User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
“Enjoy,” said Tio Beto, “not everyone gets to see this!”

Was that a toast or a threat? Whatever. We had the “enjoy” part down pat, sipping michiladas in Batopilas and listening to the music.
From Mexico 2009

We were a couple of days into the Motomutz annual Mexican adventure. Our travels took us from Minnesota to Batopilas via Chihuahua, Carichi and Creel. From there it was:
Batopilas to Cerocahui;
Cerocahui to Temoris to Chinipas;
Chinipas to Uruachi;
Uruachi to Creel; and
Back to Chihuahua via San Francisco de Borja.

Along the way there were mountains to climb, rivers to cross and good times to be had. Follow along as we share the adventure!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
darwinBlacky
ADVRider

Oddometer: 63
looks you have lovely time there ...
maybe you can post another picture ... ???
Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,356
Let's see your ride report!!! Sounds like a good time

Old 02-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Are we there yet?

Air? We don't need no stinkin' air!
From Mexico 2009

Belts? We don't need no stinkin' belts!
From Mexico 2009

Gas? We don't need no stinkin' gas!
From Mexico 2009

Getting there is half the fun, right? Our adventure began in Minnesota, Land of Snow and Ice, as we loaded up a trailer full of bikes and hitched it to John's motorhome. We were bound for Presidio, Texas where we would meet up with Al, Nick and Craig. The gas thing? John wanted to know the range on the motorhome, so we ran it dry and topped it from the 5 gallon can on the trailer. Also, in clarification for the record, it doesn't count as running out of gas if you get the rig to the gas station; we didn't run out of gas, the pump hose just wasn't long enough.

Along the way, the shock on John’s KLR puked its oil. Not good. John wasn’t thrilled by the notion of riding a 400 lb pogo stick through the Copper Canyon, so a call was placed to amigo Richard in KC, who agreed to pull the shock from his KLR for John to use. So we detoured to Richard’s place, where his lovely bride Sherry fed us brats and beans (killer beans!). Supplied and fed, we ran on down to the border where John and Charlie swapped shocks and the rest of us made final preparations for Mexico.

From Mexico 2009

From Mexico 2009
Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,994
I'm in. It's about time somebody got started on this. Craig has been telling little anecdotes, and complaining about how hard it is to navigate the Mexican outback with neither guns nor lawyers, two essential legs of the three-legged tripod. And I want to hear what Lili really said.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Hobs
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 3
Thumb

Great job Powershouse, keep it up!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
hvilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
This looks like it's gonna be fun!! I'm gonna come along, so keep it comin'!! Thanks.

hvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
More info

Kevin kind of glossed over the pleasures of loading bikes when the temps are -18°C. We all enjoyed that part of the trip.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Some introductions are in order!

You’ve already met Charlie (known on ADV as cwc) and his son John (Fugarwe) working on the KLR. Charlie is the route master having explored the area extensively on his DR350 and is always keen for a map. That’s John with the bird.
From Mexico 2009

From Mexico 2009

Rachel and Chuck were along on his (350) and hers (200) DRs; this was Rachel’s first moto trip to Mexico and she handled it well!

From Mexico 2009

Nick was the other rookie on this trip. This is his “She’s running good now!” face.
From Mexico 2009

Craig and Al are old hands at this, but it still leaves them smiling.
From Mexico 2009

Here’s Marty. Last year he did the trip on a scooter, this year he rode a Zong Shen 200 DS.
From Mexico 2009

That’s Arturo (Tury), a local legend in Chihuahua. He’s been motorbiking through these canyons since the 70’s. With his wealth of local knowledge, a ready smile and wonderful stories, he’s a delight to travel with.
From Mexico 2009

And here’s yours truly, Kevin aka Powershouse
From Mexico 2009

A motley crew indeed! Four KLR 650s, two DR 350s, a DR200, a KLX 300, a Zong Shen 200, and Lazarus the variable-vintage XT 500 with KTM suspension bits.

Powershouse screwed with this post 02-17-2009 at 06:00 PM
Powershouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
erichthered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
more more

96 R1100RT
erichthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #11
fugarwe
Usual Suspect

Oddometer: 92
Zen and the are of RV maint......never mind.

Thanks for getting this rolling Kevin. I certainly couldn't have done it better. A few words about the RV. I bought it this winter hoping it would be a family activity for my wife and I and our three girls, 10ys and younger. I put a total of 200 miles on it before leaving for this trip, so was hoping for good karma in the breakdown department. This 32 footer knows the way to Texas, having spent it's previous 8 years going there to be lived in all winter, and then driven back. It's a 91 with 50k on it. 5k purchase price put it in my range.

After purchase I took it in to have the exhaust manifold leak fixed, and found it was an intake manifold leak in the exhaust port. 850 bucks later and it's ready for Mexico (we thought).

At our first gas stop in southern Iowa Kevin noticed the rear dual was flat. I noticed my bike had puked oil all over the other bikes. Thank God for him noticing. The other dual wouldn't have put up with all that weight for long. We were at the New Virginia (I think) exit. Kevin helped me change to the spare which was pretty sad looking, so we headed into town to Bart's tire and auto.

They checked the flat and found it was from a rusty bead and a pounding on the road (the air ride was also found to be not working, making the RV a human maracha). They cleaned the bead and aired back up. I had them check another wheel that had the potential for the same problem, but it was clean as a whistle. We had them re-install the tire and put the spare back and were on the road again. Marty had called his brother Richard who has gone with us to Mexico in the past but couldn't swing it this year. Richard has two KLRs in his garage and is a very generous guy. He agreed to pull his rear shock and when we got to his house in KC he had it off and ready to go. Richard was a lifesaver on this trip. Richard had a heavier spring he wanted put on the shock, so we took that with. When we got back I paid Marty to put the heavy spring on it and check it over, and now it's on its way back to KC in the mail.

We only lost about 4 hours on the trip to tire and shock detours, so I feel lucky in that regard. Back to the RV problems. Later down the road we heard belt squealing and break. It was the AC belt, which was unnecessary for our purposes so it was unrapped from the water pump shaft and discarded. In the middle of the night in Oklahoma somewhere the lights dimmed and the volt meter dropped. We stopped at a toll both and checked all the connections and did some testing with the volt meter (thanks Dad) and it came back to life, and never happened again.

Currently I'm in Ft Myers Beach Florida with the RV. When we got back from mexico I had a 36 hour turnaround to clean the RV, load the family and head down here. There were no mechanical problems and I made the 1650 mile trip in 35 hours being the sole driver. Managed to do 1k in 24 hours on the way down, a feat I normally save for two wheels.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how much fun this RV is for the family. We are parked a block from the beach next to my mother's house and I couldn't be happier. From here next week we go to visit the Mouse, and then back home. Wish us luck.

Now back to the motorcycle content.......

PAY YOUR DEBT TO THE NICE LADY, PIRATE JOHN!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
fugarwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
fugarwe
Usual Suspect

Oddometer: 92
Zen and the are of RV maint......never mind.

Thanks for getting this rolling Kevin. I certainly couldn't have done it better. A few words about the RV. I bought it this winter hoping it would be a family activity for my wife and I and our three girls, 10ys and younger. I put a total of 200 miles on it before leaving for this trip, so was hoping for good karma in the breakdown department. This 32 footer knows the way to Texas, having spent it's previous 8 years going there to be lived in all winter, and then driven back. It's a 91 with 50k on it. 5k purchase price put it in my range.

After purchase I took it in to have the exhaust manifold leak fixed, and found it was an intake manifold leak in the exhaust port. 850 bucks later and it's ready for Mexico (we thought).

At our first gas stop in southern Iowa Kevin noticed the rear dual was flat. I noticed my bike had puked oil all over the other bikes. Thank God for him noticing. The other dual wouldn't have put up with all that weight for long. We were at the New Virginia (I think) exit. Kevin helped me change to the spare which was pretty sad looking, so we headed into town to Bart's tire and auto.

They checked the flat and found it was from a rusty bead and a pounding on the road (the air ride was also found to be not working, making the RV a human maracha). They cleaned the bead and aired back up. I had them check another wheel that had the potential for the same problem, but it was clean as a whistle. We had them re-install the tire and put the spare back and were on the road again. Marty had called his brother Richard who has gone with us to Mexico in the past but couldn't swing it this year. Richard has two KLRs in his garage and is a very generous guy. He agreed to pull his rear shock and when we got to his house in KC he had it off and ready to go. Richard was a lifesaver on this trip. Richard had a heavier spring he wanted put on the shock, so we took that with. When we got back I paid Marty to put the heavy spring on it and check it over, and now it's on its way back to KC in the mail.

We only lost about 4 hours on the trip to tire and shock detours, so I feel lucky in that regard. Back to the RV problems. Later down the road we heard belt squealing and break. It was the AC belt, which was unnecessary for our purposes so it was unrapped from the water pump shaft and discarded. In the middle of the night in Oklahoma somewhere the lights dimmed and the volt meter dropped. We stopped at a toll both and checked all the connections and did some testing with the volt meter (thanks Dad) and it came back to life, and never happened again.

Currently I'm in Ft Myers Beach Florida with the RV. When we got back from mexico I had a 36 hour turnaround to clean the RV, load the family and head down here. There were no mechanical problems and I made the 1650 mile trip in 35 hours being the sole driver. Managed to do 1k in 24 hours on the way down, a feat I normally save for two wheels.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how much fun this RV is for the family. We are parked a block from the beach next to my mother's house and I couldn't be happier. From here next week we go to visit the Mouse, and then back home. Wish us luck.

Now back to the motorcycle content.......

PAY YOUR DEBT TO THE NICE LADY, PIRATE JOHN!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
fugarwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Off to Mexico!

The border crossing was a piece of cake – for eight of us. The ninth guy was caught in the first shakedown I’ve seen at this border crossing. When he entered some information in the wrong box of the form, the lone agent told him he was out of luck and would have to come back tomorrow. After our guy had spent some time hanging in the lobby the agent offered that a new form could be purchased for $20.

Off to the cambio, where Nick made a family’s day posing for a picture, and several of us where chased away from the front of the tienda – clearly they spotted us for norte moto riff raff.
From Mexico 2009

While we were rolling through Aldama, on our way to Chihuahua, a rider on a BMW roared up and gave a “follow me” sign. Arturo! He helped herd the gang to the Hotel Maria Dolores, our base of operations in Chihuahua. This is always a fun stop, we’re away from the border, in a hustling bustling city where we are familiar with the neighborhood, and the energy level is high as folks anticipate heading to the canyons.
From Mexico 2009

Our usual dinner and Superbowl spot is at a nearby hotel, but the place had been commandeered by the federales and was bristling with masked, gun-toting guards. Plan B was a place called El Papalote which worked out great. Very good food, cold beer and a giant TV. We liked it enough to stop back later in the trip.

From Mexico 2009

Over dinner we finalized plans to deal with a problem. While loading Rachel’s bike we had discovered a broken spoke. Further investigation revealed that the previous owner had glued five broken spokes to the hub. Nice, huh? We’d made some attempts at finding spokes on the way down but struck out. This was something that had to be fixed before we left the paved roads, so a plan was hatched for Marty to accompany Rachel and Chuck to a motorcycle repair shop in the morning while the rest of the crew took a mixed pavement/dirt route to Creel via Carichi. Once the spokes were replaced Chuck and Rachel would catch up in Creel.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Creel – one syllable, no a.

Monday dawned bright and sunny and we were off to Creel, but not without a pronunciation lesson first. Creel is pronounced as a single syllable word, it is not pronounced cree-el or cree-al, but Creel. With a little practice you'll say it like a native.

Check out the game faces on this crew! They are raring to go! This is the last time you’ll see them clean, from here on out they will be dust covered and loving it.
From Mexico 2009

We took the Libre through Cuahtemoc then down to Carichi, before picking up dirt roads over to Creel. The first time through here I was surprised at the extent of the apple orchards, this part of Chihuahua, especially near Anahuac is a major apple producing region.
From Mexico 2009

We stopped for a snack and Marty made some girls happy with stickers. Then, when they saw we had cameras they got their puppy to show off.
From Mexico 2009

Meanwhile, back in Chihuahua….

The spoke fixing was not going well for Rachel and Chuck. The mechanic was late showing up and things just didn’t go smoothly. Marty and Arturo got their 15 minutes of fame when they were interviewed for local television. When it was clear that the work would get done, just not quickly, the plan was revised and they spent a second night in Chihuahua, and Arturo trailered their bikes and his to catch up with the gang in Creel the next morning.
From Mexico 2009

From Mexico 2009

From Mexico 2009

Next stop Batopilas!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,994
Fast by Moto! Those are my boys, who came up with a float bowl drain screw for my DR. Good shop.

I didn't get to go to Mexico, but I got a puppy:

That's him, second from the right.