User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
LarryGS OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Question Auxilliary Lights 90 GS/PD ?

Hi, I finally took the plunge and ordered the Omega charging system from Motorad Elektrik. Now, I'd like some suggestions/photos for mounting auxilliary lights on my 1990 GS/PD. I checked out the Piaa 510s, and they look nice, but mounting seems limited. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Larry
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
check out this thread ...

check out this thread ... if you have any engine bars ...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=46631455461

go to post #12, #14 & #15 ... has BMW parts numbers with pictures

Leftee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGS
Hi, I finally took the plunge and ordered the Omega charging system from Motorad Elektrik. Now, I'd like some suggestions/photos for mounting auxilliary lights on my 1990 GS/PD. I checked out the Piaa 510s, and they look nice, but mounting seems limited. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Larry
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
I bought a pair of PIAA 1200's for the low-wattage and on-all-the-time beams before I put an Omega in my '92 PD; didn't think about mounting issues until I had them in my hands - they were obviously meant to be screwed to the bumper of a car. After some fussing I came up with this arrangement, made from plastic stock. If you want some and aren't feeling creative, ask Brad Vardy to make you a pair, he saw mine in VT a couple weeks ago and took notes...
Attached Images

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Gringo
simple by nature

Attached Images

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Old 06-10-2004, 12:24 PM   #5
Gringo
simple by nature

With all the excess juice from the Omega, the 35W PIAA 1200's now seem to throw alot more light and have even gotten me flashed a couple times, which never happened with the stock alternator - I suspect if I tilt them down a degree or two it'll solve the problem. I thought I'd want to upgrade to some big rally-style lights now that the bike's electrics can handle them, and put these little guys on my wife's F650, but I'm afraid if I go bigger I'll have to turn 'em off when I need 'em most - in routine messy semi-rural suburban traffic. These also tuck in nicely inside the crash zone, and are very unlikely to be damaged in a lay-down or snag a branch. The mid-width conical beam, advertised as something you can leave on full-time, was what really sold me on this model - the airhead GS's stock low beam truly sucks. I wired 'em into the battery on an autoswitch, not into one of the beam circuits, and switch them independently. Having lived with these for 2 years now, I have to agree with advertised claims - enough light to give you what you need all the time, but inoffensive to other drivers. Very nice compromise light.

Old 06-10-2004, 01:28 PM   #6
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
...Or you could go with a set of these~
Attached Images

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:20 PM   #7
twowheels
Leaving Children behind

Oddometer: 200
recommend

I highly recommend PIAA 540's. They are not huge, like the 520's, project a great deal of light, and are just what you want for that new Omega system. I have the driving lights, which project a narrow beam, slightly blue in color. When I turn them off at night I wonder how I ever drove without them. If you wanted high conspicuity, get one FOG (yellowish), and one narrow beam (blue). Total GS ugly utility.

my 2 cents

AW
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:47 PM   #8
LarryGS OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. Anyone out there with a vintage 1990 GS/PD with mid to bigger sized PIAAS that can send a pic with mounting sugggestions. I've got some looking around, at lights, to do. Larry
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:04 AM   #9
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
Gringo's setup is sweet, he did an awesome job on the mounts. Very clever.

Larry, you might also want to look at the new PIAA 510 "Powersports Series". They're a 4" lamp that come with the black grill guards like the 520 and 540, and would match the bike very nicely. They are also available in either 35 or 55 watts, so you could go easy on the new alternator if you chose.

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:31 PM   #10
moosehead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
PIAA also have come out with a u-bolt clamp for mounting the 510 or 520 or any PIAA light that has 10mm bolt (which 99% of themn have)
They are under their"powersports section" if you go to the PIAA website. The mounts are intended for ATV's but they work well on the 'roo bars.
I just mounted a pair of 35 watt 510's with these u-bolts adapters and the set works great! Plenty of light from these and I didn't have to upgrade to the 400 watt- stayed with 280 watt. Previously I ran a set of 55 watt (halogen) lights that I've used for the last few years and they OK but as you know you have to be prudent with there us as there's not much left for charging the battery. I really only used them as night or early morning to see the critters out there!
With the new PIAA I can run pretty well with themn on all the time except in stop 'n go traffic or slow roads. Just turn them off!
To me it was a saw off between upgrading to the 400 watt + new lights or just add the new 35 watt 510's and be done with it.
BTW, can still plug in my vest and run all day with them on - its close but there still enough to keep a good battery up.
I installed a LED voltmeter just so I can keep an eye on how things are going,
I'll try a post a few pix of the U-bolt 'roo bar clamps and light set up I have on my 91R100GS
Good luck with the hunt!
moosehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:46 PM   #11
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,243
I'm running a pair of 35W driving lights from a company called Chris Products. Bought them at A&S years ago, but they no longer sell them. Regardless, they provide decent side lighting and can be run even in traffic. They don't illuminate 2 miles down the road, but they're also not intended to. I mounted mine in the same location that Gringo has his. I used some simple clamps that were originally used to mount a set of Hellas.

If you want bigger lights, especially with an Omega system, and you're having problems finding a mounting location, try this. On the highest part of the 'roo bar just in front of the windscreen. MotorMike has a set of Hellas (my old ones) mounted like that. No good for running in traffic, but it will throw some light down the road/trail.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #12
Gringo
simple by nature

The guy who runs the local Orvis shop used to have a black and green '92 PD identical to mine, and he had a pair of big Hellas mounted on some metal plates a friend of his had done up; they were essentially two mirror-image triangles of sheet aluminum or steel drilled on the inboard side to fit mount holes on the roo-bar where the headlight cage screws on; the downward-facing, outboard edge of each triangle had a pleasing curved relief cut into it, and the metal was then bent forward on top, even with the top edge of the headlight at a right angle to form a flat surface an inch or so wide; the lights just bolted right down through a hole or holes in that flat, and the wires ran up under the headlight cowling and disappeared. He painted the plates matte black and it looked like it came with the bike - really matched the overall effect of the PD. It put the lights above and slightly outboard of the headlight, which I believe it is illegal here, (he never got stopped for it) and will probably get you flashed if you use 'em in traffic; but it looked real bad-ass, in a desert rallye sort of way. I wanted to do something like that for the cool look, but it didn't solve my problem of needing more light in traffic; also kept all the lights very close together, and I'm a big proponent of spreading them out to help other drivers' depth perception when it relates to them judging how fast I'm moving.

Hey, anybody know if I can just swap the 35W bulbs in my PIAA 1200's for a 55W now that I can power it? It'd be the easiest thing to do if I want to upgrade...

Old 07-05-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 44,513
My bike came with the PIAAs mounted to the crash bar, on what look like home made mounts. Seems to work just fine:

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana

summerinmaine screwed with this post 07-05-2004 at 06:20 PM
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 06:24 PM   #14
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 44,513
One more try:

Dammit, can't seem to get the farkin smugmug photo to upload properly.
Attached Images

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:56 AM   #15
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
PIAA 510's on 91R100GS ??

Hey ... moosehead ...
If you have any pictures of your PIAA 510's on your 91R100GS .... Please post them so we can see how they look - Thanks ... Leftee

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead
PIAA also have come out with a u-bolt clamp for mounting the 510 or 520 or any PIAA light that has 10mm bolt (which 99% of themn have)
They are under their"powersports section" if you go to the PIAA website. The mounts are intended for ATV's but they work well on the 'roo bars.
I just mounted a pair of 35 watt 510's with these u-bolts adapters and the set works great! Plenty of light from these and I didn't have to upgrade to the 400 watt- stayed with 280 watt. Previously I ran a set of 55 watt (halogen) lights that I've used for the last few years and they OK but as you know you have to be prudent with there us as there's not much left for charging the battery. I really only used them as night or early morning to see the critters out there!
With the new PIAA I can run pretty well with themn on all the time except in stop 'n go traffic or slow roads. Just turn them off!
To me it was a saw off between upgrading to the 400 watt + new lights or just add the new 35 watt 510's and be done with it.
BTW, can still plug in my vest and run all day with them on - its close but there still enough to keep a good battery up.
I installed a LED voltmeter just so I can keep an eye on how things are going,
I'll try a post a few pix of the U-bolt 'roo bar clamps and light set up I have on my 91R100GS
Good luck with the hunt!