Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #1591
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixab
Regarding finding the the bit of metal with a magnet, all the wellnuts I've seen are rubber and brass. Not sure they make a magnet that picks up rubber or brass? l .
I got my special brass/rubber combo magnet at Pep Boys They're right next to the side view mirror barb-b-que brackets...
Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #1592
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,940
Barbeque brackets

HerrHelmet,

Yes, I saw that display. Those brackets are right next to the SUYT flags .
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #1593
Cap'n Crunch
Smelly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Switching to 1 1/8" bars. I got the bar riser/adapter from ebay. search for "pro taper handlebar adapter".

Here's the back story. Got my '03 Dakar a month ago. Too cold and icy to ride. Time to tear apart for maintenance. The steering head bearings were severely notched, no surprise, so that became top priority after oil and filter. I removed the protaper bars that had been fitted on the bike. The 1 1/8" bars were fitted into the stock top triple clamp by using a grinder. Fortunately the bike had never been taken off road. A solid thump to the front end and the bars may have snapped. I plan on riding the bike off road so that setup will not do.
The part number on protaper bars that came on the bike is not readable, so I don't know what I've got. As mounted, those bars were too short. They hit the gauge bezel long before the steering stops. I'm looking for help with finding bars that will fit properly using the 3/4" riser/adapter.

I'm carefully going through this bike with a fine tooth comb. 28,000 miles on the odo. All previous maintenance had been done at a BMW dealer. The steering head bearings were notched so bad that you could feel a thump when turning from center. There were deep grooves in the lower race, as though the bearings had been adjusted far beyond their serviceable life. The air box had old clean oil in it, (overfilling the drysump tank??) I needed a breaker bar to remove the crank case drain plug. Rear mounting bolt for drysump was broken. I found the rubber piece in the air box. I'll be looking for the missing piece when I do the valve adjustment.
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #1594
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmeyer
FYI, my wife ran her Dakar for more than 10000 miles with only the long fat part of the tensioner...hence no spring and no plunger on the bolt side. The absence of the functioning chain tensioner never manifested itself with problems; quite the contrary. The bike ran great.

The missing piece was only discovered when valve checks were done on both bikes at the same time and hers 'felt different' during the disassembly/assembly process.

Because we bought her bike with only 6K miles aboard, it had only its 600 mile service and the 6000. A repair tech either lost the tensioner pieces during one of those services or else it wasn't ever in there.

I'm not sure there is enough slack in the timing chain to allow the cams to skip along the chain and foul timing so much that the valves are damaged.
It was my buddy, who's a mechanic at a BMW shop over here, who alerted me to the problem. They had a bike in which were written off by the insurance company.
Reason: Valvetensioner got stuck fully compressed and the chain jumped.....you can probably guess the rest.

I replaced mine sooner rather than later and I'm thinking there's a reason why a new piece was designed. But it's probably one of those "one in a million" type deals

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #1595
ixab
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 374
Satz KÃzhlmittelpumpenwel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal82
The steering head bearings were notched so bad that you could feel a thump when turning from center. There were deep grooves in the lower race, as though the bearings had been adjusted far beyond their serviceable life.
WTF is up with steering bearings? Mine are notched bad as well. Almost to the point of making the bike frustrating to ride, esp at low speed.

Meanwhile, the bigger fish just landed in the frying pan:

Code:
   Part#           |Description                             |  Each      |  Total
-------------------|----------------------------------------|------------|---------------------
  1/11142343240    |GASKET RING  (A6X10)                    |       $0.57|       $0.57
  1/11517652950    |GASKET                                  |       $3.08|       $3.08
  1/11512343451    |SET: SATZ KüHLMITTELPUMPENWELLE        |      $47.38|      $47.38
  1/11412343107    |STOP DISK  (10,1X17X1)                  |       $0.76|       $0.76
  1/11512343127    |ROLL PIN  (4X19,8)                      |       $1.73|       $1.7

I have to say, based on this bike, I'd never buy another BMW. I'm not exactly impressed with the quality of the engineering or the durability of the bike itself.

Anybody running the barkbuster VPS kit (Twisted Throttle has it)? Anybody running regular old 7/8 bars with no bar end weights and some normally priced bash guards? I keep entertaining the idea of setting up bash guards, and then I see they're $155 and ...

Some decent Pro-Tapers and a set of Moose bash guards would cost right around $100. Not sure what you gain for the extra $50, except the kit comes with 20mm risers and some bar weights. Hard to feel good sinking too much cash into a pig heavy bike with a wimpy motor, and 1983 suspension, that is pushing 40K miles, and is going to eat a water pump with every oil change...

ixab screwed with this post 02-03-2010 at 10:56 PM
ixab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #1596
TwoDuckDad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
I have to say, based on this bike, I'd never buy another BMW. I'm not exactly impressed with the quality of the engineering or the durability of the bike itself.

Anybody running the barkbuster VPS kit (Twisted Throttle has it)? Anybody running regular old 7/8 bars with no bar end weights and some normally priced bash guards? I keep entertaining the idea of setting up bash guards, and then I see they're $155 and ...

Some decent Pro-Tapers and a set of Moose bash guards would cost right around $100. Not sure what you gain for the extra $50, except the kit comes with 20mm risers and some bar weights. Hard to feel good sinking too much cash into a pig heavy bike with a wimpy motor, and 1983 suspension, that is pushing 40K miles, and is going to eat a water pump with every oil change...
The Barkbuster kit fits perfect on the bike and nice that it has 20mm risers which is all you can add without replacing the (over $100) braided brake cable. They will protect your hands and levers much better than the stock guards.

Interesting comments about engineering and lack of power. Assuming you are comparing your year model to other bikes with similar capabilities both on and off road and power...smart a55 comment about to come...get ready...oh yeah, there isn't anything else out there that can offer what the Dakar has. Sure there are better dirt bikes and better road bikes but I've found none better for true DS riding which is all about compromise. Finding the happy medium between different bikes in one system. Sounds like somebody didn't do their homework.

2002 BMW F650GS Dakar
2005 Honda Rune (aka "The Lambo")
2005 Ducati 999S Superbike
TwoDuckDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #1597
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
WTF is up with steering bearings? Mine are notched bad as well. Almost to the point of making the bike frustrating to ride, esp at low speed.

Meanwhile, the bigger fish just landed in the frying pan:

Code:
   Part#           |Description                             |  Each      |  Total
-------------------|----------------------------------------|------------|---------------------
  1/11142343240    |GASKET RING  (A6X10)                    |       $0.57|       $0.57
  1/11517652950    |GASKET                                  |       $3.08|       $3.08
  1/11512343451    |SET: SATZ KüHLMITTELPUMPENWELLE        |      $47.38|      $47.38
  1/11412343107    |STOP DISK  (10,1X17X1)                  |       $0.76|       $0.76
  1/11512343127    |ROLL PIN  (4X19,8)                      |       $1.73|       $1.7

Doing my water pump today on the 03 Dakar as a precautionary measure. The original is still doing it's job at 42,000 miles so I can't complain. My little wimpy motor pulls me, three 40 litre loaded GIVI's and a loaded seat bag at 80 mph all day with plenty of throttle to spare and getting 65+ miles per gallon. Pretty cool motorcycle actually. The Dakar works really well on fire roads and such. Certainly not a woods bike but it is an awesome dual sport if your off road stuff is not knarly. It's especially great if you are a 70/30 street rider that does much cross country touring.
Barry
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #1598
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Ixab, sounds like your bike just needs some attention. And it's commonly found that manufacturers do not apply enough grease to bearing surfaces. BMW included, and your steering bearings were probably never looked at since initial assembly. Use this as an excuse to learn the ins and outs of the bike.

On to me then, I've been collecting things for my Dakar this winter and I just got a package from the all mighty Toura Tech. The twin 55w DE halogens, a 15 tooth sprocket and the chain guard! Yes, I shelled out for just the halogens, but I have my reasons, however ignorant of unfounded. First, I can just mount them up without much fiddling (hopefully). The one with the HID lamp was twice as expensive (although I'm not sure if I can even use it on my single sparker). They are DE, so they are good for road use. And they look awesome. I think they'll be just fine.

Add to that the Supertrapp I got a few months ago, the Baja Designs led turn signals and tail lamp, and an Acerbis fender, and it's time to dig my bike out of the garage!

Pics for ya'll:

Spring can not come soon enough. Lojack
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #1599
ixab
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDuckDad
Finding the happy medium between different bikes in one system. Sounds like somebody didn't do their homework.
I think the fact that I own one attests to the fact that I've done my homework

I really didn't mean to start a flame war, as I figured most F650 owners felt the same way about the bike's shortcomings. The fact that the 650 Dakar fills a hole in the motorcycle spectrum does not automagically raise it to 'great bike' status. It works to get a job done, but compared to the many many other bikes I've owned, it's a medium to poor quality piece of work.

It's also a little sad that BMW basically had a hit on their hands, but opted to neglect this bike for years. There's a long list of improvements that basically everyone makes, and for a decade BMW just kept cranking out the same sub-optimal bike (with widely known mechanical issues). That's business, so I get why they would do that, but it sucks for the guy who gets the bike and tries to use it for what it appears to be intended for. My impression is the F800 is an improvement, but I haven't dug into the details of how those bikes are lasting, etc.

I won't argue that the F650 nicely fills a niche, and that niche is hard to fill with any other bike. But I would never agree that it is a well designed or well made motorcycle. And since I want an reasonably affordable 70/30 dual sport that weighs less than 600lbs, I'm going to keep mine until something better comes along. But I'm still going to bitch about it
Old 02-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #1600
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
I think the fact that I own one attests to the fact that I've done my homework

I really didn't mean to start a flame war, as I figured most F650 owners felt the same way about the bike's shortcomings. The fact that the 650 Dakar fills a hole in the motorcycle spectrum does not automagically raise it to 'great bike' status. It works to get a job done, but compared to the many many other bikes I've owned, it's a medium to poor quality piece of work.

It's also a little sad that BMW basically had a hit on their hands, but opted to neglect this bike for years. There's a long list of improvements that basically everyone makes, and for a decade BMW just kept cranking out the same sub-optimal bike (with widely known mechanical issues). That's business, so I get why they would do that, but it sucks for the guy who gets the bike and tries to use it for what it appears to be intended for. My impression is the F800 is an improvement, but I haven't dug into the details of how those bikes are lasting, etc.

I won't argue that the F650 nicely fills a niche, and that niche is hard to fill with any other bike. But I would never agree that it is a well designed or well made motorcycle. And since I want an reasonably affordable 70/30 dual sport that weighs less than 600lbs, I'm going to keep mine until something better comes along. But I'm still going to bitch about it
You're absolutely right. Those Dakars are all pieces o S**t!

Now that mine's gone I hope everyone realizes it and the resale value plummets!

Then I might be willing to take one of these poorly designed and poorly made motorcycles (if you can even call them a motorcycle) for a reasonable price, not the ridiculous prices people have been fetching for these POS machines.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #1601
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
I think we can all agree it's not the best thought out design without getting our backs up.

Change oil: Start by removing the indicators!!!???
Remove RHS engine cover: Start by loosening and move backwards the ABS pump and remove the oil return hose because we couldn't be bothered working out a proper route for a rubber hose!!!??

Once you do all that and get it back together things don't tend to get back together like it came out of the factory. Ie the front plastics. But they only fitted to begin with because the bolts holding them up weren't tightened to begin with. So I lost one on the way home from picking it up from pre-delivery.

Who's stripped out the plastic thread holding the snorkel to the battery tray? Can't be just me. Or maybe I clean my filter more than most. The plastic thread clips holding the dashboard don't stay in. The electrical wiring rubs the pre-load adjuster and can set the bike on fire!!. The ignition wire is strained at the key switch and is known to break. The wet battery was put in the hottest place on the bike with a breather hose hanging above the beautifully designed (by Rotax) motor. The front fender doesn't keep the water off ya. No fork gaiters because of the concern of overheating. So just let the bastards change their seals. Should be ok because we didn't actually lube the swingarm and linkage bearings.
Can't change the handlebar to a better version or put proper handguards (6mm bolt is not enough. Should be an 8mm.) on because some fairy didn't like to see the heated grip wires. So instead they come up with the most time intensive handlebar around. But no, there's no money to beefen up the front axle mount. She'll be right. Oh no, she aint. So we'll change the part numbers without anyone knowing. No one will ever know, because we're BMW and our customers are like groupies.
Did I miss anything.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Dakar, but BM doesn't have much to do with it. I think Rotax, Hella and Tyco did a great job.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #1602
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
I think we can all agree it's not the best thought out design without getting our backs up.

Change oil: Start by removing the indicators!!!???
Remove RHS engine cover: Start by loosening and move backwards the ABS pump and remove the oil return hose because we couldn't be bothered working out a proper route for a rubber hose!!!??

Once you do all that and get it back together things don't tend to get back together like it came out of the factory. Ie the front plastics. But they only fitted to begin with because the bolts holding them up weren't tightened to begin with. So I lost one on the way home from picking it up from pre-delivery.

Who's stripped out the plastic thread holding the snorkel to the battery tray? Can't be just me. Or maybe I clean my filter more than most. The plastic thread clips holding the dashboard don't stay in. The electrical wiring rubs the pre-load adjuster and can set the bike on fire!!. The ignition wire is strained at the key switch and is known to break. The wet battery was put in the hottest place on the bike with a breather hose hanging above the beautifully designed (by Rotax) motor. The front fender doesn't keep the water off ya. No fork gaiters because of the concern of overheating. So just let the bastards change their seals. Should be ok because we didn't actually lube the swingarm and linkage bearings.
Can't change the handlebar to a better version or put proper handguards (6mm bolt is not enough. Should be an 8mm.) on because some fairy didn't like to see the heated grip wires. So instead they come up with the most time intensive handlebar around. But no, there's no money to beefen up the front axle mount. She'll be right. Oh no, she aint. So we'll change the part numbers without anyone knowing. No one will ever know, because we're BMW and our customers are like groupies.
Did I miss anything.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Dakar, but BM doesn't have much to do with it. I think Rotax, Hella and Tyco did a great job.

Ask around - you sound just like me

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #1603
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Did I miss anything.
How about a luggage rack without any place to fasten luggage straps ?

And don't you just love torx. And the fabulous torx keys provided with the bike ....

Or the skidplate mount which, if actually used, can never be taken off again..... unless ofcourse you don't give a shit

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #1604
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
I forgot about that. How crap is that bashplate. It doesn't extend to the rear of the motor so is pretty useless. Plus the mounting for the BM accessory isn't strong enough. I've bent mine to. Not as bad as that though. It's also too heavy and complicated the checking of the motor mounting bolts which is pretty important when you go on the dirt a lot.

I'm actually working on my own bashplate. Something that you can leave on, protects the whole motor but still provide access to everything.
This is the prototype made out of 2mm. Apparently you can cut 4mm with a jig saw so I'll have a stab at that. Than just get it bent and welded.

Not sure if I like the sharp angles. It's really difficult to round that off.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #1605
wpoll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Did I miss anything.
How about the steering head bearings? Or the water pump? Or the EFI on the early versions (fixed by putting the second spark plug back!)?

"...The world is actually on your side..." - Ted Simon
wpoll is offline   Reply With Quote