the sun rose and it was still 75 degree's out the whole night.

I didn't sleep at all and got back to our hostel at about 8:30am and met back up with Shane and Jeff. It was about 100 degree's out by now and we packed up and left town.

www.mauidualsport.com