User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #46
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
Just about there

Another weekend of fair going in the shed. Got most things done and dusted now and almost ready for the Yilgarn Rallye next weekend.

First up I fitted the new stator and regulator. I didn't take photo's because I got on a roll and just didn't turn away from it once I got stuck in. I had a few visitors that morning and took my time chatting instead of getting into it, so when I finally did get stuck in I didn't stop for anything. The instructions are pretty good, complete with colour photo's, so if you're thinking of doing the same upgrade to convert your 450/530 EXC-R to higher output stator and DC system for your lights, I can recommend the Trail Tech kit.

I also fitted the new HID headlights. I haven't taken photo's of the process but did get some of the finished result as far as the relays and ballast mounting goes. The kit I used is from www.xenonrider.com and is great. Easy to instal and I opted for the "slimline ballasts" this time and they are great. Much better than the full size ones and easier to find a place to mount them on a motorcycle. I did have to relocate three relays I had previously already mounted but they easily relocated without having to redo any wiring. I drilled and tapped new spots for them so they aren't bolt and nutted like they were.
This is the general arrangement of the relays and ballasts:
[IMG][/IMG]

... and a close-up:
[IMG][/IMG]

... and with the fairings in place this is how it looks:
[IMG][/IMG]

So this is the bike mid afternoon Sunday. I wanted to get some photo's before finally taking it for a ride.
[IMG][/IMG]

... and a gratuitous photo for my sponsors .
[IMG][/IMG]
MO Consultants is my company (MO = Modus Operandi, three Directors of which I am one), Xenon Rider is the awesome dude illuminating my ride (g'day Joseph ). I'll point out my other sponsors when I get some photo's with their stickers on but "Tyres for Bikes" in Victoria Park are supplying my Michelin Desert Tyres and Michelin Rallye Mousses (g'day Pete ) and of course Causeway KTM & Ducati put me on a nice new 530 EXC (g'day David and the team down there). The lovely orange (is there any other colour?) was sprayed on by the guys at Ashfield Smash in Bayswater (g'day Kevin) and then they layered 7 coats of clear over the top to provide some good protection. Awesome stuff!! Thanks to everyone for helping me out!

After my ride this afternoon (I got about 70km's in) I did fit the cush drive rear wheel that has a M02 Rallye Mousse fitted and a slightly used Michelin Desert tyre. It's the best of the tyres left over from the Safari last year and has enough life for the Yilgarn Rallye, especially now the Yilgarn has been reduced to one day due to some land access issues that have cropped up.

I also fitted a Michelin Desert front tyre with a Michelin M15 enduro Mousse. The tyre is another leftover from the Safari but is like new.

That's it for now. During the week I'll have to run the bike a bit to bed in the rear hub and disk/pads and do it's first oil and filter change. I haven't put as many km's on it as I'd like before competing but the Yilgharn can finish the running-in process. I also have to regrease the rear Mousse, as it's been in there quite a while, before the weekend.

Catch ya all later. If I don't update with any photo' during the week I'll try and post a couple from the Yilgarn Rallye.
Ciao
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88

JayBo1 screwed with this post 04-19-2009 at 06:46 AM
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #47
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Hey John,

That bike turned out awesome! Should save you a good 25kgs or so over the old 640. Are you concerned about the reduced oil capacity at all? I read that some of the KTM factory riders such as Knighter joined transmission and oil reservoir like the RFS bike had. Or maybe a HT oil cooler?

And what did you end up with for a riser/submount? I thought you were going to use the Protect one but I see you now have PHDS clamps.

You really should post threads like this in Thumpers, there are a ton of guys interested in them who will miss this because they don't check the Kiwi forum.

Cheers,
Lukas
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #48
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,563
Hi John - nice result after all the hard work. Enjoy the rallye and let us know how the bike holds up - me suspects it will be very different to the exon valdez of the past.
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #49
Squiggles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
A query (im curious), is there a reason for going with connectors for individual wires over buying multiple wire connectors for each relay? ( i need a thesaurus and a dictionary) Or is it more of a case of what was at your fingertips...
Squiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #50
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

"There's life Jim"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Hey John,

That bike turned out awesome! Should save you a good 25kgs or so over the old 640. Are you concerned about the reduced oil capacity at all? I read that some of the KTM factory riders such as Knighter joined transmission and oil reservoir like the RFS bike had. Or maybe a HT oil cooler?

And what did you end up with for a riser/submount? I thought you were going to use the Protect one but I see you now have PHDS clamps.

You really should post threads like this in Thumpers, there are a ton of guys interested in them who will miss this because they don't check the Kiwi forum.

Cheers,
Lukas
Hiya Lukas,
Yep, the 530 will sure be lighter than the 640. I'm looking forward to noticing the difference around Day 4!

The "case drilling" experiments used on the likes of Knighters KTM have pretty much been abandoned from my KTM tech resource. The '09's should be good to go as far as the oil separation issues go, given some care. The only crtical issue that remains is the hopeless cam chain tensioner but it's an easy fix from www.dirttricks.com. I doubt I'm going to bother with an HT cooler but will change oil every day at least. (May do a midday change too where possible, including maybe carrying the 600ml of oil for the Marathon days with no midday service).

The submount is a "PT Enduro Concepts" and is custom made to suit the PHDS bar mounts. I have needed to use some spacers to further lift the Scotts damper because of my insistence to use the HardParts SXs triple clamp but apart from that it's all good.

People in Thumpers that miss out on the Kiwi Safari Team Rallye bike build threads ... their loss. Never write off a Kiwi! (Actually the decision to run the thread in the Kiwi Forum was to try and stoke some life into the Kiwi Forum and also build some support for the Kiwi Safari Team. I have to admit it's pretty slow and from my experience observing similar threads in Thumpers and Orange Crush, it would be popular there. Maybe I'll post some of the highlights in Thumpers with a link to here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggles
A query (im curious), is there a reason for going with connectors for individual wires over buying multiple wire connectors for each relay? ( i need a thesaurus and a dictionary) Or is it more of a case of what was at your fingertips...
What I had laying around mainly, when on a tight schedule, but also it's only the headlights and kill switch function for the ignition switch so low priority and easy to bypass and do without. High integrity not required. Also they are simple connectors and easy to replace and also easy to link across if a relay fails. I may well look into the plug connectors but the pinouts for the two different types of relay are different.

Cheers Pete640 . Have to chat to you about the fairings - lot's of interest! When does the production line crank up??
Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #51
InertiaDRZ400
AusSafari Addict

Oddometer: 583
So JayBo, now time for the Hardparts 570 Kit ??

http://www.ktm.com/index.php?id=248&...744&isotype=15

Nice looking bike BTW! Well matched paint!

Safari 2011 ! ........anticipation!
InertiaDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #52
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by InertiaDRZ400
So JayBo, now time for the Hardparts 570 Kit ??

http://www.ktm.com/index.php?id=248&...744&isotype=15

Nice looking bike BTW! Well matched paint!
Ummm how they hell does that work? Is it stroked cause no piston shown, but the crank is the same, but then why is a new barrel needed? Or is it simply an overbore, so where is the piston?

Silly questions - just want to know how 570 it is achieved from 530 cause that pic doesnt help.

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #53
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyr
Ummm how they hell does that work? Is it stroked cause no piston shown, but the crank is the same, but then why is a new barrel needed? Or is it simply an overbore, so where is the piston?

Silly questions - just want to know how 570 it is achieved from 530 cause that pic doesnt help.

Cheers R
Looks like the piston is missing from the pic.
Bored (new barrel)
Stroked (new rod)
Valve springs
CDI
Different cam profile

Knowing KTM prices it'll be reasonably cheap to do too :(
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #54
CPWSAFARI
Silverback

Oddometer: 71
570 Kit

If you look further into it, you will discover all the components are actually all 570 Husaberg parts. The new rod is probably because the berg piston has a bigger top pin for the bigger piston. CDI box might not be berg (due to efi- but you never know ?), but also to probably bring down the rev ceiling.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #55
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Looks like the piston is missing from the pic.
Bored (new barrel)
Stroked (new rod)
Valve springs
CDI
Different cam profile

Knowing KTM prices it'll be reasonably cheap to do too :(
Heading of on a tangent but don't you need a crank with a larger off set to stroke an engine i.e. a rod but itself doesn't do it. If the same crank is used then you simply get the same stroke but with the piston higher or lower in the bore (assuming it is not hitting valves etc) due to the rod length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWSAFARI
If you look further into it, you will discover all the components are actually all 570 Husaberg parts. The new rod is probably because the berg piston has a bigger top pin for the bigger piston. CDI box might not be berg (due to efi- but you never know ?), but also to probably bring down the rev ceiling.
Thanks for that

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 AM   #56
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1
Hiya Lukas,
Yep, the 530 will sure be lighter than the 640. I'm looking forward to noticing the difference around Day 4!

The "case drilling" experiments used on the likes of Knighters KTM have pretty much been abandoned from my KTM tech resource. The '09's should be good to go as far as the oil separation issues go, given some care. The only crtical issue that remains is the hopeless cam chain tensioner but it's an easy fix from www.dirttricks.com. I doubt I'm going to bother with an HT cooler but will change oil every day at least. (May do a midday change too where possible, including maybe carrying the 600ml of oil for the Marathon days with no midday service).

The submount is a "PT Enduro Concepts" and is custom made to suit the PHDS bar mounts. I have needed to use some spacers to further lift the Scotts damper because of my insistence to use the HardParts SXs triple clamp but apart from that it's all good.

People in Thumpers that miss out on the Kiwi Safari Team Rallye bike build threads ... their loss. Never write off a Kiwi! (Actually the decision to run the thread in the Kiwi Forum was to try and stoke some life into the Kiwi Forum and also build some support for the Kiwi Safari Team. I have to admit it's pretty slow and from my experience observing similar threads in Thumpers and Orange Crush, it would be popular there. Maybe I'll post some of the highlights in Thumpers with a link to here).
Good info on the engine, I didn't realize yours was an 09. If you get a chance to post a picture of the sub/bar-mount I'd appreciate it.

Definitely post a link in the thumpers forum. You know those guys love a good rally bike build and unlike lazy Ned and Gaspipe you actually finished yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyr
Heading of on a tangent but don't you need a crank with a larger off set to stroke an engine i.e. a rod but itself doesn't do it. If the same crank is used then you simply get the same stroke but with the piston higher or lower in the bore (assuming it is not hitting valves etc) due to the rod length.
Yup, that's correct. From the parts provided it looks like a big bore and not a stroker kit.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #57
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Latest addition

I like my mailman . He brings me nice shiny things. Look what arrived today - just in time for the Yilgarn Rallye this long weekend.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I've taken tomorrow off work so I can fit it and I'll get some photo's of it on the bike to post up. I also have to finish putting the race numbers on and regrease the rear Mousse. Hopefully I'll enough time to ride a bit and put a few more km's on the engine before changing the oil and filter and calling it "run-in"! Then I can remove the rear guard extender and indicators, attach my miniature laminated number plate and then just pack some riding gear. Oh yeh, and fit my .48 fork springs and maybe the beefed up rear spring (can't remember what weight it is). I'll post a few photo's tomorrow night before I head away to Southern Cross real early on Saturday morning.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #58
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,096
Now that is shiny.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #59
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Final day of preparation

So I bummed out of work today and spent the day in the shed doing last minute stuff. Lucky I did because I found a show-stopper with the rear cush drive wheel.
Anyway, the new bashplate went on. Real simple to fit and solid as a ... well ... a bashplate!
[IMG][/IMG]

Another task for the day was to remove the rear tyre, remove the Mousse from inside the tyre, re-grease it and put it all back together. The drama's started when I went to remove the wheel and found the disk has been rubbing against the caliper . Lucky I only rode it down the driveway and back like this! I have now realised that the measurement I was given for the spacer to be machined down to is incorrect. Either I misunderstood or my hub is different to the other person's hub.

Anyway, I ended up having to go back to the standard 530 wheel so had to swap the disks and sprockets across. Also then had to remove the tyre and tube from the standard wheel and fit the Mousse and Michelin Desert and then throw the whole lot back on the bike. All good in the end for now. I'll get the spacers worked out correctly myself and get new ones machined up ready for the Safari in August. Oh, and obviously I fitted a new 48T Stealth sprocket.
[IMG][/IMG]

I didn't take any photo's of the process but I also changed the fork springs for .48's and checked the fork oil level. Surprisingly the factory had set both legs exactly at 110mm which is the correct standard setting according to the manual. I haven't ridden the bike off road yet so have no reason to change it at the moment so was happy to leave them the same.

So the bike is now done and sitting in the trailer ready for the trip to Southern Cross in the morning. Here she is:
[IMG][/IMG]

I'll try and get some photo's in SX of the event. Catch ya next week.
Cheers
JayBo
Old 04-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #60
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,381
good luck with the rally this weekend Jaybo1. I take it the tank on that beautiful bashguard is for water but how do you get it out again? Tip the bike over?
Bike looks great- good enough for the Toureag next year?
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote