Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #76
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
BTW- where is the actual XT250 thread any how. The xt225 thread is hugh and there are a few short threads for the XT250 ?
This what you are looking for?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403156

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #77
gordonlee
n00b

Oddometer: 5
2012 xt250 elem. epa stuff

has anyone removed all of the street stuff from the bike.
gordonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #78
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,028
CA is different and has more stuff, but here is a good start.

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...d&Number=35557

That's not my post, but I did that exact thing, took me MAYBE 20 minutes, including cutting a blocking plate, and didn't even pull the tank. Make sure to put a ziptie around the small nipple on the intake manifold, I didn't and it came off in a more aggressive ride that saw more than 2 foot deep creek crossings.

I think beyond that, there is just an evap can on the CA bikes, 150ron at XT225.com pulled that and just put a plug on air box and the tank line that connected to it, fairly sure.

That's pretty much it.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #79
Lucky:)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonlee View Post
has anyone removed all of the street stuff from the bike.
To make it lighter?
Lucky:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #80
gordonlee
n00b

Oddometer: 5
fmf powercore 4-best price

where can i get the best price on a fmf pipe for my 12 xt
gordonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #81
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
XT250 or CRF250L

Guys, I value your opinion so here it goes:
I've been researching what dual sport to buy for a few months now and I'm THIS close (I'm holding my fingers 1mm apart) to going to the Honda dealer this weekend and riding away with the new CRF250L. I'm inseam-challenged so, of course I've sat on EVERYTHING including scooters (don't shoot me!). I have to say for the money, I think the Honda wins over anything out there, at least on paper. But I feel the XT's seat combined with the low seat height was VERY comfy.
So, should I buy the XT mainly for the ease I feel at stop lights? Or should I pay less and get (again, on paper and in a lot of people's opinions) the "better" bike?
To be clear, I'd probably get either a slightly used or 2012 XT if I go the Yamaha route because at least THAT way, it'd be less expensive than the Honda. Yeah and the Honda's 8k mile maintenance intervals make it tough, too.
HELP! In a nutshell again, comfort vs. potentially everything else?
Thanks folks...I appreciate any input. And for those of you with your undies in a twist because I'm not yet an XT-250 owner, my apologies. ;-)
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #82
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDav View Post
Guys, I value your opinion so here it goes:
I've been researching what dual sport to buy for a few months now and I'm THIS close (I'm holding my fingers 1mm apart) to going to the Honda dealer this weekend and riding away with the new CRF250L. I'm inseam-challenged so, of course I've sat on EVERYTHING including scooters (don't shoot me!). I have to say for the money, I think the Honda wins over anything out there, at least on paper. But I feel the XT's seat combined with the low seat height was VERY comfy.
So, should I buy the XT mainly for the ease I feel at stop lights? Or should I pay less and get (again, on paper and in a lot of people's opinions) the "better" bike?
To be clear, I'd probably get either a slightly used or 2012 XT if I go the Yamaha route because at least THAT way, it'd be less expensive than the Honda. Yeah and the Honda's 8k mile maintenance intervals make it tough, too.
HELP! In a nutshell again, comfort vs. potentially everything else?
Thanks folks...I appreciate any input. And for those of you with your undies in a twist because I'm not yet an XT-250 owner, my apologies. ;-)
If i was in the market for a 250cc dual sport, id get the xt250 all over again, i checked out the crf250l, and the xt is much more comfortable, a whole lot lighter and is truly a great bike for what it is,

how tall are you?

my xt250 by a new crf250l, when i went to check them out

The thing i miss the most about the xt250, was comfort, low seat height, and light weight. i just always wanted more power.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #83
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I think the Honda is a much better bike for single track where you could ride it quite fast and let the superior suspension help with the riding. The XT will go anywhere the Honda will, but just not as fast. What I like about the XT is it's pretty much bulletproof. Drop it and you don't puncture the rads.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #84
DesertDav
Adventurer

thanks

150ron and klr, thanks for the input. I'm about 5'10". Inseam is around 29-30ish. Trust me, it's a freakin' comedy show watching me try to sit on an XR650L or a Husky! KTM? Fuggedaboutit!!! llol
Honestly I probably WILL get the crf250l. BUT seriously, I like em both. I wish I could buy both. And like I said if I do get the Yamaha, I would probably save a couple grand by buying the slightly used one.
And I mean is it just me, but the thought of paying another $1500 for dealer fees etc etc, on a $5,000 bike just turns my stomach. Just wish I could get the crf used.
Oh well...I MIGHT wait til next weekend. I wanted the wife to go with me when I buy the thing. She doesn't care if she goes but she's been very supportive of the purchase and has been there the whole time I've been looking.
Thank you once again and MAYBE I'll be back here letting you know I got the XT...you never know! :-)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #85
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Hi mate,

well I'm on my second XT250.

I went to have a look at the Honda, noting that I can get a families discount but with my inside leg of 27.5 inch, there was no way in hell I could get on it!

Serow's for me!

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #86
Dualsport Chic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
My little Billy Goat

After owning an '08 XT250 for 4.5 years, I have to say, I really can't say much bad about it. Being an inseam challenged rider (29"), the bike fits me perfectly. Sure it won't have a ton of power (but sufficient for 90% of what most riders would dream of putting it through), and yeah, it tops out pretty quick (not comfortable over 70 mph per gps as odo. is 4.5 mph over on the bike). However, I've ridden mine over 14K, taken it on 300 mile plus days, and it has not yet failed to do what I have asked of it and I can be hard on a bike - I spent my youth at the MX track racing two strokes, then my teen years riding Enduro.

There are several easy mods that can be done to the bike to make it truly off-road competent - tires, sprocket, suspension, etc. As for me - tires were a must, but outside of that and some farkling (bash plate, Barkbusters, HID headlight, GPS hookup, rear rack, luggage), it's a stock bike - and goes through single track, river crossings, & over jumps dutifully and nimbly.

So many folks are focused on MORE POWER and MORE SPEED when that's not what good dirt riding entails - it is about skill, balance, judgement and finesse. So anyone thinking about buying this little bike - DO IT - despite the naysayers remarks that it's a 'novice' bike etc. Trust me, this little bike is a diamond in the rough. And, I haven't had a peep out of it yet as far as breakdowns, mechanical failures.

Carpe Diem
Dualsport Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #87
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Well stated "chic"!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #88
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,561
The 2012 and older XT250 is a better bike for a lot of reasons, but the biggest ones are because it is air cooled and still has a carb. The CRF may work fine new, but wait till a few years when that FI fails and it costs you big $$$ to get it fixed. The XT is also a far more traditional bike, and does not have the "transformer" look to it like the CRF. I have put a zillion miles (well, close) on an XT225, and expect the 250 to hold up just as well. IMO, Honda hasn't made a decent dual sport bike since their '80s XL models.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #89
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The 2012 and older XT250 is a better bike for a lot of reasons, but the biggest ones are because it is air cooled and still has a carb. The CRF may work fine new, but wait till a few years when that FI fails and it costs you big $$$ to get it fixed. The XT is also a far more traditional bike, and does not have the "transformer" look to it like the CRF. I have put a zillion miles (well, close) on an XT225, and expect the 250 to hold up just as well. IMO, Honda hasn't made a decent dual sport bike since their '80s XL models.

It's the way of the world, JerryH .... it won't be long before the XR650L won't meet emissions and noise regs, and will be forced to go liquid cooling and EFI.

Some of my favorite offroad bikes have been the big, heavy, antique XR's....from the early 80's 500 to the 2000 XR600 that I turned into an XR628.

But in quite a few ways, the liquid cooled XR650R is a superior bike, and I've owned three of them because they're so good.

Styling is subjective - they didn't take a wild ass guess at what you call the 'transformer' look - that's what sells bike to the big market out there.

And you are admittedly not part of that market - you're much happier soldiering on with old iron like a Vulcan 750, a couple generations old Gold Wing.... manufacturers do not design bikes for people that buy used bikes.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #90
DesertDav
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
So that Honda quality is just a myth? Wow...good to know. As far as the "transformer" look, I've been researching what bike to buy for literally MONTHS, with the Honda leading the pack in appearance, in my opinion.
As far as the FI failing argument goes, I've seen that in a couple different threads here. I don't get it...where does this fear come from? I've owned many cars/trucks with FI and it's never failed. In fact, I don't know ANYONE who's told me "guess what Dave, Had my (insert vehicle name here) in the dealership for a broken FI.
You know something we all don't? Have YOU had an FI break?
Sometimes change sucks, JerryH. I am SO with you on that one. But whether we want it or not, it happens. Alot of the time I feel "they" create change just for change's sake. But with everyone on these threads calling for the Japanese to improve their bikes to keep up with the rest of the manufacturers, what are they supposed to do?
I'm all for some manufacturers keeping a basic,"old school" model for those who want to buy it. And, for the most part, for now, that's the XT. the DR, and the XR.
All you who love your XT250's, I appreciate your love of the bike and it's pluses. I ended up finding and buying my new red "transformers" looking G650GS last sat.
Led by JerryH, I'm sure you'll all now tell me what a crappy bike I bought.
Fire when ready!