Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #31
fried okra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I enjoyed the pics......ever take any pics of the old honky-tonk dance halls in SW Louisiana??

Like the Rodare Club near Beaumont, Bourques in Lewisburg, LaPoussiere in Breaux Bridge, Triangle Club near Rayne, DI's near Basile, etc.

It's a shame to see these places are dwindling away.

fried okra
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #32
owtcast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
The Rodair is no more. It was outside the levy when Ike hit. There was 12-15 feet of water on the outside of the levy, and if you remember, the Rodair was the first building on the other side of the levey bridge on Hwy 365.
Great report achesley. I live right across the TX/LA border. Actually drove some of your route on Sunday coming home after camping at Sam Houston Jones State Park last weekend. Really nice park and it was a nice day so the family and I took the "scenic" route home through Hackberry and Johnson's Bayou. I hadn't been through there since Ike but, it just verified my suspicions. I work in Sabine Pass and it looks similar... or worse. A few pics I took of Ike damage can be found here.>
http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/r.../hurricaneIKE/

Cell phone quality but, you get the idea. That washed out highway was the north levy road on Pleasure Island. It took two feet of earth and asphault away.
owtcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #33
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by fried okra
I enjoyed the pics......ever take any pics of the old honky-tonk dance halls in SW Louisiana??

Like the Rodare Club near Beaumont, Bourques in Lewisburg, LaPoussiere in Breaux Bridge, Triangle Club near Rayne, DI's near Basile, etc.

It's a shame to see these places are dwindling away.

fried okra
I really don't know any of these clubs except DI's on the Evangiline Basile Road. That place is a big time restaurant serving great food and most nights, has a french band playing. My wife's favorite place to go eat by the way.
Many of the old clubs are gone. When Louisiana raised it's drinking age from 18 to 21, it really killed the business. Then the increased awareness and heavy fines for Drunk Driving helped lots too. I remember as a kid when we had more bars than churches in SW Louisiana . But, not the case anymore. The churches are ahead about 20 to 1 now.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 AM   #34
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtcast
The Rodair is no more. It was outside the levy when Ike hit. There was 12-15 feet of water on the outside of the levy, and if you remember, the Rodair was the first building on the other side of the levey bridge on Hwy 365.
Great report achesley. I live right across the TX/LA border. Actually drove some of your route on Sunday coming home after camping at Sam Houston Jones State Park last weekend. Really nice park and it was a nice day so the family and I took the "scenic" route home through Hackberry and Johnson's Bayou. I hadn't been through there since Ike but, it just verified my suspicions. I work in Sabine Pass and it looks similar... or worse. A few pics I took of Ike damage can be found here.>
http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/r.../hurricaneIKE/

Cell phone quality but, you get the idea. That washed out highway was the north levy road on Pleasure Island. It took two feet of earth and asphault away.

Neat pictures and thanks for the link. I did some pictures right after Rita and then again after Ike on some sections down the coast and lower Lake Charles. Awesome damage. For Rita, Jennings had lots of trees down into homes and zero power for a few weeks. I lucked out on all of them so far. Just branches and stuff all over the place but no home or building damage. I had a messed up yard for both Gustav and Ike. But one was to the east or good side of us and the other to the west or bad side. ;-)
I just could not believe Holly Beach. Totally wiped off the map.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #35
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
AWWWWWWW Peach, you gonna have me BLUSHING

Good!
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #36
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Part III Cameron to Port Arthur, Tx.

Finally had a good weather day and finished Honey Do Things. 10:AM came up and decided to make a run to the coast. Bandit checked out. Loaded and ready to ride.
First, a pic of the track file on my southern run today. I didn’t include all of my path down there or back to Jennings.

Saw many turtles crossing the roads down here. Spring and egg laying happening for sure. So have to watch for the turtles and occasional alligators crossing the back roads just to get to the other side. Some going one way, some going the other way.

Watched this plane planting rice ( I assume as I was not close enough to see what was coming out but since no spray, didn’t think it was pesticide or fertilizer.) Lots of that happening in South Louisiana at this time of year.

One of the why’s on riding bikes is that’s the closest you can get to flying on the ground with the leaning and such. Probably why I’ll possible never have a 3 wheeler.

Got loaded up on the Cameron Ferry. Some new people loading and it was confusing at first. Generally they just have me pull over to the rail on the ferry but this new gal had me right in the middle of everything till the guy came by and rearrange us. Heck , gotta learn sometimes.

People loading up a work boat to go one of the rigs in the gulf.

Rig count is really down bad since the price of oil dropped so far. Saw quite a few boats just sitting there. No crew. That means about 8 people per boat in the unemployment line on the average.

The gateway to the Gulf of Mexico here and to the right side of the picture you can see this series of buildings and boats. As I got around to it when getting off the ferry, the smell hits you first.

These large boats go out and find large schools of what’s call Pogo fish. The little boats run the nets around the school of fish and run the lines back to the boat. Then the fish are hauled in. They even use fix wing aircraft to spot the schools and guide the big boats to them.

Following are a few landscape pictures of the area from the Ferry to Holly Beach. You can see where they had to replace lots of road surface and haul in lots of gravel to fix it for the next hurricane to chew up again.

Cross this guy riding a ZX1400, First bike other than crusier types that I saw today.

The next place we come upon it Holly Beach which use to be a really big weekend party spot before Rita changed all that.

The above is an old picture of Holly Beach pre Rita. Below is a pic I took about 4 months after Rita when several of us did a Saturday ride to see how it was.

Then we have an aerial shot of the before and after Rita phase.

Now we have the rebuilding phase. Many have choose not to come back as all alone the coast after two hits in a few years wiped everything out. But the new building codes seems to be working as what was built to them after Rita survived Ike.

And quite a few up and down the beaches just prefer to use campers.

At places, really fine homes built. Or, a heck of a camp. ;-)

The next shots are of a coastal saving project. These lines of rock are letting the beach build up behind them. Seems to be working.

And out shrimp boat running the coast.

A GPS shot so you can see that we are leaving the coastline and getting a bit more inland as we head for Texas.

There are several little beach communities along the way from Holly Beach to Port Arthur. Starting with Constance Beach.

You really need to watch what’s in front of you as these roads are still pretty torn up. Sight see too much and your in trouble.

Thought this sign was kinda cute so just had to include it. They don’t want you to have any doubt about the end of the road. ;-)

The next pictures are of the remains of road and cabins along the beach. Most of this was never redo since Rita and then here came Ike.

Some more beach cities along the way.

One of several gas plants along the beach road. All this product is coming from offshore platforms. I used to be one of the guys offshore sending it to some of these plants.

Getting to the area know as Johnson Bayou. Totally wiped out by Rita, rebuilt a little then wiped out again by Ike. I think that was the end of the row for lots of people unless they worked at the plants along the way.

What you mainly have now is trailer villages.

Long and lonely road along the coast. Headed for Texas.

Work being done on a Jack up rig in port. Probably working on the legs would be the reason for it being that high in port.
I was a mechanic on these guys for 6 years. Never without something to work on.

Tanker truck fill up with oil at a job site. Quite a few to these little storage tanks through out Louisiana and Texas. Local wells send their oil to the little storage tanks and these trucks have a regular route in which they transport from there to a refinery.

Building a new bridge coming into Texas.

A couple pictures of the ship channel headed North to Port Arthur. Once in awhile you’ll meet a big tanker or freighter on this stretch of road. But, not today. ;-(.

Work being done on a large Simi – Submersible , called floaters in the oil patch. I was a mechanic on these guys for about 2 years. They actually float on spontoons and are held in place by 8 large anchors. Tension on these anchors are usually in the 260 to 290 thousand pound range.

Headed for the bridge over the channel. Very tall bridges in this part of Texas.

From the top of the same bridge.

Many many refineries in this part of the world.

It had been a year or better since I first found this place so had to stop and take a few pictures.

Timing was great as this bird flew over as I was getting off Bandit.

Now a few pictures of the place.

This set up here had history on all of America’s Wars.

And the last photo I took today.

After this it was head for home going up to Orange, Tx. Then connecting on I=10 back to home.

Already thinking of what I’m going to do next. Maybe just chase highways across Louisiana. I think a Chasing the Original US 90 across Louisiana would be a good project.

achesley screwed with this post 03-23-2009 at 07:39 PM
Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #37
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Again...thanks for sharing. The Gulf coast really has a beauty all it's own.
Nice to see the rebuilding process as I'm sure it's a tough decision to make having 2 storms that close together.

Myself, the wife and our 2 teenagers will be flying into Houston in a couple weeks where we will rent a car and head to S. Padre Island for a some R&R.

We only did this trip just 2 years ago and the kids are up for going again. I really enjoy the birding the coast marshes have to offer and the cactus bloom S. Texas has that time of year...oh...and the tex/mex eateries.
Sometimes I swear I'm still driving in Alberta with all the big pick-up trucks that you see on the roads down there.
cheers.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #38
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397

the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #39
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,690
Quote:
Great and thanks. I'm retired and just take off when ever I get an urge. Nothing planned. I generally try to ride during the weekdays and leave the weekends to the weekenders. Less traffic that way.

My next segment will be from Cameron to Port Arthur. Not sure when as of yet though.

Hi Andy!

When did you become retarded, I mean retired?

Donnie

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 03-23-2009 at 09:35 PM
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #40
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie
Hi Andy!

When did you become retarded, I mean retired?

Donnie
\

Heck Donnie
Always been retarded How can a person be involved with the oil patch for almost 50 years and not be.

I shut it down in January due to lay offs. I took a voluntary layoff so some younger dude would not be layed off. I'll officially be on SS the 29th of this month when reaching 66. Still waiting on the VA to come about. Heck, they are slower than SS and Medicare.

Picked up an '04 DR 650 SE in Austin, Tx a few days ago to play around on and see how I like it. Just the few miles I've rode it, it sure isn't my old KLR.

Soon as I get a few more things settled out here, I'll get over there for coffee and BS.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #41
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,690
Quote:
\

Heck Donnie
Always been retarded How can a person be involved with the oil patch for almost 50 years and not be.

I shut it down in January due to lay offs. I took a voluntary layoff so some younger dude would not be layed off. I'll officially be on SS the 29th of this month when reaching 66. Still waiting on the VA to come about. Heck, they are slower than SS and Medicare.

Picked up an '04 DR 650 SE in Austin, Tx a few days ago to play around on and see how I like it. Just the few miles I've rode it, it sure isn't my old KLR.

Soon as I get a few more things settled out here, I'll get over there for coffee and BS.

Sounds like plan!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #42
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
wow.

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #43
RevJVegas
CG Inmate

Oddometer: 12
Great Ride Reports!

Hey Andy,
Thanks for the excellent write ups on the gulf coast roads.

I'm originally from LaRose and now live in Houston.
Planning to do a ride from Galveston to Grand Isle via roads closest to the gulf.

Trickiest part will be getting from 124/87 in Tx near High Island to Sabine Pass. All that road is gone, but its nice to see from your reports that on the other side of that, things look basically ok.
F650GS.net -- CG#1906 -- IBA#25093
RevJVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #44
damoace
PinderBuilt

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
I have the Throttlemieser ingauged. ;-). With that camera I can't really get my left hand to work it as the button is on the far right side. Dang, I would really scare you as quite a few are with no hands, just using my body to control the bike when safe and feasible.

I'll look into what I can do about using the left hand. Just never really tried to be honest.
Cool shots chap, I have the same problem and got around it by holding the Digicam upside down. That means my left thumb is on the button *and* I can see the screen too .

Only bummer is having to turn all the pix right way up in Irfanview when I get back.....

Works for me even though I'm a freak in the thumb department...

WWW.BMRIDER.COM
damoace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #45
damoace
PinderBuilt

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach

Turtle Curling - A new summer asphalt sport?

WWW.BMRIDER.COM
damoace is offline   Reply With Quote