User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2004, 10:21 PM   #1
twsiv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
flat repair

Ok I consider my self blessed so far 6k miles and I just got my first flat. I picked up a good size nail, small spike really. I have a couple tubes so I just need to change it tomorrow. I'm curious what I should do about the hole left in the tire, do I patch it from the inside? I guess it's relative to damage done by the nail but just wanted to get an idea before I get into it tomorrow.
thx
Old 06-20-2004, 05:53 AM   #2
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
You don't need to do anything to the hole in the tyre, so long as your inner tube is OK you're good to go. The hole in the tyre will close up over the miles.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:36 AM   #3
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 263
Same thing for the innertube... just fill 'er back up with air and ride it-- the hole left in it will close up, too.

Seriously though, I was just thinking the other day while putting the finishing touches on a 500 mile jaunt, and noticed the odometer said I'd gone 14,000 miles without a single flat, many thousands of those in Baja carrying ridiculous loads. Now it's probably just a lucky stretch, but I like to think it's more than just coincidental that I switched over to Monster Tubes front and rear. I got mine from Dual-Star. Yeah, they're heavy, but flats are no fun on the trail, either. I swear to God they're so heavy, if my tire got a huge blowout the tube would merely herniate, and I would need only to throw a handful of Zip Ties around the bulge to help contain it and to keep it from kicking up big rocks before continuing on my merry way!

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
Tracker

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaDave
Now it's probably just a lucky stretch,

Oh No! You may have just killed your lucky stretch! You know its Taboo to talk or think about your longest stretch of No Flats!
I'm on my 2nd KLR, 40k between the two on them and haven't had a flat, I can't believe it! I carry extra tube/tools/patch kit everywhere. Maybe Murphys law - "If you carry it, you won't use it?"

DAYAM It!! I think I may have killed my lucky stretch....

Old 06-22-2004, 12:23 AM   #5
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker
Oh No! You may have just killed your lucky stretch!
You know, right after I posted that, I just winced real hard as the realization of what I had just done began to sink in. If it helps, I did knock on wood...

Like yourself, I never leave home without a tube, irons and a pump-- and as you said, that's probably the real reason I haven't had a flat in so long.

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours

BajaDave screwed with this post 06-22-2004 at 12:28 AM
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:42 PM   #6
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Ok, I have to chime in. I am running the Moose HD tubes and over 11K with no flats (also including Baja off road). I have also hit the rim with no pinched flat. I too cary tube, patch kit and a pump and yes I am touching wood right now!
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote