ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Glowbug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Looking at an airhead in DC...can anyone help with a PPI?

Thinking about a '71 R60/5...I know the current owner hasn't owned it more than 6 months or so, said he did some work to it and had receipts, but who knows. I'm just looking for someone who could give me an idea whether or not to go ahead or run away from this one. The title is still signed to the previous owner, which also worries me a bit...should it? Strikes me as odd he'd never bother to get it in his name if he had plans to keep the bike.

I'll be in town next weekend, let me know if you can help. Thanks!

Glowbug screwed with this post 03-14-2009 at 09:58 AM
Glowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Similar

I was in a similar situation when I found an XR650L I wanted. Bike was in great shape with only 1500 miles. Price was good and it belonged to a guy who got it on partial trade for another bike. He had no plans to keep it and it was just part of a deal. IE, he wanted to sell a busa and figured it would be easier to sell a mint XR650 for much less money than a high mileage busa. He took the xr650 on partial trade and never titled it. When I bought the XR650l, I had to have my title paperwork signed and notarized by the original owner who happened to live 60 miles south. Finding him was "interesting" and he was a drug runner. He wanted me to back date the sale and the DMV was after him for not having up to date paperwork for the bike. He was about to be fined on a per diem basis and the DMV knew he was illegal on his registration, insurance, etc. He wanted me to take a potential fall and backdate the sale by 6 months which was how long his paperwork was behind. I didn't want the DMV after me and declined. He hassled me, but finally after going to 4 closed notaries, we found a FUNERAL parlor with a notary who signed and I was out of there in a flash. Though this is extreme, consider your paperwork and who you will need to sign all this and consider lapses in registration paperwork, insurance, etc. In the end, I got my XR, but it was a headache. On the plus side I got into a very bad neighborhood south of DC and got to listen to several drug deals in the car.
OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Glowbug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Yeah, that's what I'd like to avoid if possible

I had first seen this one on the Richmond CL last August, then over the winter I saw the same bike pop up in Arlington for double what the previous ad was asking Passed on it then, but it seems the seller is now coming back to sane prices, although the title is still in the Richmond guy's name apparently.

I might just go there and tell him I'd buy it, but only if he gets a title in his name. Make him go through it. Annoys me that people can't do this before selling
Glowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,267
Check the law - I sold an XRL in Va. to a fellow inmate who's a police officer a couple of years ago. I signed the title and told him he could fill it out (his name, address, etc.) later. He said absolutely not, it's a felony in Va to possess a signed title that isn't completely filled out with the new owner's info, sale price, etc. DMV calls it "skipping title" because it's skipping the sales tax, title fee and they take a very dim view of it.

I bought a 640ADV a few years ago from another inmate here. He was in Fla, bought the bike in Mass and never titled it. DMV wouldn't touch the title, had to get him to title the bike in Fla and send me the new title. Fortunately, he was willing to help but it still took several weeks. Also, Fla required an inspection of the bike's VIN which was now in Va. I had to have a police officer come to my house, verify the VIN on a Fla form, etc. so the guy could get the title in Fla. Lots of FedEx $$ in between.

Tell the guy to title it. I've learned to ask sellers " do you have a valid title in your hand and in your name?" before I even consider a bike any more.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,341
[quote=OldnoGPS]Check the law - I sold an XRL in Va. to a fellow inmate who's a police officer a couple of years ago. I signed the title and told him he could fill it out (his name, address, etc.) later. He said absolutely not, it's a felony in Va to possess a signed title that isn't completely filled out with the new owner's info, sale price, etc. DMV calls it "skipping title" because it's skipping the sales tax, title fee and they take a very dim view of it.

I bought a 640ADV a few years ago from another inmate here. He was in Fla, bought the bike in Mass and never titled it. DMV wouldn't touch the title, had to get him to title the bike in Fla and send me the new title. Fortunately, he was willing to help but it still took several weeks. Also, Fla required an inspection of the bike's VIN which was now in Va. I had to have a police officer come to my house, verify the VIN on a Fla form, etc. so the guy could get the title in Fla. Lots of FedEx $$ in between.

Tell the guy to title it. I've learned to ask sellers " do you have a valid title in your hand and in your name?" before I even consider a bike any more.[/quote]

Add me to the list. I JUST went through this, but fortunately learned on an earlier "good deal." This time I gave the guy a $100 deposit to hold the bike till he got a clean title. He wanted half and not only did I refuse, I gave him a time limit. On the receipt for the $100 it said he'd refund my $ after a month. Worked like a charm.