User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #751
Pootrol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
burred sump plug:(

ok, so i have been following chain gang for doing my oil change.

the sump plug is bloody tight... and i burred the darn thing.. what are my options?
Pootrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #752
RivahRider
Windrider

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssigs
Hi Guy's, being new to F650's wanted to ask a couple of questions. Couple of months ago brought my wife a 2004 F650 GS which I'm very impressed with. At 100 - 130k/h smooth as, smoother to me than my Deauville. So last weekend purchased a 2001 Dakar, 60K + on the clock but otherwise in good condition. However, 100 - 120 k/h much stronger "buzz" in footpegs and bars. Assumed spec re balancers with later models changed but have been unable to find details - can anyone advise re updates that make the twin spark smoother? This leads to a 2nd question; can I install a later model twin spark motor into the 2001 frame and if so how easy? If anyone has done this what are the problems to look out for?
You might think all this is a bit extreme but let me explain, I live in Singapore and these bikes are a scarce as hens teeth. So far this year only 3 Dakars advertised, the other 2 had 30 - 50,000 more k's than the one I brought. 2nd this bike has been partially rebuilt with most of what I call the rear sub frame - footpeg mounts etc replaced within the last 6 months so I'm prepared to spend a little more if I get a long term bike to tour Malaysia, Thailand and further afield.
And yes has the "surge" 3,000 - 4,000rpm but I can live with that provided it's reliable. Any tips on living with this appreciated, have read everything on f650.com.
Thanks in advance...
Check that the sprockets are stock size. Lots of riders change to lower geering and that would make things buzzier. Also mine will some times be a little buzzier than others for no apparent reason, but is generaly very smooth. Valve adjustment, plugs. tires, loose fasteners can all make a difference too. I would put some miles on it before doing anything like replaceing the engine. I absolutly love my F650GS. Good luck.

Speak only if you can improve the silence.

You may see me tonight with an illegal smile
It don’t cost very much but it lasts a long while
Will you please tell the man I didn’t kill any one
I’m just tryin’ to have me some fun
~John Prine~

2007 F650GS
2009 R1200GS
RivahRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #753
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootrol
ok, so i have been following chain gang for doing my oil change.

the sump plug is bloody tight... and i burred the darn thing.. what are my options?
There are damaged bolt/nut removal kits, this one's from Sears

earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #754
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Tires and pressure make a tremondous difference on my '01. Rear shock pre-load has an effect as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssigs
Hi Guy's, being new to F650's wanted to ask a couple of questions. Couple of months ago brought my wife a 2004 F650 GS which I'm very impressed with. At 100 - 130k/h smooth as, smoother to me than my Deauville. So last weekend purchased a 2001 Dakar, 60K + on the clock but otherwise in good condition. However, 100 - 120 k/h much stronger "buzz" in footpegs and bars. Assumed spec re balancers with later models changed but have been unable to find details - can anyone advise re updates that make the twin spark smoother? This leads to a 2nd question; can I install a later model twin spark motor into the 2001 frame and if so how easy? If anyone has done this what are the problems to look out for?
You might think all this is a bit extreme but let me explain, I live in Singapore and these bikes are a scarce as hens teeth. So far this year only 3 Dakars advertised, the other 2 had 30 - 50,000 more k's than the one I brought. 2nd this bike has been partially rebuilt with most of what I call the rear sub frame - footpeg mounts etc replaced within the last 6 months so I'm prepared to spend a little more if I get a long term bike to tour Malaysia, Thailand and further afield.
And yes has the "surge" 3,000 - 4,000rpm but I can live with that provided it's reliable. Any tips on living with this appreciated, have read everything on f650.com.
Thanks in advance...
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #755
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
I've got 2 07 Dakars and noticed that mine has heaps more vibes than my wifes. Tightened everything up and still nothing different. So I decided to remove all the crash bars using the engine mounts (as most if not all do) and I think I've fixed it now. Apparently it doesn't take much. Just tightening it may not always show up broken bolts. Torque is 41Nm on the large and 21Nm on the smaller ones.

tmotten screwed with this post 08-11-2009 at 03:39 PM
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #756
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 577
Top Case Mounting Issue

Hey there!

Looking for a little direction...I just bought an '03 F650GS (sorry, not a Dakar, but y'all seem like a helpful crowd!) and I've bought a BMW top case for it from a fellow inmate. It seems like I'm missing some parts for it to mount properly though and if anyone here has already done this, your input would be greatly appreciated!

This is what I've got to work with...

This mount came with the top case I purchased, but for the life of me I know it doesn't fit in the space above.

I clearly need some of the parts from the retrofit kit below, but not sure which ones.

#2 - Probably.
#7 - Maybe? But what does it mount to on my bike?
And what in the world are the two bars by #8?

Any ideas??

Here's a picture of the bike...wasn't sure about the color scheme at first, but it's growing on me! A whole 'nother issue...Took it out to get muddy Saturday on our fine GA red clay, but it started stalling out on my when I got off the throttle. Took the slab home 40 miles into the ride and every time I'd get close to a stop sign, it'd stall. Read some threads about start up methods, "training" the EFI, etc. but I have no idea what's up. Rode it to work this morning and it seems fine.

PS, if there's a better thread for this, let me know!
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #757
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
It's been a while since I installed that piece myself. Seems to me that I had to move at least one small metal bracket out of the way in order to do the install.

I'll look to see if I still have the mounting instructions anywhere...

Does this picture help at all?
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #758
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUG SLUG
Well JD I have only had the TKC 8os on my bike for six months - I love them in the dirt (single track and washed out jeep trails - Pachague State Forest in CT) and they don't do half bad two-up on the the highway either. I do not have much experience with other tires - so when these are done I would be very happy to get another set - but I would also like to try some different set-ups to see what I like...........
Thanks for the perspective. 50/50 dirt street 2-up will be my primmary configuration so that is good to know. I have the Metzler Tourance and they are awesome on the street. Quiet,smooth and very sticky on-road but off-road OK untill it gets the slightest bit damp. Anything but good gravel roads and then they are a handfull.

Thinkin bout the TKC 8os real hard...
Old 08-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #759
southbound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Rad,

Haven't been around here much, really busy taking people fishing. Got the bike dailed in and am loving the setup now that I have a round front wheel. Whatever Richard did inside there works really well for me. I have not fully bottomed the forks yet despite my best efforts. My "beak" does rub my front tire when the Dakar re-establishes contact with the earth - the first time it happened the sound woke me up a little bit.

I really like my TKC 80s. I have the Mefo's and Anakees in the past. The Anakees are not a good tire for me, way too squirelly in gravel and dirt. The mefos were much better but the front I still found to be a little squirelly in gravel. The TKC 80 is by far my favorite, super planted off pavement. Having said that they are not as solid as either of the previous on pavement, but are better than I thought they would be.

I will get the TKC 80 again, or maybe the TKC front/Mefo or similar rear depending on what mileage I get out of these. I really like the front.

Hope you had a good trip out to CO.
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #760
southbound
Adventurer

Here's a pic, thanks for all of your help.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #761
southbound
Adventurer

Can't get the pic to upload, screw it.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #762
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst
Hey there!

Looking for a little direction...I just bought an '03 F650GS (sorry, not a Dakar, but y'all seem like a helpful crowd!) and I've bought a BMW top case for it from a fellow inmate. It seems like I'm missing some parts for it to mount properly though and if anyone here has already done this, your input would be greatly appreciated!

This is what I've got to work with...

This mount came with the top case I purchased, but for the life of me I know it doesn't fit in the space above.

I clearly need some of the parts from the retrofit kit below, but not sure which ones.

#2 - Probably.
#7 - Maybe? But what does it mount to on my bike?
And what in the world are the two bars by #8?

Any ideas??

Here's a picture of the bike...wasn't sure about the color scheme at first, but it's growing on me! A whole 'nother issue...Took it out to get muddy Saturday on our fine GA red clay, but it started stalling out on my when I got off the throttle. Took the slab home 40 miles into the ride and every time I'd get close to a stop sign, it'd stall. Read some threads about start up methods, "training" the EFI, etc. but I have no idea what's up. Rode it to work this morning and it seems fine.

PS, if there's a better thread for this, let me know!

I love that paint scheme. Have you got another picture of the rear only from the side and above a bit? Seems like the grab handles are removed. Might do this myself.

Seems like there are 2 different top box setups. This one used the standard plastic mounts on the bike. Always wondered what they were for.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #763
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst
A whole 'nother issue...Took it out to get muddy Saturday on our fine GA red clay, but it started stalling out on my when I got off the throttle. Took the slab home 40 miles into the ride and every time I'd get close to a stop sign, it'd stall. Read some threads about start up methods, "training" the EFI, etc. but I have no idea what's up. Rode it to work this morning and it seems fine.
Those early ones seems to have this problem a lot. From what I understand Iridium plugs tend to help somewhat.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #764
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound
Rad,

Haven't been around here much, really busy taking people fishing. Got the bike dailed in and am loving the setup now that I have a round front wheel. Whatever Richard did inside there works really well for me. I have not fully bottomed the forks yet despite my best efforts. My "beak" does rub my front tire when the Dakar re-establishes contact with the earth - the first time it happened the sound woke me up a little bit.

I really like my TKC 80s. I have the Mefo's and Anakees in the past. The Anakees are not a good tire for me, way too squirelly in gravel and dirt. The mefos were much better but the front I still found to be a little squirelly in gravel. The TKC 80 is by far my favorite, super planted off pavement. Having said that they are not as solid as either of the previous on pavement, but are better than I thought they would be.

I will get the TKC 80 again, or maybe the TKC front/Mefo or similar rear depending on what mileage I get out of these. I really like the front.

Hope you had a good trip out to CO.
The ride in Colorado totally rocked. I love that place.

Thanks for the TKC feed back...just what I was looking for.

Rad
Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #765
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,166
Overheating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatias
If the water is coming out of the burp tank, you might need a new radiator cap. This is a known failure. Replace the cap and make sure the coolant circuit has been properly vented. If your engine overheats you should see the temperature light come on.
Thanks so much. The radiator cap when removed was in two pieces, the top being separate from the guts of the cap. Replaced, re-mixed, re-bled the system and all seems good now.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote