User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
turboderek OP
DL650 TW200 RD400

Oddometer: 88
Fork seals and racetech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators for v-strom

About a month ago I noticed I had a leaking left fork seal after a ride thru Joshua Tree nation park. I wiped the fork and ran a piece of film around the seal and every thing looked good until this weekend. I decided to take the Lee Park total control class. About half-way thru another student my left fork seal was leaking again.

At this point it looks like they need replaced. I figured I'd give racetech a call and check the prices for their Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators to go along with my sonic springs and the correct parts to fix the fork seal leak. I was $135 for labor which seems fair but the parts seals, guides and dust covers are about double the price as the one from oneidasuzuki.com.

Here's where I'm at. It will cost me $345-$400 (oil,seal, bushing, bushing tool, Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators, and tools I maybe missing) for me to do it myself. It's about $682 +tax for racetech to rebuild the forks. It looks like I can do this over a weekend. Racetech estimated 3-5 day which is fair but that means I'd have to ride my triumph which would suck while I was waiting for the forks to be rebuilt/replaced. I found a great how-to installing the Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators and the factory service manual also does a good job of explaining the fork seals.

Has anyone here does this or know of a step by step with pictures how-to on the web?? Any hints, tips, scary experiences, or recommendations?
2004 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
turboderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
I haven't don't a set of 1k forks, but I've worked on may different sets of forks. They usually aren't to bad to deal with if you are patient and have decent tools.

I'd suggest you talk to racetech and find out what they are using for seals. I would venture a guess that they are using superior quality part than OEM, but that's pure speculation.

I'm about to send my 650 forks out for emulators and tuning. I was planning to do it myself until I talk to the vendor that will be doing the work. His prices are a little more inline with the OEM prices, but I know he's using higher quality parts.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
turboderek OP
DL650 TW200 RD400

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto
I haven't don't a set of 1k forks, but I've worked on may different sets of forks. They usually aren't to bad to deal with if you are patient and have decent tools.

I'd suggest you talk to racetech and find out what they are using for seals. I would venture a guess that they are using superior quality part than OEM, but that's pure speculation.

I'm about to send my 650 forks out for emulators and tuning. I was planning to do it myself until I talk to the vendor that will be doing the work. His prices are a little more inline with the OEM prices, but I know he's using higher quality parts.
I asked about the oil and seals. They want $30 per quart and about twice the price for the rebuild parts. When I asked I was told it was oem quality parts.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,763
Goin' for it . . . .

Getting Race Tech springs and emulators in the Wee this weekend. We'll see how it works . . . .

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Bajatacoma
Why me?

Oddometer: 56
I like mine! Had them installed around Thanksgiving.
Bajatacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
turboderek OP
DL650 TW200 RD400

I stopped by race tech this afternoon. I'm ordering the seals tonight.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
KShow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Long time no see Derek. Wish I would have read this one sooner. Ive redone my forks and seals a couple times. Pretty easy stuff and no special tools required. (seal driver, take old seals, cut out center and use them as a buffer to tap new seals down into forks) If you want some help, let me know. Havent done emulators (but read the link and looks real simple), but have modified my springs to be stiffer, changed fork seals on the Strom. and springs, and revalve on the XR (cartridge style fork) As far as time estimate, I would put it closer to 3 to 5 hours, not days. Like I said, Id be glad to help if you want. Talk to you later.

Ken

Harley Davidson (noun) -The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effect of horsepower.

KShow screwed with this post 03-10-2009 at 11:05 PM
KShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
turboderek OP
DL650 TW200 RD400

I took the forks apart last night. I need drill the extra hose in the damper rods.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
turboderek OP
DL650 TW200 RD400

All done. It is a pretty east job. much scarier talking about then doing.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
BillC
Banned

Oddometer: 1,579
Looking to do the same. Question though, looks as though you bought the oil seal install tool, any other special tools for this job (ie the bushings etc). Looks to be doable and I've been researching. Thanks.

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
turboderek OP
DL650 TW200 RD400

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC
Looking to do the same. Question though, looks as though you bought the oil seal install tool, any other special tools for this job (ie the bushings etc). Looks to be doable and I've been researching. Thanks.

I picked the oil seal tool because I had a coupon to race tech. You can use a long piece of PVC pipe and a hammer and it would work just as well.