Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #2356
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad
Not sure exactly, but it appears that there is a bracket possibly only one screw. (I'll look at mine later today). I think it's hard to answer your question without a picture, which is probably difficult in your situation, but it sounds like if you can stop if from rattling and inspect at each fuel stop, you might be ok for a while. At least until you can reach an area where you could provide some pictures.
Thanks HowlingMad. Looking at the parts fiche it is definately the carbon cannister. There is not much to see of this thing as installed. Just a piece of the top and the two hoses and that is it. Regular inspections are a bit of a problem because of all the luggage for this trip, but I will have a look at it tomorrow again to see if my Touratech caliber Turkish garbage bag, so carefully shoved in the hole is still there. Do you have any idea what is involed in getting the fuel tank out of the hole?

KP
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #2357
MTBXR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Lower Chain roller

Just checking because I am getting mixed responses. I was checking/cleaning my chain the other day and notice for the first time that the lower chain roller was absent. I don't know when it left or if even it was ever on there. Assuming it should have one I order one, but then to find out my model (06 GS) never had one to begin with. So, yes or no - does this bike need a lower chain roller?

thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #2358
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBXR
Just checking because I am getting mixed responses. I was checking/cleaning my chain the other day and notice for the first time that the lower chain roller was absent. I don't know when it left or if even it was ever on there. Assuming it should have one I order one, but then to find out my model (06 GS) never had one to begin with. So, yes or no - does this bike need a lower chain roller?

thanks
The GS did not come with the lower roller; I believe the Dakar did. If you extend the rear travel you will probably need to fit one (to a GS)
rmarkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #2359
MTBXR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr
The GS did not come with the lower roller; I believe the Dakar did. If you extend the rear travel you will probably need to fit one (to a GS)
Thanks, that's $70 I saved.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #2360
sonicapollo
Adventure Addict

Oddometer: 175
Turn Signal

Busted a front signal on my 03'. I had intended to replace them anyway. Anyone have any good recommendation for an offroad (read flexible and maybe small) signal set I should look into? Probably replace just the front 2... but may be tempted to do them all at once.

Anyone who says the TT set will be shot and eaten.

sonicapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #2361
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicapollo
Busted a front signal on my 03'. I had intended to replace them anyway. Anyone have any good recommendation for an offroad (read flexible and maybe small) signal set I should look into? Probably replace just the front 2... but may be tempted to do them all at once.

You could try these....

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...BD14-U0279-5_G

Personally I went to flush mount LEDs which you can also find at Cyclegear.com

Remember it's literally a slippery slope when you ride these bikes off-road. Streetbike hardware with a GS teaser logo... next thing you know you'll be taking off the "possum scraper"
Old 05-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #2362
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicapollo

Zeta handguard bolt-ons. I have a set on my DRZ. Not only are they super bright, but they really clean up the front end. No more blinkers to snap off

Mine came blank...no decals.

Awesome little pieces. Got mine from Wheeling Cycle

Only pic I have of my set

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #2363
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygroh
Oops, you guys are right. I wired the switch so it interrupts the signal sent from the front abs sensor. The dashlight flashes and I can drop my bike as much as I want and each time I start it the abs stays off.
Does it kill the whole ABS system or just the front?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #2364
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature
I'm about 99.8% certain that in the event of an ABS fault (which is what this mod simulates) the entire system is disabled.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #2365
rygroh
Noobs UNITE

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature
Yea, it turns the whole thing off.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #2366
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum
Thanks HowlingMad. Looking at the parts fiche it is definately the carbon cannister. There is not much to see of this thing as installed. Just a piece of the top and the two hoses and that is it. Regular inspections are a bit of a problem because of all the luggage for this trip, but I will have a look at it tomorrow again to see if my Touratech caliber Turkish garbage bag, so carefully shoved in the hole is still there. Do you have any idea what is involed in getting the fuel tank out of the hole?

KP
Do you mean removing the fuel tank or the charcoal canister? Either way, I'm hoping others in here can help since I've never removed either. I can't even get a decent picture of the canister, so it looks like at least a two beer project.

I know there are more knowledgeable people in here, so hopefully they can help chime in. If not, you could try the Chain Gang or the HUBB.

Good luck.

Touratech Turkish Garbage Bracket. Sounds redundant.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #2367
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
That's great, I've been looking for a solution to this problem (tried different switches, etc). Could you share a little more details about where you intercepted the sensor? I assume where the cable terminates since the sheath is fairly well protected.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #2368
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 450
carbon canister loose, in Turkey need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad
Do you mean removing the fuel tank or the charcoal canister?
In order to get the carbon cannister out I need to remove the fuel tank, and for which I need to remove what? Seems like the whole subframe has to come off. Chaingang gave me zero response.

That thing droppoed waayyy down:

To the point it sat on the engine, so I shoved it back up and propped it up with a garbage back from the bottom:

BTW, greetings from Turkey, full ride report at
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568261

khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #2369
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Cool! New mod in the works then. That's been the most annoying thing about this bike.

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #2370
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
RC Mads Rockin' Dogbones...

So RC Mad had these made up and I never ponied up in time... so he was kind enough to send me a .dwg file which I emailed to my friend with a CNC machine and long story short.

Raised the bike one angry inch" Overall ground clearance is 13" and seat is now 37" since I'm a tall guy I needed to do this a long time ago. With the forks dropped down to the max in the triple and the suspension unwound a bit, the bike takes whoops 100% better than before. REALLY FUN.

This was just a rough one-off for testing, so I plan to make the arm thickness just a bit smaller since my allen head shock bolt was scraping.

So thanks to John. I'm going to have some more made up and just figure to compensate my friend and pay for the metal if anyone is interested I will find out how much he needs. You can PM me.

Jim