Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #61
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
I didn't really start taking pictures till on LA 383 out of Kinder, La. One of my favorite roads in that area as it filters through pine forest, fields and just plain forest land. Ending at US 90 in Iowa Louisiana.
A good South wind of 20 to 30 mph was blowing for the whole trips but the Bandit and I don't really get concerned about it. We just go. I see an American Flag standing straight due to the winds.

Then come upon a Southwest Louisiana Rapids on a back road.

And, looking on the other side of the bridge where the water is rapidly going on it's way.

Then , leaving Kinder, onwards down LA 383.

We come into the village of Indian Village. A few homes, 3 churches and a convenience store with a few homes scattered about.

Then the village disappearing in my rear view mirror.

And into the Forest.
Darn...you went past my old home on 383. Kinda miss that house.

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #62
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,379
We keep getting hurricanes like the last 3 down here, Montana might just be the place to be.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #63
Daryl A
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63

Just wondering what you've got bolted to your windscreen? Does it help?
Daryl A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #64
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl A View Post
Just wondering what you've got bolted to your windscreen? Does it help?
That is a Zero Gravity Touring shield with a Laminar lip for the stock Bandit shield bolted on with instrumentation spacers. I put that together last year and loved it. A few weeks back I bought the new 22 inch touring shield from National Cycle but didn't like it as much as my combo. So, back on with the combo and sold the National Cycle. Unless you go with the Mustad set up, mine is the best protection and quietest I've tried out of about 5 different shields.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #65
revtech100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Great pics....the only thing I didn't see was the boiled peanuts!
2011 Kawasaki 110, 2013 Ural Gear Up
revtech100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 AM   #66
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 703
I.m really digging this thread, great to see your part of the country,your writing and photos really bring it to life

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #67
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

A run to the Bolivar Peninsula

Was in wonderment how the rebuilding process was happening since my last visit to the Bolivar Peninsula about 6 months or so ago. So, change oil and filter on the 1250S Bandit , also cleaned the chain with kerosene, wiped and lube. Adjustment was good. Prefighted the rest
Then off about 09:00 West bound on I 10 for Winnie, Tx. Stopping there for a fuel top off and Subway meal. Then the long ride into about a 15 mph wind to High Island, Tx. Then head right towards the beach cities that were wiped clean by Ike a few years back.
First thing I noticed was the washed ashore seaweed and trash for miles.

First looking East and then

Looking West

On this next picture you can see the haze caused by the strong South wind blowing spray and sand with it.

In fact I pasted a Utility Company water truck spraying the power line poles to dissolve the salt off the insulators.

I found the home interesting

I'm sure it's for a handycap person but hope they have an electric chair to get to the trailer.

Then there is the other homes being rebuilt and some not. Just old pilings left where a home or camp use to be.

Due to increasing wind and sand getting to the eyes once in awhile I turned about at Crystal Beach. By this time I had put my camera back in the ziplock bag for protection. So it was back to High Island and back towards Winnie taking the turn off of Port Arthur to come back to Louisiana via the beach route of 82. Going down the ship channel , there were two big ones coming at me.

Prestige New York. According to inet search. Last port was Karachi, Pakistan. And, as high up as it's water level is, probably coming to Texas for supplies.

The next was an Oil Tanker.

This Port Arthur area is eat up with refineries and all kinds of stuff so much shipping happening.

Now, it's along LA 82 East bound near Johnson Bayou. This city was wiped off the map by Rita, part rebuilt, then, cleaned out again by Ike. After strike two, many left.

The Government Attempt at rebuilding the coast line down here.

Plenty of time to play with the camera as not very much traffic ever down this long straight road.

More later, dinner done.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #68
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Louisiana Beach Villages?

Along the stretch from Johnson Bayou to Holly Beach are several little beach communities where camps and homes and trailers. Some of the bigger ones are located near oil field works. There used to be a Martin's Beach which has been renamed I'm thinking, as the sign is no longer there and a new one Mae's Beach is there.

They are pretty much all copies of each other , just more camps at some than others. I'll just let the pictures show what's at each one.

There is another road leading to these just off Mae's Beach. May be the old Martin Beach site.

Then Gulf Breeze Beach. These may not be in the exact order.

The Pink Camp really stands out among the others.

Little Florida Beach had about the most camps of all till you get to Holly Beach. You and see the Gas Processing Plant to the left of LA 82 which probably has lots to do with this.

Then we have Long Beach, not to be confused with Long Beach, California where I was stationed for near 14 months as Marine Detachment on USS Los Angeles and USS Oklahoma City Heavy Cruisers in '62,'63.

Sure seems like all that seaweed could be used to make something. After you get all the trash out if it.

I didn't go into Holly Beach today. Did take a picture of the only thing kin to a store there.

I'll dig up some pictures of Holly Beach later. It was really a thriving place till Rita came for a party and left nothing.
Next was the run to the ferry. I had seen a sign at Holly Beach that no big trucks allowed as the main ferry was out of order. I was curious to see what they had as I only know the big one. The loading ramp was in a different place and a side loading ferry.

You can see the sliding gate on rollers in this picture. They manually open it when tied up at the dock. Lower the ramp.

Everyone line up to go all the way around the Pilot House to the ramp in the other picture.

At this, I put the camera up and run the last 80 miles back to Jennings making it a 339 mile day. Good ride.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #69
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
Wow the changes are amazing!! The beach areas are so sad. Used to be a lot of real fun along those areas. The Cajun Riviera! So much was lost in Rita and Ike! Cameron Parish was a nice place to get away.

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #70
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

It's getting nice again except for the invasion of the seaweed at present. The Cajun Rivera > Holly Beach < will never be the same party animal it was before Rita sad to say. Only one little store in the whole place. Gas is now available in Cameron then that's it till Port Arthur going West and the far East side of Grand Chenier the other way.
Cameron is steady coming back to life and let's hope Maw Nature gives us a break for 40+ years as the distance between Audry and Rita storms.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #71
Daryl A
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
It's getting nice again except for the invasion of the seaweed at present. The Cajun Rivera > Holly Beach < will never be the same party animal it was before Rita sad to say. Only one little store in the whole place. Gas is now available in Cameron then that's it till Port Arthur going West and the far East side of Grand Chenier the other way.
Cameron is steady coming back to life and let's hope Maw Nature gives us a break for 40+ years as the distance between Audry and Rita storms.

I feel sorry for people's property loss and all, but I gotta admit, I like the deserted beaches better.
Daryl A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #72
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl A View Post
I feel sorry for people's property loss and all, but I gotta admit, I like the deserted beaches better.
Amen Daryl, Rutherford never looked so good.
Looks like you guys are fixing to get lots of water your way.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #73
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Vintage Bike Show near Maurice, La.

Today was bike show day. A close friend working at Southside Honda South of Lafayette,La. is involved with a yearly Vintage Bike Show they put on. Another very long time riding buddy joined my on his freshly redone '03 Triumph. Bored to 900? something from 850 with exhaust and larger carbs.
I'll just post a few of the pictures the pictures I took of the different bikes there.

Always an attention getter.

This beautiful A10 was sitting in the parking lot. He didn't even enter for the contest.

Beautifully redone BSA A 65. Won the European Class

The guy that the A 65 belongs to accepting his plaque. His comment was " I finally beat a Vincent "

I had never seen one of these before. Anyone can chime in on this unit?

This is an original Honda 500 Four. No restoring except for the paint job.

There were 4 Indians there. Was neat to see two of them fire up and drive off down the highway at the end.

What can you say. K Harley Flat tracker. The lady that rides this has won several races with it.

Several of the older Triumphs about. Always great looking bikes.

All in all, it was a great little meet with plaques given for Best European, Best American, Best Japanese, Best Scooter, Best Competition. All voted on by the people attending and just marking the number of the bike on the judging sheet. My Friend won best bike of show with his totally frame up rebuilt '74 Honda 750 Four, A good time with good friends.

achesley screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 07:17 AM
Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #74
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Had time to finally edit the pictures from Saturday at the Vintage Show.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #75
ScottFla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Wow, nice thread. I live on 90 in Florida. This thread made me look a little differently at that little road.... Thanks!
ScottFla is offline   Reply With Quote