Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #46
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJVegas
Hey Andy,
Thanks for the excellent write ups on the gulf coast roads.

I'm originally from LaRose and now live in Houston.
Planning to do a ride from Galveston to Grand Isle via roads closest to the gulf.

Trickiest part will be getting from 124/87 in Tx near High Island to Sabine Pass. All that road is gone, but its nice to see from your reports that on the other side of that, things look basically ok.
Yes , it's a good ride from Port Arthur to the Intracoastal City area then you have to go up and catch LA 14 at Abbeville and follow it to New Iberia to catch US 90 East. If you have the time, get on all the available portions of 182 which is the old 90. They are turning 90 into an Interstate to New Orleans.
Going into New Iberia and doing the old scenic route is so much more fun.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #47
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoace
Cool shots chap, I have the same problem and got around it by holding the Digicam upside down. That means my left thumb is on the button *and* I can see the screen too .

Only bummer is having to turn all the pix right way up in Irfanview when I get back.....

Works for me even though I'm a freak in the thumb department...

I need to get some ambition and get back to taking pictures on a few roads I want to do write ups on. I shall practice using the left hand. My camera is an Olympia Z model and kinda bulky. I started keeping it on the strap around my neck instead of in the tank bag so that should help. Thanks for the upside down tip. I'll look into it next run.
I never really look at the viewfinder or the screen when moving , I just point and shoot kinda gun sighting over the view finder. Took a few shots to get the angles down right. Kinda like windage when your shooting. ha ha ha ha

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #48
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

We have lots of turtles crossing the back roads down here in South Louisiana. I try to stop and get them off the road in the direction they are heading if I'm just out and about. What's sad is some of the GOOD OLD GUYS make a sport of trying to catch just the edge of their shell with a truck tire and spit them to the side, often crushing the turtle. If many see a large turtle crossing the road it goes in the back of the truck or trunk of the car, taken home, cleaned and froze till they have enough turtle meat to make a good meal with. Turtle meat is very good eating.
Several times this spring I have run up on an alligator crossing the road. Generally when they spot you, they move quite fast to the ditch. You really don't wanna hit one.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #49
RevJVegas
CG Inmate

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
If you have the time, get on all the available portions of 182 which is the old 90. They are turning 90 into an Interstate to New Orleans.
Going into New Iberia and doing the old scenic route is so much more fun.
Exactly my plan!

I've driven that stretch of 90 from Lafayette to Morgan City way too many times while in the cage. Not much to see along that route but sugar cane fields.

Then continue the old 90 to the back of Houma.

I'm even going to brave it and drive through Golden Meadow on LA1 instead of the bypass on my way to the Island.
F650GS.net -- CG#1906 -- IBA#25093
RevJVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #50
Hetzel88
cycles is a mean toy

Oddometer: 164
Cool thread. It's nice to see all the familiar roads and sights from my youth. I grew up in Hathaway and lived in the white two story house at the end of Norh Cutting across from the stop sign. I spent time at both Rutherford and later Holly Beach. I stil have a lot of friends that live around Hackberry. We used to catch a lot of bass in the marsh around Bayou Black. I don't get down that way much anymore but I still remember and love it.
Hetzel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #51
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Can you believe my daughter teaches 4th grade in Hathaway? I live not far from Piggly Wiggly on Church St.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #52
Hetzel88
cycles is a mean toy

Oddometer: 164
I spent twelve years in the old non air conditioned school building. Was glad to move out then but miss the country life badly now. I hope to move back after I retire. Thanks for the report.
Hetzel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #53
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Just testing a new windshield

Received a new Zero Gravity Touring Screen and Installed it. It's about 2 inches taller than the Givi Touring I've been running. Thing I'm trying to do is get the air flow out of my faceshield and to the top of the helmet more or less. Just enough to have the vents working for me on the helmet.
Also practicing using my left hand to take pictures on the fly with my bulky Minolta Z3 and not hit some of the other function buttons in the process.

The look behind the new shield.

The look more down to the bottom of it.
Love the shield. Really could of used about an inch or 2 higher but it's really very close what I was use to on my DL1000 with the stock windshield spaced out at the bottom. Not quite as good as my Adv windshield set up on my R1150GS though.

Typical US 12/190 East bound scenery in the Western Part of the State between the Texas Border and US 171. The Louisiana portion of US 12 starts from Texas and ends at the US 171 junction. From there US 190 takes over all the way to Slidel.

A rear view mirror shot to show a friend that I was practicing with my left hand instead of my usual right hand.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #54
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Views along US 12 / 190

I then happened on a gathering of people at the junction of US 12/190 and 171. Saw a few older trucks so, did what any old mechanical minded , ex-mechanic would do. Turning about at the first chance and came back to see what was happening. At first I thought it was just a gathering of old cars and trucks. Due to these being here.

In talking to a few people, found out it was a gathering benefit for Breast Cancer Survivors. Really neat. Then had a band playing '60 and '70 rock and rock and some country. Probably about 150 people there. Being as it was about 2PM and this had been going on since about 8:AM, I was told I miss about 1/2 the old cars and trucks that had came.

Then at a distance I spotted this car that I miss while I was getting back to my bike.

Really neat.
Then, put the cam away and fired up the Bandit and completed my round test the windshield trip of about 180 miles for the afternoon.
Just shows you can never tell what you may run across tooling about the back roads. Interstate 10 having taken the bulk of the traffic load off these US highways long ago.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #55
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

A new planting season

Had been playing the camera game for a bit. Wanted to try a large frame DSLR but found it too much to handle on the bike so sold it and the lens. Next, picked up a little Canon G12 which I think is gonna be just peachy.
So , off to Southwest Louisiana back roads and see what's happening and changing. The first group of pictures were with the Minolta Dimage and Pentax Optio.

Planting rice is the big thing at this time of year. Then as soon as it gets to looking good , flood it.

So far , the pictures up have been taken with my little pocket camera. Mostly on the fly.

Then roaming up a ways on US 171 North of Lake Charles.

We find abandon barns in grassy fields

And never forget this is Crawfish season in South Louisiana.

Right next to a field with the rice just coming up.

And one down the road just starting to flood.

Will be uploading some more pics to my photobucket account later today. I can't get them to IMG out of the Picasa account. Oh well.
The area I covered with this set was Northwest of Jennings to about 50 miles. Next will be Southwest area.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #56
Daryl A
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Thanks for the pics. I almost bought a Canon G12 myself. In the end, decided on a Nikon P7000. I like it. I'm sure I would have liked the Canon as well.
Daryl A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #57
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

LA 1126, LA 380 Thornwell, LA 92 Morse LA 91 Esterwood

This ride was in the area SW the to the East of Jennings. I'm dead in the middle of Farmland, Bayous, Gullys and small farm towns.
Heading out South on LA26 , connecting with LA1126 West. Farmland.

Straight roads, rice fields, farm houses is the norm for this area. Also an idea of how I hold my Canon G12 while riding and shooting pictures. 90% of the time, I have all these roads to myself.
And we do have lots of cattle being raise by many farmers

Many fresh rice fields. Some just sprouting and some being or already flooded.

Crawfish harvesting on LA 1126. Everyone really working the fields this week getting ready for the Easter weekend. Many pounds of crawfish is going to be put to good use. Yummy!

Over on LA 380 , more Crawfish harvesting happening. As said, Farmers busy even though we have a pretty good South wind feeding all those storms to the North.

Also come across a few farmers working their fields. Probably for soybean planting. With the dryness and strong South winds we've been having for the past week or so , not hard to spot them.

Some of the tools they drag across the fields to break up the dirt for planting.

At the far right of the picture , an unused crawfish boat.

In the distance, the community of Thornwell. A small farm village of maybe a dozen homes, a major rice dryer and chemical warehouse which sells all kinds of things besides chemicals. LA 380 leads to and away from Thornwell.

Will have to up load more photos before continuing on with this day. I try to ride everyday and depending on the mode, sometimes on my '00KLR , other times, my '07 Bandit S.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #58
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Great report! Nice to see what's been happening down there since the storms. Thanks for sharing your ride.

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #59
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

While in the mode gonna try to catch up todate on this roaming about.

Came into the small town of Morse. First to catch the eye is the General Repair shop. Just don't see that often now days.

Then not too far down the road, Morse's gathering spot. Mee Mee's. Food , Beer, etc.

Coming out of Morse, on LA 91 we come up on an icon in old Honky Tonks of the area. RAY LEE'S. This was a very popular place in the 70's and early 80's. After the original owners shut it down, it was leased and reopen a few times but without success. Now just sits dormant , aging away, with so many memories for so many people of our area.

Crossing over to US 90 and the Old Spanish Trail ( the original US 90 before paving it and moving it to the North Side of the railroad tracks ) . We turn East on 90 heading to Esterwood, La. Then turn North again on LA 91 headed for the Egan, La. turn off. One of the old draw bridges of the area gets you across Bayou Plaquemine.

Then a nice curvy road for a few miles before getting to I-10 then home for the day

More later, Louisiana Rapids coming up. ;-)

Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #60
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

LA 383 from Kinder to Iowa, La.

I didn't really start taking pictures till on LA 383 out of Kinder, La. One of my favorite roads in that area as it filters through pine forest, fields and just plain forest land. Ending at US 90 in Iowa Louisiana.
A good South wind of 20 to 30 mph was blowing for the whole trips but the Bandit and I don't really get concerned about it. We just go. I see an American Flag standing straight due to the winds.

Then come upon a Southwest Louisiana Rapids on a back road.

And, looking on the other side of the bridge where the water is rapidly going on it's way.

Then , leaving Kinder, onwards down LA 383.

We come into the village of Indian Village. A few homes, 3 churches and a convenience store with a few homes scattered about.

Then the village disappearing in my rear view mirror.

And into the Forest.