Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #76
Murcielago
North of the Border

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Spec'ed capacity is 4.8 and I've gotten 4.6 into mine. If you drill out the filler neck, you can squeeze another 0.2 to 0.3 in but you need to gotten rid of the emissions canister.

- Mark
I didn't look at the spec. The low-fuel light usually comes on at ~135/140 miles, and given that I usually ride in the middle of nowhere, I'm not tempted to see how far I can really go. I suppose some day I should take some spare fuel, and then see how far I can really go on a tank.

My last bike was a Ninja 500, and between the larger tank and the better fuel mileage (and a reserve setting on the fuel valve) I could easily go 250 miles between fill-ups.

But would I trade back to the Ninja? No Way!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #77
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielago
I didn't look at the spec. The low-fuel light usually comes on at ~135/140 miles..
That's about right, although if you're hammering, you can get it to come in the 100-110 mile range. But generally, I figure I need to find fuel before 140 miles or so with an ultimate range of 175 or perhaps a little better.

There have been several commercial attempts to expand the tank, but most were applicable to the non-ABS models only (they used the extra space taken up by the ABS pump) and were both difficult to engineer and expensive.

The later twin-spark models get about 3 better mpg.

Great bike, but quirky and some can be maintenance/repair queens.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #78
Murcielago
North of the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn

The later twin-spark models get about 3 better mpg.

Great bike, but quirky and some can be maintenance/repair queens.

- Mark
Actually, mine is a twin-spark, and so far, I've been lucky in the maintenance dep't. Just rolled over 10K miles, so I'm hoping the reliability sticks.

Kim G
Old 12-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #79
wildbill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Just picked up this R1100s

There was something missing -- I needed a BMW twin in my garage, again. I've had my eyes open for a clean low mileage R1100s for some time. Then I saw it, a silver 2004 R1100s in like new condition with 9k miles. I knew this was the one. This is my third beemer and is by far the best so far. The bike is a 2004 R1100s with ABS, Remus exhaust, heated grips. It is in like new condition with 9k miles. The remus is a little louder than I would prefer, but tolerable. The bike runs great and is very smooth. The power and torque are superb. The bike has that timeless look. I had my last ST1100 for 18 years and will probably keep this one for awhile. My other ride is an '07 ST1300 which really compliments the beemer.

Here are some pics --

2012 Goldwing
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #80
Hoots Magoon
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill
Then I saw it, a silver 2004 R1100s in like new condition with 9k miles.
The DDP bikes are faster.

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #81
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
The remus is a little louder than I would prefer, but tolerable.

Nice bike Bill. I have the same exhaust on my 11s and feel the same way. I wear earplugs on long rides, but mostly like the exhaust note.

This is the web site with the most info on these bikes.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r...0s-tech-forum/

Enjoy your ride!
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #82
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
The bike is a 2004 R1100s with ABS, Remus exhaust, heated grips, and the worlds largest set of CHICKEN STRIPS.
Has that bike ever been around a corner? Those were leftover from the PO, not you, right?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #83
wildbill
Adventurer

tail light bulbs

The PO of my R1100s put the small clear signal lights on. Well one of the bulbs burnt out. Does anybody know the manufacturer, or a source for the bulb? Didn't see any Id on the product.

2012 Goldwing
Old 12-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #84
wildbill
Adventurer

chicken strips?

Hey, I used to grind the valve covers off by the end of the season. Now I get more enjoyment out of being smooth. I'd hate to trash such a fine machine. It's not worth it. Chicken strips are so unimportant.

2012 Goldwing
Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #85
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
The PO of my R1100s put the small clear signal lights on. Well one of the bulbs burnt out. Does anybody know the manufacturer, or a source for the bulb? Didn't see any Id on the product.

I'm pretty sure I saw those aftermarket ones at RAM Cycle on Gude Drive.

Bob
Damascus
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #86
wildbill
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
I'm pretty sure I saw those aftermarket ones at RAM Cycle on Gude Drive.

Bob
Damascus
I found the source. It was more than just a bulb. Anyway they're junk. I'm going back to quality oem stock which is also bigger for safety. I don't know why people put microscopic turn signals on, and replace quality oem with cheap junk. Just placed the order with Bobs BMW.

2012 Goldwing
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #87
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 63,439
Quote:
Actually, mine is a twin-spark, and so far, I've been lucky in the maintenance dep't. Just rolled over 10K miles, so I'm hoping the reliability sticks.

Kim G

Things to watch for, based on my ownership.

If you start to notice vibration through the pegs, check the rubber grommets that carry the catalytic converter. They get hot and eventually collapse, which lets the exhaust ride on that "frame" on the back of the motor.

They're very sensitive to tires. Tire pressure matters with them and they're very sensitive to tire wear. Proper ride height has a big difference on their handling characteristics and the "sport" torque arm helps.

If you ever feel like you're having to push the bike down into corners, you're either due for a new tire or you need more ride height in the rear. Pay attention to this if you tour. Even with a full load, this bike should be easy to steer.

Other that those two items, enjoy that thing. I loved mine.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #88
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa

If you start to notice vibration through the pegs, check the rubber grommets that carry the catalytic converter. They get hot and eventually collapse, which lets the exhaust ride on that "frame" on the back of the motor.

They're very sensitive to tires. Tire pressure matters with them and they're very sensitive to tire wear. Proper ride height has a big difference on their handling characteristics and the "sport" torque arm helps.

If you ever feel like you're having to push the bike down into corners, you're either due for a new tire or you need more ride height in the rear. Pay attention to this if you tour. Even with a full load, this bike should be easy to steer.

Other that those two items, enjoy that thing. I loved mine.
Astute comments. Never owned a bike that was so sensitive to tire wear and handle so poorly with a worn front tire - as said, the bike starts to understeer like crazy and you have to hold a lot of inside bar pressure to keep it in the turn. Even though the front doesn't wear as quickly as the back, I always replace both as the last 40% of tread on the front is not worth the poor handling.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #89
Murcielago
North of the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely keep an eye on those exhaust bushings. Any thoughts on when you think they might fail, i.e., a particular mileage? Since I'm in Boston and ride in New England, even in the summer things don't get all that hot.

As for handling, I've noticed the sensitivity to tire pressure. How would you raise the rear ride height?

I've also noticed that the bike is a whole lot more stable at high speeds (>75 MPH) if I crank up the pre-load on the suspension so it's quite firm. I'd note that I'm not that heavy at about 165#.

Also, as long as I'm tapping into the collective wisdom here, anyone have thoughts on this? The bike makes rather squeaky noises when it starts from cold and does this for about a minute or so. I thought it was a dried-out alternator belt and the dealer looked at it and replaced it, but it still makes the noise. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it's kind of embarrassing.

Cheers,

Kim G
Old 12-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #90
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
I'll definitely keep an eye on those exhaust bushings. Any thoughts on when you think they might fail, i.e., a particular mileage?

As for handling, I've noticed the sensitivity to tire pressure. How would you raise the rear ride height?
Kim G
My exhaust bushings have over 40,000 miles on them and still look good.

Rear ride height can be changed with a shorter (off a GS) final drive support strut.

The best thing you can do to improve handling is Ohlins shocks, front and rear.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote