Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
austinl08
Austin

Oddometer: 15
great pictures. next time in planning these let me know i live in lake charles and dont mind the ride there to jennings to take an adventure.
Austin.
austinl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #17
divingbiker
True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Thanks for posting

I enjoyed seeing your post. As a lifetime resident of Louisiana I appreciate all that our state has to offer. Thanks for showing others.

'09 F800GS
"09 KLR 650
'08 Harley Davidson CVO Ultra Classic
'04 F650GS
divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #18
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,424
More LA 82

Okay, letís see , where were we. Yes, La 82 westbound.
Letís start off with a map of where I went today

It was a good day for riding. Temperatures in the high 70ís , about a 15 to 20 mph wind out of the South. The trees and high shrubs really helped out on blocking most of this wind. There were many turtles and little alligators out basking in the sun. As soon as you stopped to get a picture, off they would go. The turtles went diving off what ever branch or stump sticking out of the water they were on. The alligators just would sink out of sight or scamper back into the water. Many times I didnít see the gator till the last moment and had to turn about to try to get a pictures and they would submerge before I got to them. But , I did get a couple pictures of them.

This where a good sized on was when I passed but hit the water and was gone by the time I got turned and stopped. So, took a picture of the ever present oil well locations.

And Bandit waiting patiently for me to return to the road.

We get to see more damage to home, some abandon since Rita.

All the road word you have been and will be seeing was done since Hurricane Ike. Lots of road damage. All this gravel was hauled in and put in place as the storm washed most of it away and undermined the north side of the road.

Following are several shots of LA 82 shortly after Ike. You can see the undermined damage before repairs and lots of gravel hauled in.

Back to the present.

Want to buy a school? This one was probably just too much to repair the second time. Iím really not sure if it ever was reopened after Rita. But Ike finalized any plans to rebuild Iím sure.

Probably would make an interesting home. ;-)

Cajun Humor Da Camp is no meaux.

Pics of the land behind and in front of Camp Seaux. Not a lot of protection from the elements out here. Just coastal marsh and prairie from the gulf to beyond.
Actually, looking out across the lands towards the gulf, you could never tell a storm had passed except for piled grass in places and waterways choked with it. But when I comes to anything humans have added. Itís destroyed to the most part.

A series of road shots while just riding along.

Now we are getting to the Rockerfeller Reserve. Very large sanctuary. Fishing is allowed at times of the year. Iím not sure if this one is restricted at all. But you can be sure your catch stands a good chance of being checked when you get back to the landing if not before.

More homes along the way. We are in the Grand Chenier area here.

The ever present shrub and tree lined road.

Then we get to the Refuge Headquarters. They pretty much withstood damage from both Rita and Ike due to being well above ground except for the maintenance sheds.

We come up on one of the many Gas Plants along the coast.

All the gas and oil from the gulf come through stations like this and sent on further north for processing. First order is getting these places back on line after major storms so platforms in the gulf can get back on line. For Ike I think it was in the order of 54 platforms destroyed and many many more damaged. The platform I was one for this one had minor damage at the bottom from a stairway coming loose and bending up some piping. But the platform I was sending my product to , about 1 mile away from me, was laid over on itís side under water. They are hoping to have my old work place back on line in October. After having to add a lot of equipment and run a couple of pipelines. Much expense and paperwork with the government.

Two pictures of the platform that went down that I was shipping my product to. Plans are to replace it with a bigger Platform in the future.

An office check. You can kinda sorta see the map on my GPS of the road between the waters of the area.

Then the Mermentau River Bridge.

This river actually starts right near Jennings, above Mermentau. I can put in at the Bayou Nezpique which joins with Bayou Plaquemine and Bayou des Canes to form the River which flows to the gulf.

Well , at this time , my cameraís batteries expired so that ended the picture taking. But I turned north on a little road right after the bridge and went to Little Chenier Ridge as I had not been there in a long time. All looked pretty good there and in good repair. Then it was home bound.

Now , All I have left to get is the interesting part from Cameron, over the ferry and to Port Arthur , Texas.

Thanks for riding with me on this part of the Coastal 82 ride.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinl08
great pictures. next time in planning these let me know i live in lake charles and dont mind the ride there to jennings to take an adventure.
Austin.
Great and thanks. I'm retired and just take off when ever I get an urge. Nothing planned. I generally try to ride during the weekdays and leave the weekends to the weekenders. Less traffic that way.

My next segment will be from Cameron to Port Arthur. Not sure when as of yet though.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #20
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397

Why are you using your right hand to take pics??!!!
Throttle lock?

You're scaring me, old man!!!!

Cool local report!!!! Keep it coming!!
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #21
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingbiker
I enjoyed seeing your post. As a lifetime resident of Louisiana I appreciate all that our state has to offer. Thanks for showing others.
Thanks, I don't believe I've ever seen a South Louisiana report. I've traveled from Maine to Washington State and most all states between by motorcycle and had never done a report so decided to get my feet wet with just a simple Louisiana one.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #22
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach

Why are you using your right hand to take pics??!!!
Throttle lock?

You're scaring me, old man!!!!

Cool local report!!!! Keep it coming!!
I have the Throttlemieser ingauged. ;-). With that camera I can't really get my left hand to work it as the button is on the far right side. Dang, I would really scare you as quite a few are with no hands, just using my body to control the bike when safe and feasible.

I'll look into what I can do about using the left hand. Just never really tried to be honest.

achesley screwed with this post 03-10-2009 at 10:37 AM
Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #23
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
I have the Throttlemieser ingauged. ;-). With that camera I can't really get my left hand to work it as the button is on the far right side. Dang, I would really scare you as quite a few are with no hands, just using my body to control the bike when safe and feasible.
I thought I was taking risks!! BE careful!
I use my left hand for the camera even though I'm right handed naturally. I'll keep it in a lower gear and rev a little high so a can just back off the throttle if I need to slow down Vs. lugging the motor and risking a stall if I need to brake suddenly.

How quick can you dump the throttle lock if you need to?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #24
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
I thought I was taking risks!! BE careful!
I use my left hand for the camera even though I'm right handed naturally. I'll keep it in a lower gear and rev a little high so a can just back off the throttle if I need to slow down Vs. lugging the motor and risking a stall if I need to brake suddenly.

How quick can you dump the throttle lock if you need to?
Just a friction lock. Camera in on a strap around my neck, Can drop it and over ride the throttle pronto. I'm checking out holding the camera with my left hand right now. ;-). I'll practice this on my next outing . Thanks for pointing this out to me peach. Just never thought of it too much.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #25
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
Just a friction lock. Camera in on a strap around my neck, Can drop it and over ride the throttle pronto. I'm checking out holding the camera with my left hand right now. ;-). I'll practice this on my next outing . Thanks for pointing this out to me peach. Just never thought of it too much.
Only 'cause I care, sugar
Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #26
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Nice report. Coastal marshes are cool. More please.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #27
KTMandu
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 328
Keep up the report Andy. It's great.
I've traveled that road many, many times going to work at the Cameron courthouse. Only in the cage though. I need to do it on my sickle - perferably before it gets too hot-n-sticky.
Haven't been back to the area since either storm. Tried to go to Cameron after Rita but they still had the checkpoints in place and wouldn't let me go any further.
00 300 EXC
KTMandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #28
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMandu
Keep up the report Andy. It's great.
I've traveled that road many, many times going to work at the Cameron courthouse. Only in the cage though. I need to do it on my sickle - perferably before it gets too hot-n-sticky.
Haven't been back to the area since either storm. Tried to go to Cameron after Rita but they still had the checkpoints in place and wouldn't let me go any further.
Thanks for the reply, Yes , right after Rita it was all closed up. Both the Old IC bridge and the Mermentau bridges were out. And a few complete road wash throughs. Even worst after Ike. But it's all open now. You'll enjoy the ride. Be sure to have plenty of gas after Cow Island as the next is Cameron. And, they only had Premium last time I filled up there.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #29
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750
Nice report. Coastal marshes are cool. More please.
Thanks for the reply and glad yur enjoying it. I have one more segment to do between Cameron to Port Arthur. Hopefully in a couple of day. 'spose to rain a bit but I have rain gear so not a problem.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #30
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Only 'cause I care, sugar
AWWWWWWW Peach, you gonna have me BLUSHING