Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #2521
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
[B]
Gross weight limit........................380 kg ( 838 lb)

380 kg minus bike = 187 kg
187 kg - Thomas = 77 kg ish
77 kg - camping gear = 52 kg
52 kg - what's in my pockets

Now looking for about 50 kg....

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #2522
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
thanks for pointing that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname

For those of us who've stripped the bikes, we know what you can get it down to.

Since when does TT make any piece of shit that weighs ten lbs or less?

I'd be a little worried about anyone's claims that can't spell and thinks that three g's of fuel weighs ten lbs.
Thanks for pointing out I'm a terrible speller I didn't know that.

If you say everything posted on the internet is true then I guess it must be.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #2523
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard
Thanks for pointing out I'm a terrible speller I didn't know that.

If you say everything posted on the internet is true then I guess it must be.

Don't get mad because you can't spell or perform simple mathematical equations. Get educated!

About a week after I bought my Dakar I weighed it on a freshly (one hour before) calibrated shipping scale at a shipping company with about 1/2 gallon of fuel in it. It weighed 391.3 lbs exactly.

As I was stripping my bike I took careful notes on what each piece weighed as I removed it. All up, every piece weighed about 58lbs. I can't find my notes right now to give you the exact number. I then went into another stripping and replacing mode, where I replaced all body plastic and skid plate assembly including the under-carriage with carbon/aramid pieces. I probably cut all of the original by half in weight. Most likely lost another 5-8 lbs.

So for shits and giggles lets say that I cut my bike down by 60lbs, which I think is on the shy side. My bike weighs about 320-330 lbs. I will be taking it to a freight forwarder office sometime soon and will take a picture of the read-out on the scale for those who follow this stuff.

Oh Yeah, Right back at ya!
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #2524
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Don't get mad because you can't spell or perform simple mathematical equations. Get educated!

About a week after I bought my Dakar I weighed it on a freshly (one hour before) calibrated shipping scale at a shipping company with about 1/2 gallon of fuel in it. It weighed 391.3 lbs exactly.

As I was stripping my bike I took careful notes on what each piece weighed as I removed it. All up, every piece weighed about 58lbs. I can't find my notes right now to give you the exact number. I then went into another stripping and replacing mode, where I replaced all body plastic and skid plate assembly including the under-carriage with carbon/aramid pieces. I probably cut all of the original by half in weight. Most likely lost another 5-8 lbs.

So for shits and giggles lets say that I cut my bike down by 60lbs, which I think is on the shy side. My bike weighs about 320-330 lbs. I will be taking it to a freight forwarder office sometime soon and will take a picture of the read-out on the scale for those who follow this stuff.

Oh Yeah, Right back at ya!
I'd love to see that scale picture. You shouldn't care that I don't believe you.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #2525
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard
I'd love to see that scale picture. You shouldn't care that I don't believe you.
I don't care that you don't believe me, I'm offended by your ignorance.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #2526
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
I don't care that you don't believe me, I'm offended by your ignorance.
I don't care that Rob doesn't care that you don't care.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #2527
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
I don't care that Rob doesn't care that you don't care.

I don't care that you don't care that I don't care that I shouldn't care.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #2528
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

it looks great

Sorry if I pissed you off. Your bike does look awesome. Possibly the best f650 out there.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #2529
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer: 558
notmybikemodelname, I was wondering,
with your tailgate full of gas, and since you seem to ride almost only offroad, is the shifting wait of liquid so high on the bike a problem when you bounce around?
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #2530
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonHomme
notmybikemodelname, I was wondering,
with your tailgate full of gas, and since you seem to ride almost only offroad, is the shifting wait of liquid so high on the bike a problem when you bounce around?
Haven't noticed it. But then again, I've only put about a 1/2 gallon or so in it so far. I really built it just for the KotW Rally, not for every day use. Also, the tank has two slosh baffles in it, so I don't think I'll really notice any shifting.

However, I'm pretty used to carrying an 18 pack in my tail bag and riding with that with no issues.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 06-13-2010 at 11:46 PM
Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #2531
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer: 558
Quote:

However, I'm pretty used to carrying an 18 pack in my tail bag and riding with that with no issues.
Good training indeed, since like gas, beer volume goes down as the trip goes onwards
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #2532
Philmeup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
G'day to you all, this is my first post on this thread. I have a 2009 G650GS this thread is the nearest I could find for the problem I have. I've blown my right fork seal, and found a small horizontal scratch ( which I think may be the cause) about 2cm long about 3/4 way up the staunchen(I think that's what it's called). The scratch is not deep. Is it a hard job to change seal and buff out scratch( I've never done this before and don't want to fuk the staunchen is $700 Aussie new from BMW)
I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction, don't want to give my hard earned to BMW if it's a job I can do myself. Thanks
Philmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #2533
southbound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Changing the fork seals isn't that hard, it just takes a little while. I found all the info I needed on www.f650.com, it's in the FAQ. Hardest part was getting the old seal out, used a piece of pvc as a tool to bang in the new seal. I think I bought my new seal at a Honda dealer. I had a nick in my fork that caused the leak, I buffed it out with a piece of scotch brite and never had any other problems.

Get some neoprene seal savers, or some Yamaha forks.
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #2534
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmeup
G'day to you all, this is my first post on this thread. I have a 2009 G650GS this thread is the nearest I could find for the problem I have. I've blown my right fork seal, and found a small horizontal scratch ( which I think may be the cause) about 2cm long about 3/4 way up the staunchen(I think that's what it's called). The scratch is not deep. Is it a hard job to change seal and buff out scratch( I've never done this before and don't want to fuk the staunchen is $700 Aussie new from BMW)
I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction, don't want to give my hard earned to BMW if it's a job I can do myself. Thanks
It's hard to say if that caused your seal to blow. I guess if you did ride the bike hard enough to compress the forks it could leak where that nick is. Does the seal weap when the bike is just lightly ridden or sitting? If not then maybe you could buff the nick out without replacing the seal... I would show it to a mechanic first....

Also watch out for the neoprene "seal savers" sometimes you end up collecting more hidden dirt inside them that ends up scratching them up worse... I know guys that forget to clean them and are shocked when they ruin their seals anyway.

herrhelmet screwed with this post 06-15-2010 at 04:56 PM
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #2535
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmeup
I read a report of guys using a filler (perhaps JD Weld) to repair pitting in older fork stanchions. A horizontal scratch in the tube will hurt the seal.
If you can't fill it or buff it out, the fork repair guys can re-chrome it and machine it back to spec.
rmarkr is online now   Reply With Quote