User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
SCQTT OP
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Shoei Hornet DS parts $

Knocked the Hornet over in my office. It was sitting on top of a helmet box (12" high) Sheared off one on the clear plastic visor/pivot/shield screws. Crap! No big deal, I'm sure I can twist in a wood screw and unscrew what is left of the original.

I think I'll just buy the parts form Shoei online, no one has the stuff in stock anyhow. Replacement screws are cheap enough at $3.50 or so for a set, but I think I should just go ahead and buy a smoke shield while I'm at it.

$85.00!!!!!!!

I understand when shields cost $50, but that is expensive. I guess I understand when fancy mirror stuff costs $100. But $85.00 for clear or smoke? That is crazy.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
Knocked the Hornet over in my office. It was sitting on top of a helmet box (12" high) Sheared off one on the clear plastic visor/pivot/shield screws. Crap! No big deal, I'm sure I can twist in a wood screw and unscrew what is left of the original.

I think I'll just buy the parts form Shoei online, no one has the stuff in stock anyhow. Replacement screws are cheap enough at $3.50 or so for a set, but I think I should just go ahead and buy a smoke shield while I'm at it.

$85.00!!!!!!!

I understand when shields cost $50, but that is expensive. I guess I understand when fancy mirror stuff costs $100. But $85.00 for clear or smoke? That is crazy.
Honestly,, after a month of comparing my Hornet to my AFX if it takes $85 to produce a shield w/o distortion then it is worth it. The AFX shield is almost useless because of distortiong.. I would bet a large piece of the price diff between a shoei and the AFX is in the production of the shield.

mrt10x screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 05:20 AM
mrt10x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
...I think I should just go ahead and buy a smoke shield while I'm at it.

$85.00!!!!!!!
That's one of the main reasons I got rid of mine.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
Mine's got some scratches from riding in the woods so when it gets too blurry, I figure $85 will buy several pairs of goggles.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
SCQTT OP
Zwei Kolben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x
Honestly,, after a month of comparing my Hornet to my AFX if it takes $85 to produce a shield w/o distortion then it is worth it. The AFX shield is almost useless because of distortiong.. I would bet a large piece of the price diff between a shoei and the AFX is in the production of the shield.

Good to know. Thanks!

I am not overly cheap. It just seems like a lot to me.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

now if someone can just tell me what "distortiong" is
Old 03-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
SCQTT OP
Zwei Kolben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x
now if someone can just tell me what "distortiong" is
distortiong.

Wearing a helmet with a shield that causes distortion while typing a message after dringking a few beers.

So says Webster's
Old 03-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
FYI all,

I have been sending out replacement (nylon) screws for a while now, about 5 bucks gets two complete sets and a couple extra (price includes shipping). Just PM me your address.
1981 CB900C
I'm not a glass half empty or full guy, I am just happy to have the damn glass!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
dusty308
wanderer

Oddometer: 444
i dont bother with smoke shields anymore i just wear a pair of wiley X sunglases. added protection, interchangable lenses, and about as much as that shield.
cheers
josh
Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,142
Quote:

$85.00!!!!!!!

Yeah.... had I did a little research and found this out when I bought mine, I would have passed. When it comes time for a new shield, I'll dump thelid and get something else.

Also, mine is not distortion free. If I ride with the shield in the the first open detent it's like riding with my eyes crossed.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
For those with a smoke shield, is the tint all the way through the plastic? or just a coating? I've got a rub mark on mine and will leave it alone if it's just a coating, but will attempt to polish it out if it goes all the way through.

And I agree about the distortion. I don't notice any when it is fully closed, but it's freaky when partially open.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher
I don't notice any when it is fully closed, but it's freaky when partially open.
Note that even though there's no detent, the shield will stay open just a crack (at least for me). First detent is too noisy, I just crack it a tad if it's rainy/foggy/etc. Otherwise I open it all the way.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 618
Anyone know of a Canadian supplier for the cheezy plastic screws? Shoei N. American wants $26 plus UPS brokerage fees to send the $3.40 parts up here. The e-mail part of their customer service doesn't work for me and the phone number goes to voice mail and no response of yet.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
wyomingriviera
Ghostface Killah

Oddometer: 260
See if you can get Iron Rey (post #8 above) to send you some. He's the real deal
'07 DL650
wyomingriviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #15
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

I got mine from Iron Rey