Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #31
gypsyrr
in flux

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat
As a ex-XT 350 owner I was wondering how compareable the power was? Do the bikes need rejetting? The seat was comfy on my XT, hows the seat on the 250? In the previous pics there is one of Cinnamon Pass, where is that? It looks like N.M. or Colorado. I'm headed out to Big Bend next week and those pictures are spectacular!

Cinnamon Pass is in Colorado - near Lake City.
You will have fun with the XT in Big Bend. And it's a nice time of year to be there. Here's some more from Big Bend since you are headed that way!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #32
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR
The lack of 6th gear is no problem to me the way I ride.
I have a V-Strom for long trips and on gravel roads but for me at my skill level on dirt the V-Strom is just to heavy I dropped the Strom a couple of times and damn it's tough getting it back up.

The XT-250 for me is great when I get it really stuck I can at least drag the damn thing out and go back at it.
I just don't take long trips on the 250 and to me the seat sucks after a long ride my ass really hurts.

I love the bike when I was looking at Yamaha's I had a hard time between the WR-250R and the XT-250.
I think I made the right choice for me even though the WR-250R is a better bike...a lot better.

One other thing I think the original tires are two pieces on shit and I can't wait to switch them out to something else...anyone have any recommendations??

Fred
I am the same way, not a lot of highway riding so i dont want to switch sprockets. I would lose the grunt that i have while climbing hills. I was gonna upgrade to a DR650 this year but just cant do it. I ride the rough stuff, off the roads, off the trails. So when I get in a jam the 250 is much easier to handle. The tires leave a lot to be desired, but they are made for on/off road so they are what they are. Not very good in the hills but I will run them until I wear them out. Those pics Kristi put up look a lot like SW Wyoming. Flaming Gorge has hundreds of miles of off-road riding trails if anyone gets down that way. I am on the other corner of the state but get down there a lot. Good fishing too!
grubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #33
MEDIC-0372
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I just put a windshield on mine...

I got the Clear Deflector Shield from National Cycle. I ordered it on Wed am and it showed up Friday afternoon. It's now on the bike and fits and works great.

Here it is.

Here is where I got it...
http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog...orScreen.shtml

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #34
RoughRider
elderly windbreaker

Oddometer: 122
Good Looking Tire...

What size Dunlop 606 did you use? Did you have to add a link to the chain?
I wanna get some of these for my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity
New photos - Do we even have a XT250 thread?

RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #35
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Gettin warmer!!!

45 degrees here today!! Time to get this thread going again. Got me some bags, hand guards, did some mods, built a homemade skid plate, took a short ride. Ready for spring! Let's wake up people!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #36
MEDIC-0372
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey...it's March 1st and it hit the upper 30's here and the roads were dry so I took the bike out for a short little trip. It felt great to get out. I can't wait for spring.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #37
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Had some extra time at work and found some material. Here is my homemade (okay, work made) skid plate.

grubbie screwed with this post 05-20-2010 at 09:38 PM
Old 03-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #38
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I'll add a photo of my '08. Bought her slightly used last year, and am very impressed with this bike. I'm coming from 650's, so I do occasionally miss the power, but the little XT is remarkably smooth and well-built.

I've had her on single track, and I've had her on multi-lane freeways. She just begs to please!

cell phone pic:

shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #39
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I've been considering the XT-250. Can you cruise at 70 without to much stress on the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoco
I'll add a photo of my '08. Bought her slightly used last year, and am very impressed with this bike. I'm coming from 650's, so I do occasionally miss the power, but the little XT is remarkably smooth and well-built.

I've had her on single track, and I've had her on multi-lane freeways. She just begs to please!

cell phone pic:

TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #40
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

I have had mine up to 80. I ride it to work a lot and it holds 65 real well, but I usually do 55-60. If you need to go 70mph for extended periods, you should go with a bigger bike. It's a great bike, but just not made for that.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #41
MEDIC-0372
Gnarly Adventurer

I can cruise at 65 mph with no problem but I think that cruising at 70 mph would be a little hard on it if you do it for a while.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #42
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9
I've been considering the XT-250. Can you cruise at 70 without to much stress on the engine?
I've got an '07 and went 2 teeth over on the front sprocket cos its fairly flat around here. I can sit on 70mph without any problem and often do.

TopEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #43
waAvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72

Anyone have experiences with an older 1984 Yamaha XT250L? Have an eye on a nice looking one with an older owner and 4500 miles for $1K. Thoughts?
waAvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #44
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by waAvr
Anyone have experiences with an older 1984 Yamaha XT250L? Have an eye on a nice looking one with an older owner and 4500 miles for $1K. Thoughts?
I remember when they came out. As I recall, I head all good things about them. They had the original "monoshock" linkless single rear shock setup.I would prefer that to a linked type. It's not as "good", but doesn't have a bunch of bearings/bushings/whatever to wear out and that needs to be taken apart and lubed either.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #45
Mondaze
WA State

Oddometer: 1
Puke Replacing 2009 XT-250 Handlebars

Wondering if anyone out there has gone through the pain of swapping out the stock handlebars on the Xt-250. I think the stock handlebar is a bit too low for me and sweeps out too far. Yamaha has all the cables running pretty tight with the stock bars and I wonder if re-cabling would be required. Let me know if you have any suggestions or links to possible replacement handlebars.
Mondaze is offline   Reply With Quote