Seat

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #92
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonex522
[IMG][/IMG]

OK, I debated about including this one. It's kind of embarrassing.
It's a homemade throttle friction, and although it looks absolutely stupid, it works perfectly and has been totally reliable.

I was in a strange mood the day I made it.
This is farkles, not MacGuyver moments. I think it's pretty cool. How does it work?

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #93
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,400
Thumb more

Hey Curtis ....
Great job !!

It's OK .... tell us more !!

Can you post some pictures of how you mounted the Dutz fasteners ?? Where did you buy them ??

Also post some pictures of the 1/4 inch phone jacks ??

Thanks .. Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas

The stop lights are actually modified 3” square LED receiver hitch brake lights from Harbor Freight. They only come on when I hit the brakes. It make a triangle with the tail light to get the cages attention. The top box has 4 Dutz fasteners through the bottom that are mounted under the stock KLR luggage rack. With the box off there are only 4 small ½ “holes in the rack. Oh, and the panniers are wired with ¼ inch phone jacks for easy removal of panniers.

I've got more, but this is enough for tonight.

Don't want to come across as an "ATTENTION Whore"
Old 05-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #94
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs
Hey Curtis ....
Great job !!

Can you post some pictures of how you mounted the Dutz fasteners ?? Where did you buy them ??

Thanks .. Larry
I'd be happy too Larry. I'm on my little ASUS laptop during lunch right now. When I get home tonight I'll post up the pictures of how it all is put together. The DUTZ faasteners can be bought from Spruce Aircraft Supply. They specialize in experimental aircraft parts.
I wired the 1/4 inch jacks with both brake and turn signals leads. One of these days I'll add the last two turn signal lights to the back of the panniers. I added in covers where the turn signal lights will mount and put the ADV and Texas Stickers on there for now.

This is the kind of stuff I think of at night when I should be sleeping.
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #95
Jonex
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB
This is farkles, not MacGuyver moments. I think it's pretty cool. How does it work?

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, if it wasn't homemade, it would be a farkle, and this is about homemade farkles, right?

The theory of operation is the same as a Vista Cruise - it squeezes the throttle tube to provide friction against it rotating.

The horizontal bolt on the bottom (in front of the spring) is adjustable with the nuts that secure it. Its head hooks on the little piece in front of it when I push on the blurry square part. The spring on the top holds the two halves of the thing apart and prevents rattling.

For the pivots, I used 316 stainless pop rivets, but I didn't let them fully pop. I just pulled them enough so the thing would still pivot, and then I sawed off the stems.
The bottom spring is hooked on a spark plug tip at one end and a little hole at the other.

Jonex screwed with this post 05-01-2009 at 04:37 PM
Jonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #96
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,637
Steampunk at it's finest! Worth of a cameo in "Brazil." I salute you

bomber60015 screwed with this post 05-01-2009 at 05:00 PM
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #97
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
[quote=Sonex522Well, if it wasn't homemade, it would be a farkle, and this is about homemade farkles, right? [/quote]

And a fine farkle it is.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #98
ThomasJ2895
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
homemade Aeroflow lip

Bought a used aeroflow off a friend of a friend and when I installed it, it turned out to be too short (I'm 6'3-4" and sit up high). Lots of bugs and buffeting . I constructed a home-made laminar lip out of polycarbonate (Lexan) for about $15.

Here are two pics of how it turned out. It makes it possible to ride freeway speed with my visor up with minimal buffeting and NO bugs! Turned out ok for a prototype. I have seen many others on the site that look fantastic.
Tom

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dad/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

http://i710.p
XT225
and too many broken cars...so says the wife
ThomasJ2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #99
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonex522
[IMG][/IMG]

Well, if it wasn't homemade, it would be a farkle, and this is about homemade farkles, right?

The theory of operation is the same as a Vista Cruise - it squeezes the throttle tube to provide friction against it rotating.

The horizontal bolt on the bottom (in front of the spring) is adjustable with the nuts that secure it. Its head hooks on the little piece in front of it when I push on the blurry square part. The spring on the top holds the two halves of the thing apart and prevents rattling.

For the pivots, I used 316 stainless pop rivets, but I didn't let them fully pop. I just pulled them enough so the thing would still pivot, and then I sawed off the stems.
The bottom spring is hooked on a spark plug tip at one end and a little hole at the other.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro

I like it. Thanks for jumping in the arena.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #100
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, I promised to show the back side of my panniers and how I used Aircraft parts to make my Panniers into a quick release system.

So here’s the rest of the story.

Hope it helps some of you who wish you could make yours easier to remove.

Here is how this system works. It’s so simple your gonna slap your head and go DOA!

Let’s start with the top box first.
Here I'm holding a screw driver in the hole to turn the 1/4 turn Dutz fasteners.
The mounting plate is riveted to the bottom of the top box using aircraft rivets, which are very tough aluminum and hard to break. I used a lot of these rivets so I didn't see a need to reinforce it inside. The side panniers are a dfferent story though.
It only take 4- 1/4 turns of a screw driver to remove the top box. The mounting plate is Aircraft Aluminum and will hold a LOT of weight. It has never come loose in any of my crashes

This picture shows the KLR luggage rack and the bottom plate of the top box.
You can almost see the 4 Dutz fasteners that stick out of the mounting plate. They are turned to make or release from the inside of the box.

Here is a side view of top box bottom mounting plate.
This plate is Aircraft Aluminum, so it will take a lot to break or pull the Dutz fasteners through. My Aircraft Buddy says that these fasteners are made to hold engine cowlings on airplanes going 600 mph, so they should never fail on my wimpy stuff.

Now, let's look at the quick release power Jack.
Here is the 1/4" stereo jack and you can see the wires on the outside of the box going to the light. The light are Harbor Freight LED reciever hitch lights with the square tube part cut off flush. It's a plastic housing so a hack saw makes quick work of this.

I used some small heat shrink tubing to make it blend in and give it some protection.

Here you can see the 1/4" stereo jack almost unplugged.
Since this is only hot when the brakes are on you don't have to worry about shorting anything out. The lights are LED so current draw is small.

And lastly, here is the Side Panniers Mounting System
Look close, you can see the two 3/8" 1/4 turn DUTZ fastener heads (The things with the wire loop on them.)
Lift the top flap and turn the two loop 1/4 turn and the box comes off in your hands.

"J" bracket at the bottom of the pannier
Here is the "J" bracket; that I made this in my shop with nothing more than a 20 ton press and an angle bender. Simple! At the top of the picture you can the two Dutz fasteners that hold it to the top of the bracket.

Here is the side rack (sorry it's a little rusty) but you can see here the two holes for the 3/8th Dutz fasteners to go through
These two holes for the Dutz fasteners and the "J" plate are all that hold the panniers onto the side rack.

Here you can see the back side of the bracket on the left pannier box. It shows the tip of the Dutz fastener catch.

See how simple that was? I got most of my parts from Spruce Aircraft Supply. They sell parts to experimantal aircraft builders and will sell to anyone. You can order a catalog from them for free and go nuts.
I used to buy a lot of stuff from them for my race cars. I had most of the stuff I used for this project just laying around. But, thet's where the parts came from.

Hope this help somebody. Remember this stuff may be expensive initially from the get go but it's made to hold airplanes together, so you should be good for your wimpy little motorcycle stuff.!!!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro
Old 05-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #101
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,767
Pannier racks for my Versys.

When I got it, I couldn't get a Happy Trail rack like the one on my KLR, and I wanted to mount the same boxes on the Versys that I used on the KLR, so I made my own.

These are the boxes:

Military surplus Merimite food boxes. I painted them black for the Versys.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:44 AM   #102
LazyBoy
stressless adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs
Hey Curtis ....
Great job !!

Thanks .. Larry

Google "Dzus fasteners"....not as cheap as bolts but much quicker to make and release!
IBA #7230
LazyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #103
philsil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hey Pilot,
it looks like your farkle is bolted to the swing arm.
have you got another picture?
philsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #104
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBoy
Google "Dzus fasteners"....not as cheap as bolts but much quicker to make and release!
Now that's embarrassing!

I kept typing it wrong and it just didn't look right. But, my spell checker didn't have Dzus in it. It has been so long since I bought any I forgot the correct spelling. To compund the situation the wife was on my ass the entire time I was typing up the long post above. "Why arn't you out mowing the yard? You said you were going to mow today and all you do is play on that damn computer." The things I go through for you guys!

Thanks for the correct spelling Larry. It will make it a lot easier for the guys to find now. I never have been a good speller. I'm a farkeler after all! The last race car I built was in 1984. So I've had those parts for a while!

I should have just grabbbed my Spruce Catalog and checked it instead of being lazy and trusting this old memory.
Here this will save you some time.
www.aircraftspruce.com

Look under Hardware/ fasteners. For some reason I can't link directly to the correct page.
I used the Camlock 4200's on the top box. These will require the recepticles and grommets. You'll notice they are rated for 300 lbs each. I used 4 so it's gonna take a lot to tear it off. I think the Kawasaki sub frame bolts with shear before these do.

And for the side boxes it has the Dzus Cowling Kit type fasteners.

Curtis in Texas screwed with this post 05-03-2009 at 06:45 AM
Old 05-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #105
small_e_900
Amanda carried it

Oddometer: 1,591
Don't think I've posted this here before. If I did, please forgive me as I'm too lazy to search.

Radio from a mid-80's Pontiac Sunbird mounted to the inner fairing of my Kaw Concours.

The amp is mounted below the control module. I didn't mount the cassette module.
small_e_900 is offline   Reply With Quote