Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
New photos - Do we even have a XT250 thread?

Old 09-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
07 Xt 250

here's a pic of my 07 up on Cape York

I built a real basic rack from small RHS

I actually made two, one to hold my saddle bags and a flat rack for around town. It weighed around 2kg. Very thin walled but certainly did the job on the rough terrain up the Cape.

TopEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,077
Laugh

Well instead of starting a different "XT250" thread lets keep this one going.

I love my XT250 fun little bike was out on some trails and gravel roads last weekend.
Had a blast.

Here's some photos from a while back.

You seen mine
Lets see yours

Fred
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #19
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Good place for an XT250 thread

I agree, lets keep this one going. I have an '08, bought it new. Love this bike. Rode it to work the last two summers, just got into some trail riding with it this year. Lots of good places to ride in Wyoming. It's pretty much done for the winter, I'll have to post some pictures when the riding weather returns. So far, the only mods I have done is a rear rack and uncorked the muffler. MAN did that give me some extra climbing power!
grubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #20
greenwater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
The XT is a great little bike

I have ridden mine to work on one day and across the desert the next. It's no enduro but this bike can ride a lot of different terrain pretty well.
greenwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #21
gypsyrr
in flux

Oddometer: 592
2008, XT250.
Big Bend, Texas - 2 weeks after I bought it used with 250 miles on it from a Harley Dealership 800 miles away.

Along Cinnamon Pass this summer.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #22
USAIR
picking and riding

Wow awesome photos

Fred
Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #23
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

My XT250

Well here is my offering for the board. Had the XT out today checking cows. This thing sees a lot of rough terrain on the ranch. We use bikes and four wheelers instead of horses. I also have a 93 XR250 that I love, but it seems like since I got this XT, I tend to take the longest and toughest route possible to get to the herd.....go figure. I like the bike even more since I did the muffler mod, climbs a lot better, more low end. I put the rear rack on, have a tank bag, tail bag, and hand guards on the way. This bike doesn't see a lot of highway, I ride it to work when the weather allows, but I can get there almost entirely on dirt, riding railroad rights-of-way. Anyway, here's a picture from the ranch, was cold out today (35 F) and snowed on me on the way home.

grubbie screwed with this post 05-20-2010 at 09:38 PM
Old 11-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #24
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
I'm sure the XT250 is a great dual sport bike. As for me, I bought my 2007 XT225 as a leftover, and just shortly after I bought it I heard they were dropping the XT225 for the new XT250. But that's all right, as the XT225 is a great one too.I love the six speed trans on the 225.I imagine the gear spacing on the 250 is such that you guys may not miss the sixth gear.On the XT225 1st gear is might low for street riding. There is a gent in England with a very high mileage XT250.I love the great gas mileage these smaller bikes get too!

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #25
USAIR
picking and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
I'm sure the XT250 is a great dual sport bike. As for me, I bought my 2007 XT225 as a leftover, and just shortly after I bought it I heard they were dropping the XT225 for the new XT250. But that's all right, as the XT225 is a great one too.I love the six speed trans on the 225.I imagine the gear spacing on the 250 is such that you guys may not miss the sixth gear.On the XT225 1st gear is might low for street riding. There is a gent in England with a very high mileage XT250.I love the great gas mileage these smaller bikes get too!

jon
Both about the same bike little more power in the 250.
And I had my 250 on the highways a few times and wish I had a 6th gear.
But I don't use the 250 for highway much so it's not a big deal.

Fred
Old 11-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #26
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,122
As a ex-XT 350 owner I was wondering how compareable the power was? Do the bikes need rejetting? The seat was comfy on my XT, hows the seat on the 250? In the previous pics there is one of Cinnamon Pass, where is that? It looks like N.M. or Colorado. I'm headed out to Big Bend next week and those pictures are spectacular!
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #27
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

6th gear

Actually the lack of 6th gear is one of the things that sold me on this bike. We get a lot of wind here, and a lot of hills as well. I test drove the XT250 and the CRF230 on the same day. As a matter of fact I actually went there to buy the Honda. Going up a small hill on the honda at 65 mph, slowed me down enough to have to gear down. Went into a small headwind and the same thing happened. The XT is at a higher rpm and that doesnt happen. It will do an easy 65mph into a hell of a headwind.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:10 AM   #28
FreckledAvenger
Trainee Stunt Double

Oddometer: 84
I have changed the sprockets on my XT250. I initially was running a 15/45 setup which makes 5th gear not quite as tall as 6th gear of the CRF230L (but taller than 6th on the XT225). This makes it much nicer on the highway and goes close to correcting the huge speedo error (which is nearly 10% over in stock form).

I also finally tracked down a 16 tooth sprocket that fits as well and changed the gearing to 16/45 however while this seems to be fine on the flat, it is not much good for hills or headwinds when on the highway. I will probably be going back to 15/45. Others have reported good results with a 15/44 setup.
FreckledAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #29
USAIR
picking and riding

The lack of 6th gear is no problem to me the way I ride.
I have a V-Strom for long trips and on gravel roads but for me at my skill level on dirt the V-Strom is just to heavy I dropped the Strom a couple of times and damn it's tough getting it back up.

The XT-250 for me is great when I get it really stuck I can at least drag the damn thing out and go back at it.
I just don't take long trips on the 250 and to me the seat sucks after a long ride my ass really hurts.

I love the bike when I was looking at Yamaha's I had a hard time between the WR-250R and the XT-250.
I think I made the right choice for me even though the WR-250R is a better bike...a lot better.

One other thing I think the original tires are two pieces on shit and I can't wait to switch them out to something else...anyone have any recommendations??

Fred
Old 11-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #30
robcfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
xt 250

http://thumbs.freewebs.com/Members/v...348&size=thumb

me at fontana dam in oct 2009

bought it new in 08 have over 8000 miles on it now

no major repairs just new tires and tune ups

how do you load pics from photobucket!!!!!????

robcfire screwed with this post 11-14-2009 at 06:01 PM
robcfire is offline   Reply With Quote