Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #2941
bthebert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by chonkoman
Thanks for all your suggestions. I broke everything down again and found out the gasket grease that was recommended to me by advance auto parts turned my gaskets into mush, thus the pouring out of my coolant from the weep holes. I will order some new seals and use no grease next time and hope for better luck. Hard to go another week without riding!
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense at all.

If the SIDE COVER gasket got "turned to mush", you would leak OIL, not coolant.

There is no "gasket" under the water pump (impeller) cover. Just an O-ring.

There is only ONE "weep hole".

Something's fishy here.
2008 WR250R

Coast to Coast x 2
bthebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #2942
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,943
MYBLUETT, pm sent

Let's talk!
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #2943
smokin998
Rides Water Buffalo

Oddometer: 35
Is the stock kick stand on a BMW F650GS burly enough to support the weight of the rider while climbing on the bike? I've seen a few guys doing this and was wondering if someone has intimate knowledge ????
Old 07-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #2944
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBLUETT
i had the pivot pegz on the dak and thought very highly of them before switching to the TT set that came with the relocation kit.

(still have the pivots if you are interested)
2nd dibs if her is not interested
Old 07-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #2945
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
one more thing

anyone know where i can get thoes 2 small parts that fit onto or into the bolts underneatht he round covers on the rear panels. they are used for hooking bungee straps too

i had linkfor them but cant find it now
Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #2946
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,805
>"Is the stock kick stand on a BMW F650GS burly enough to support the weight of the rider while climbing on the bike?"

I mounted the Dakar that way for a year, with no failures. (note that the kick stand has a 1" pad on the bottom).

I've lost 75 lbs and can climb on now. :>)
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #2947
smokin998
Rides Water Buffalo

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone
>"Is the stock kick stand on a BMW F650GS burly enough to support the weight of the rider while climbing on the bike?"

I mounted the Dakar that way for a year, with no failures. (note that the kick stand has a 1" pad on the bottom).

I've lost 75 lbs and can climb on now. :>)
Thanks. It's a bit of a task climbing on with a full load when you've got stubby legs. I kinda have to take a run at it and hope for the best.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #2948
skipro3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin998
Is the stock kick stand on a BMW F650GS burly enough to support the weight of the rider while climbing on the bike? I've seen a few guys doing this and was wondering if someone has intimate knowledge ????
I have a 2" spacer on my kick stand. I mount it from the high side, the throttle side. When I put my weight on that peg, the bike is naturally unweighted off the kick stand. Gotta be quick or it will come all the way over, but I like it better than putting all my weight on the stand plus the bike's weight. I learned this from a CHP motorman BTW... Since this lesson, every CHP bike rider I see gets on and off their motorcycle on the high/throttle side.
skipro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #2949
Number8teen
Uncompetent

Oddometer: 10,516
Hey all...

I've got an 07 Dakar and I was wondering if anyone's had strictly electrical surging/shorting type problems with the bike before. Probably really not the best word to describe it, and a search for surging on this thread brings up the single spark engine surging/stalling issues.

My bike runs just fine, but on a long trip back home this weekend I noticed the spedo/tach drop down to zero and kick back into place a couple of times. Then I noticed that my odometer had, uh, sort of reset itself. Maybe the bike wanted to increase its own value, but unfortunately it doesn't understand the existence of titles. Although if I could catch up to the original amount I guess that'd work... only 34k to go.

I also had the reserve light kick on once that I noticed, for a few seconds, then turn off when I had well over half a tank left. When this happens, the bike continues running fine. Starts up fine, too. Signals/brake lights seem alright. Oh and when the tach/spedo thing happens, the clock resets itself.

If this type of issue's been discussed here before, just let me know that I should go back to diggin' it up. Otherwise, any ideas? Hope my bike's brains aren't going bad, but given counters resetting and all...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #2950
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,943
Check your battery lugs

It sounds electrical all right...check to make sure your battery lugs are tight. Don't ask me how i know that can be a problem. Then work up from there. Check all electrical connections. KISS problem solving.

Nice to see you at WestFest! Nanc and I were going to say "hello" (Nanc is originally from Cumberland, WI), but you were having too much fun to be bugged by us old farts.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #2951
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8teen
Hey all...

I noticed the spedo/tach drop down to zero and kick back into place a couple of times. Then I noticed that my odometer had, uh, sort of reset itself. Maybe the bike wanted to increase its own value, but unfortunately it doesn't understand the existence of titles. Although if I could catch up to the original amount I guess that'd work... only 34k to go.

I used to have an 06 F650GS and I had the tach going crazy once. At suggestion of others, I checked my battery connection, found it a little loose. Tightened it down and no problem afterwards...

Others suggested the water caused it...

Dunno about the odo reset...never heard of that before.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #2952
Number8teen
Uncompetent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X
It sounds electrical all right...check to make sure your battery lugs are tight. Don't ask me how i know that can be a problem. Then work up from there. Check all electrical connections. KISS problem solving.

Nice to see you at WestFest! Nanc and I were going to say "hello" (Nanc is originally from Cumberland, WI), but you were having too much fun to be bugged by us old farts.
Thanks, I'll do that! I hope that it's something as simple as the battery connections. And you shoulda come and said hi! I wouldn't have been able to say much back without my voice, but I sure managed to talk a lot anyway. Always good to meet fellow midwesterners. Hope you two had fun! Makin' the central rally?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #2953
Number8teen
Uncompetent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
I used to have an 06 F650GS and I had the tach going crazy once. At suggestion of others, I checked my battery connection, found it a little loose. Tightened it down and no problem afterwards...

Others suggested the water caused it...

Dunno about the odo reset...never heard of that before.
Water from rain or...?

Seems like battery lugs are the popular culprit and the easiest thing to check so I'll do that after work tonight. And yeah, the odo reset is what has me most worried that the problem might be a little more serious, but I'll just hope for the best.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #2954
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8teen
Water from rain or...?

Seems like battery lugs are the popular culprit and the easiest thing to check so I'll do that after work tonight. And yeah, the odo reset is what has me most worried that the problem might be a little more serious, but I'll just hope for the best.
If that doesn't take care of things, the next thing to check is the electrical box right behind the steering head. Water can work its way into the relay contacts and make strange things happen. I like to spray contact cleaner inside that box now and then.

My bike had weird troubles with the console for a long time until I figured that out. A dealership even replaced the console under warranty once, which didn't actually help things.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #2955
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
one more thing

anyone know where i can get thoes 2 small parts that fit onto or into the bolts underneatht he round covers on the rear panels. they are used for hooking bungee straps too

i had linkfor them but cant find it now

Those are part of the stock luggage mounting system. BMW part #71607653836, US $37.50 each MSRP.

JDLuke screwed with this post 07-28-2010 at 10:28 AM
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote