ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #61
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20
The order that I want to put through, with today's exchange of $0.805:

$3000 CAD through Montreal
$2400 CAD through Seattle

Taxes have to be paid on both. I would rather save the ~$675 or use it for new camping gear.

Ridiculous. Enough said.
See, in your case, you can send it to a shipping forwarder in Sumas, WA [Abbotsford BC] http://www.packageexpress.com/ , drive down to the coast, be back by supper! Maybe 50$ gas. I'm sure there's got to be a similar company at Osoyoos border crossing.
As for sucking it up, giving up, and giving MI in Montreal the business, no bloody way. There are freight forwarders just like the one I use in Abbotsford all across these 2 country's border. They are there for only 1 reason, because there are businesses like MI that seem to think Canadians are some kind of lemmings that can't see the world in front of them, shop around. I work my friggin' beens off, why should I be forced to use these guys. If TT stopped me from buying their product from any other country, I'd never buy their product again.
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #62
Bora20
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Kamloops, BC, CAD
Oddometer: 849
I already use Package Express Steve. There are about 10 of us here in Kamloops that use it. One of us is down pretty much every week, I am every 2 so I load up the company car and take it all back.

There is no reason other than greed for the difference in price. Even if you add the 5% duty to the price, it still isn't even close.

An uninformed shopper gets less for their money.
__________________
Dan
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition - factory street legal
Pix - http://Bora20.smugmug.com/
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #63
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
I wonder if all motorcyclists or just Canadian motorcyclists are the most diligent in shopping for lowest cost via the internet
actually the bicycle crowd have been for years. You should have seen the bullshit I had to deal with as a rep trying to get dealers to stock product the the internet discount houses were landing for less than a Canadian dealer could wholesale for. Glad I'm out of that game.

Anyway, good to see the animosity for TT CAN hasn't abated one iota.
They're not getting any of my $$$$!!!!!!
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #64
pelvis_98
Havin A Time
 
pelvis_98's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford Station, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20
The order that I want to put through, with today's exchange of $0.805:

$3000 CAD through Montreal
$2400 CAD through Seattle

Taxes have to be paid on both. I would rather save the ~$675 or use it for new camping gear.

Ridiculous. Enough said.
When i suggest buying something from the states I often hear people say "yeah, well you have to pay taxes on it"

I didn't know we didn't have to pay taxes here when i purchase something here? Plus id rather pay the taxes on $2400 than $3000.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #65
touche
RidAventure maniac
 
touche's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 165
Wow.. this thread is going a long way

I live in Montreal, I speak french, and as I read this I think it is sad...

The message that comes out is that their attitude as much as their prices are the cause of it. Some of you would prefer to order at the other end of the planet not to order from MI.

Could it be a matter of intolereance and arrogance... from you ?

If you barelay or not speak french how can you have a serieous opinion on their real attitude ? some employees at MI are not only french canadians more real french immigrants, and they have a hell of an accent when they speak english.

But when I cal in BC for my job and have to deal with chineese people with a shitty accent its the same thing, same problem, same reality.

I don't argu for prices, I am glad to go there, have a quote, get my stuf fordered same day and receive it very quickly, because thy are there to make business, because Pierre and Jean-Michel are nice guys, because they want to succeed and stay in business.

I think a lot of this story is bad perception.

Want anybody more generous, more nice with customer, more in the BC was able to have the TT line ?

Parce qu'on est les meilleurs

Bonne journée les mecs
__________________
Touche
KTM 990 2003 for sale
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003420
touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:52 AM   #66
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 45,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
Wow.. this thread is going a long way

I live in Montreal, I speak french, and as I read this I think it is sad...

The message that comes out is that their attitude as much as their prices are the cause of it. Some of you would prefer to order at the other end of the planet not to order from MI.

Could it be a matter of intolereance and arrogance... from you ?

If you barelay or not speak french how can you have a serieous opinion on their real attitude ? some employees at MI are not only french canadians more real french immigrants, and they have a hell of an accent when they speak english.

But when I cal in BC for my job and have to deal with chineese people with a shitty accent its the same thing, same problem, same reality.

I don't argu for prices, I am glad to go there, have a quote, get my stuf fordered same day and receive it very quickly, because thy are there to make business, because Pierre and Jean-Michel are nice guys, because they want to succeed and stay in business.

I think a lot of this story is bad perception.

Want anybody more generous, more nice with customer, more in the BC was able to have the TT line ?

Parce qu'on est les meilleurs

Bonne journée les mecs
Part of it is language. If I speak french when I'm there, staff is much friendlier than if I speak english only. I think it has to do with their comfort level in working in another language. Plus, straight translation messes up friendliness, see that a lot.

The media does it all the time: "Quebec demande..." means "Quebec is asking for...", but the media, in their role as paper sales people, simply prints "Quebec demands!..." Big difference, ya know? There is an element of this, I agree.

That being said, I've dealt with Moto-Inter for over twenty years. The old shop on Sanguinet I think? East of Foufounes a few blocks, and south a couple IIRC.

I've always distrusted them, just caught them trying to bullshit me too many times. If you're an informed rider, that's not who they cater to.

Their current line up of just HD and BMW is smart on their part. Lots of money, and quite frankly, their average customer is buying the image, not the details.

If you want what only they can provide, then you'll have to decide how much you want it. And put up with the difficulties or do without.
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:56 AM   #67
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,719
Yes, the old shop was on Saguinet St. I liked the rougher ambience there but also got scammed by them and don;'t forget easily. It's not an anti French thing.

And Touche, when you say "I don't argu for prices, I am glad to go there, have a quote, get my stuf fordered same day and receive it very quickly, because thy are there to make business, because Pierre and Jean-Michel are nice guys, because they want to succeed and stay in business."

That is the kind of customer they like. Don't question the price, just smile and hand over the money. Not all of us want to do that.


That's a lot of coin for the same gear. Why the big differences up here, I've never been able to figure it out, besides factoring in greed. If they are reasonably close cost wise it might be different to support a Canadian company but for almost $600 go US
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 03-21-2009 at 06:07 AM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #68
smeagol OP
Beemer Virgin
 
smeagol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Oddometer: 100
I've lived and worked in just about every province in this country and in a few others, with just about every language and nationality you can think of that has ever immigrated to Canada, and a simple language barrier has never come across as rudeness. I'm just about the most tolerant guy you'll meet, and I can tell the difference between a very limited ability to speak english and a not-so-multi-lingual asshole. I've nothing against Quebecers (my best friend is from there) or anyone else, except wankers, and MI seems to fit the bill.

some things transcend the barriers of language, such as love... and being a dick.

cheesy, yes, I know! Sure me
__________________
Smeags


brum-brum!! I has a motorbikes!
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #69
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus
 
Bill 310's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Hopefully Upright
Oddometer: 2,949
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
Wow.. this thread is going a long way
I live in Montreal, I speak french, and as I read this I think it is sad...
The message that comes out is that their attitude as much as their prices are the cause of it.
My family is from the Ottawa valley, I went to a bilingual university, I have lost most of my French over the last 30 years. My wife has a gift for languages and picks them up quickly she speaks fluent French, basic Spanish and has a walk around knowledge of Swahili. I travel internationally often. I have no attitude about French. Now that the language issues are out of the way, let's get to the crux of the issue.

Many of us, especially those with easy access to the US and international markets, are unwilling to pay more than the available market price for goods and services. This makes it awkward for those of us who are "Canadians first" to not patronize Canadian businesses, however if you are bright enough to be able to shop internationally and the internet makes that possible for even the dullest of us today, then companies such as TT Canada come across as either poor business people or underestimating the intellect of their market.

If i was opening a Canadian business today that was selling an international product such as TT, I would want to be able to buy and sell at the same price as the US distributor (currency adjusted) or it would be no deal. Why, because I would need to sell at a price equal to the US price converted plus a bump of no more than 10% - because that is what I view as the tipping point for purchasers who can buy easily from outside of Canada -not just Quebec.

Now that price is out of the way let's deal with attitude. I don't buy product from places where the customer service is not 100%. It is not hard to deal with people who want to help you, and appreciate your business if they are pleasant no matter how poor their language skills are. The average consumer wants to deal with people who treat them well. TT Canada does not have that skill set mastered, TT USA is much better at that, not perfect but far better.

You are also forgetting convenience, TT USA is on the same time zone as BC. Just like riding East to West is easier because you are riding with the sun (longer days) dealing west to east is more of a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
Some of you would prefer to order at the other end of the planet not to order from MI.
Yes, but that has nothing to do with them being French or from Quebec, you can't wave that red herring in the free market.

I don't deal with MI because they charge significantly more, never have inventory, and are less than pleasant to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
Could it be a matter of intolereance and arrogance... from you ?
No, I have benign resignation about Quebec, I have found it easier to travel in Quebec impersonating an American than being perceived as an Anglophone Canadian from the West. In general by pretending to be an American tourist I get better treatment and service - it is actually quite funny. That only happens in Quebec City and the PQ areas surrounding Montreal by the way, in rural Quebec generally the treatment of Maudit Anglaise is just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
If you barelay or not speak french how can you have a serieous opinion on their real attitude ? some employees at MI are not only french canadians more real french immigrants, and they have a hell of an accent when they speak english.
As I said earlier in my post a good attitude overcomes most things, nice people are nice people and that always comes across in business. I find it insulting that you are trying to imply that because the staff are not only French Canadians but "real french immigrants" the rest of Canada is not only not cutting them a break but rather discriminating against them. This is nonsense. Jean Chrétien had a worse accent than any of the staff I have spoken to at MI and he was Prime Minister.


Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
But when I cal in BC for my job and have to deal with chineese people with a shitty accent its the same thing, same problem, same reality.
Actually no it's not the same, the Chinese person has no protected language rights. What does this mean to them? Well within one generation their whole family will be speaking fluent English with no accent, have maintained their Mandarin or Cantonese dialect and likely have their next generation of children in french immersion.

Of course if that Chinese person has a bad attitude they will be just a difficult to deal with as an Anglophone or Francophone with a shitty attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
I don't argu for prices, I am glad to go there, have a quote, get my stuf fordered same day and receive it very quickly, because thy are there to make business, because Pierre and Jean-Michel are nice guys, because they want to succeed and stay in business.
This seems to be the fundamental difference. You are willing to pay consistently significantly more for the same product, wait longer for it and deal locally in a language you prefer.

Others on here want to pay less, get the product immediately and in third place would be dealing with people who's first language is English (or they have mastered it )and who are pleasant on the phone. On that note, SW Mototires got rid of their phone for a couple of reasons but in my view if the average customer had to deal with Blair on the phone that business would have not done nearly as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
I think a lot of this story is bad perception.
No it is higher prices, no inventory, and difficulty dealing with MI on a few levels if you read the posts. It is fun thought to claim indirectly that the Anglos don't want to deal with MI because they are french, If MI sold TT stuff for KLR's for 1% less than TT anywhere else in the world sold it for, ( and had free shipping) , TT would be selling all of it's KLR stuff out of Quebec world wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
Want anybody more generous, more nice with customer, more in the BC was able to have the TT line ?

Parce qu'on est les meilleurs

Bonne journée les mecs
This is not abut people upset about MI being in Quebec.When Anderwerks (Calgary) had TT, people complained it was too expensive, they never had inventory and dealing with them was difficult. Nothing has changed with MI. The real issue is why have a TT Canada when a TT NA makes more sense? There is no duty on motorcycle parts and shipping by US Postal Service is flawlessly easy. Having a mailbox or mail service makes it even better

I wouldn't necessarily say that MI obtained TT because it was the best over say a BC company, or any other bidder (if there were any). I would suggest that they struck a deal to obtain TT and one of the conditions that they got from TT was to have an exclusive and restrictive sales territory agreement Canada was their exclusive market and their market only. Why else would TT USA be forbidden to deal with us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
Parce qu'on est les meilleurs

Bonne journée les mecs
Translated the last two sentences mean.
Because we are the best, good luck guys.

If one ties it to the previous section about why no one in BC has the TT line, could be interpreted as :

MI or Quebec is better than BC and therefore they got TT and the good luck can be taken as either a comment on our lives to come or a sarcastic putdown of the rest of Canada with BC named in particular. In other words FU all we are better.

On the other hand it could be read as a closing to the post unrelated to the previous paragraph and in these two sentences after bashing the Chinese and inferring that the rest of us are intolerant and anti French and anti Quebec, the author changes his tone and tune, after this long whine to wish us all well, because as Adventure Riders we are the best.

You pick

So after thinking this all over here is what I plan to do. Avoid dealing with MI until they have price parity with the US after exchange, continue to deal with businesses who treat me well, which means MI needs to also adjust attitudes along with prices before I will patronize them.
__________________
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.

Bill 310 screwed with this post 03-21-2009 at 09:26 AM
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #70
Bora20
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Kamloops, BC, CAD
Oddometer: 849
The language barrier doesn't mean shit to me, I order everything online and never speak to anyone.

I don't care ow you speak or what color you skin is, BC is a huge melting pot after all.

The prices say more to me than anything. Give me a good price and I will be your customer. If the difference was 5~10%, I would buy in Canada.
__________________
Dan
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition - factory street legal
Pix - http://Bora20.smugmug.com/
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #71
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus
 
Bill 310's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Hopefully Upright
Oddometer: 2,949
I am so proud of you my son


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20
The language barrier doesn't mean shit to me, I order everything online and never speak to anyone.

I don't care ow you speak or what color you skin is, BC is a huge melting pot after all.

The prices say more to me than anything. Give me a good price and I will be your customer. If the difference was 5~10%, I would buy in Canada.
__________________
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #72
smeagol OP
Beemer Virgin
 
smeagol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Oddometer: 100
It also strikes me as sad that such a "large" Canadian dealer is ripping us off, and it's not helping the sport out in the least.

Seems to me that if they were truly trying to support and nurture the sport and community in Canada (why the fak wouldn't they? It's their goddamn business!) they should be going out of their way, bending over backwards and all that other crap to make damn well sure they were top kit in town to keep it local and get the business booming on this side of the border.

I envy our friends to the south. At least for them, if they don't like a place like that, they have more selection, and I'm sure not too many like MI would survive in the states too long. Sadly for us, we have to look outside our borders (not that it's bad to support our neighbours) because there are not really many alternatives when push comes to shove. And I'd like to think that the ONLY reason a place like MI is still in business is because of people that want to keep their money in Canada, and no other reason.

Kudos to them, but it's been said before, this also encourages MI to keep on being dicks.

I know I'm one of those suckers, but the alternatives that I researched were too pricey to justify :(
__________________
Smeags


brum-brum!! I has a motorbikes!
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #73
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 45,327
Now that we're all up to speed, have you seen the new prices from Parts Canada/Motovan/Kimpex?

Average of a 20% increase across the board, according to my local dealer. They're claiming the exchange rate tanking is why.

And when we were at par did they adjust their prices? Of course not, they kept raking it in.

The ones this really hurts is your dealer. As a customer, why should I pay so much more for the same part when I can cross-border it? So my local shop loses the biz, and as more and more people do so, we'll lose more local shops.

Profiteering run amok. You can't expect your customers to pay damn near double for their stuff. Tire prices are 2 for 1, and with their new rates, the rest of the consumables and gear is reaching the same level.

Not looking like a good time to be in the bike biz. And it has nothing to do with the recession.
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #74
touche
RidAventure maniac
 
touche's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 165
OK guys... language barrier here again.. I take this one on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
The message that comes out is that their attitude as much as their prices are the cause of it.
Here I admit that their is a price issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
I think a lot of this story is bad perception.
beside prices, that is a fact, the rest might be perception, because I think most of them are generally nice guys and don't be fouled, they have a lot of englophones in Montreal that are customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touche
Want anybody more generous, more nice with customer, more in the BC was able to have the TT line ?

Parce qu'on est les meilleurs

Bonne journée les mecs
That was no way sarcastic but I expected on a forum where the salute is a finger that people could catch the will to end this intervention with such a joke.

"Parce qu'on est les meilleurs" effectively means because we are the bests

but you were wrong on the other one "Bonne journée les mecs" means have a nice day guys...

As the precedent post said, now that we are up to speed now... I wish you all to find the best possible way to farkle your ride, too late for my KTM 690e, I'm done and all is ready to be installed next week.

Cheers guys
__________________
Touche
KTM 990 2003 for sale
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003420
touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #75
touche
RidAventure maniac
 
touche's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Now that we're all up to speed, have you seen the new prices from Parts Canada/Motovan/Kimpex?

Average of a 20% increase across the board, according to my local dealer. They're claiming the exchange rate tanking is why.

And when we were at par did they adjust their prices? Of course not, they kept raking it in.
More realistic observation here I think, its a canadian reality that we usually have nothing and it is more expensive...
__________________
Touche
KTM 990 2003 for sale
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003420
touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014