Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #61
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
...and No, I have now idea how to ride a motorcycle at all. I just sit on them and make "vrooom vrooom" noises in the garage in my spare time.
That's cool! I usually make more of a zoom zoom noise, but each to his own.

By the way, I've ridden KLR's and they can't hold a candle to a Dakar in solid feeel, acceleration, reliability and handling to tell you the truth.........now I gues I get to hear from the KLR guys
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #62
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
By the way, I've ridden KLR's and they can't hold a candle to a Dakar in solid feeel, acceleration, reliability and handling to tell you the truth.........
Agreed!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #63
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Wow

WOW, what brought that on?

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

As we were just saying, how about that BMW F650GS Dakar...

JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #64
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
magnetic sheet

I visit this forum a bit and one of the guys has found some self adesive flexible metal sheet that he has cut and stuck to his tank so he can use a magnetic tank bag.
Just ordered some myself. http://www.f650.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8389
Before you shred me......... I can't edit the subject, it should read metal sheet !

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt

mcgiggle screwed with this post 03-16-2009 at 01:02 AM
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #65
Got2Moto
Got2MotoGraphics

Oddometer: 505
Hey Bigem!

What brand of tail rack is that?
Got2Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #66
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Street oriented DS tires for my Dakar...

I've been running Mefo Explorers for several sets of tires now on my 03 Dakar (17"R/21"F) and like their relative long life and handling on a mix of street/gravel/dirt.

But over the next few months I'm going to be 95-98% on road with an occasional brief foray on gravel and want a good handling, quiet, more street-oriented tire that's good in the wet or dry and that'll last at least 10K miles front and rear.

I'm looking at either the Avon Distanzas or Gripsters, possibly Michelin Anakees, but would be open to other suggestions.

Any personal experience with these or other street oriented DS tires I may want to check out will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #67
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
I've been running Mefo Explorers for several sets of tires now on my 03 Dakar (17"R/21"F) and like their relative long life and handling on a mix of street/gravel/dirt.

But over the next few months I'm going to be 95-98% on road with an occasional brief foray on gravel and want a good handling, quiet, more street-oriented tire that's good in the wet or dry and that'll last at least 10K miles front and rear.

I'm looking at either the Avon Distanzas or Gripsters, possibly Michelin Anakees, but would be open to other suggestions.

Any personal experience with these or other street oriented DS tires I may want to check out will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Good street and gravel road experience with my now second set of Anakees...
And as one may expect they are no fun in sand, loose soft dirt or god forbid "MUD".

Rad
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #68
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
I have been very happy with the Metzler sahara 3 tire. I find they work well on wet and dry tarmac. not to bad in easy dirt and gravel.

JUST MY .02

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #69
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Getting ready to put on my second set of Tourances. I have no reason to try anything else. I have 9k on them and the rear still has a few more k left on it, the front even more. They are fantastic street tires. This is my daily ride and in San Diego that means every day of the year. I like to head out into the mountains on Sunday afternoon and wring its neck. I grind a lot of metal before I reach the limits of the tires. I rode in rain and gravel every day for a week last summer on a trip to Alaska. Great rain tires. I like to go out to the desert now and then and thats when I wish I had TKCs. Tourances suck in the deep sand.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #70
underwaterguru OP
Moto shop Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Great posts

I do not get it though. The one advantage the BMW has over every other thing here. Can any one say fuel injected!!! Did 150 miles on the WR (yes my yamaha) this past weekend on Lockhart Basin in Moab. A guy riding with us did it on a 640 adventure. I feel the BMW would have done just fine with TK's on it. When we went down Kane Creek the KTM took the road into Moab. I would have done the same on the Dakar. Moral of the story. Want to ride a street bike on dirt bike trails and cry??? Just take the dirt bike out. Seams easy to me. Keep up the posts, I am learning a lot.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #71
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
Can't agree more. My Dakar is great. But it won't do everything. How many bikes we need to have to cover the spectrum of possibilities? With the right choices, I'd I say at least 3. And also agree with the fuel injection. Can't beat that - and it is smooth at it, BTW.
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwaterguru
I do not get it though. The one advantage the BMW has over every other thing here. Can any one say fuel injected!!! Did 150 miles on the WR (yes my yamaha) this past weekend on Lockhart Basin in Moab. A guy riding with us did it on a 640 adventure. I feel the BMW would have done just fine with TK's on it. When we went down Kane Creek the KTM took the road into Moab. I would have done the same on the Dakar. Moral of the story. Want to ride a street bike on dirt bike trails and cry??? Just take the dirt bike out. Seams easy to me. Keep up the posts, I am learning a lot.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #72
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
+1 on the FI

Love it. Even more not I am reminded by my new DRZ how much of a pain a carby is compared to it.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #73
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by underwaterguru
I do not get it though. The one advantage the BMW has over every other thing here. Can any one say fuel injected!!!
+1

Also, can anyone say 3 year factory warranty.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #74
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Moto

What brand of tail rack is that?

That would be a "Bigem" brand my friend. I could not find anything that was even close to the quality and usability I was after so I fabricated it my self out of stainless tube and fitted a Kolpin jerry into it. When the jerry's not on it I have a another "rack" that fits in its place on the Kolpin mount. I have sold the bike and still have the rack but a very good friend of mine has asked me to hang onto it for him. Andrew
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:49 AM   #75
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Here is mine dirty....piccies are clickable

From Cambrian rallye 2008

From Cambrian rallye 2008
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote