Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #7696
Notnewchevy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I looked at a Sertao at our local dealer's last month... looks and feels same; the label on the rear shock is "Saks" now instead of "Showa" and the body work and instrumentation/windscreen and a few other cosmetic items are different.

Knowing what I now know, I could not ride either bike and feel comfortable and safe with the faulty-design front forks. The first thing I'd do whether buying the new Serao or a Dakar would be to upgrade to a YZ or KTM front end. It's still hard for me to believe that BMW hasn't owned up to this as a safety hazard or that the G'vment hasn't done it for them.

When mine was wrecked the axle lug snapped off the right lower (and I was hit from behind). I knew about the fork failure issue for about a year before and it was always a concern in the back of my mine, but the accident confirmed my worst fears. Since putting the YZ front end on my 2003 Dakar it's a different motorcycle... a good bike is now a great bike!

BTW, my 2003 is still on the stock water pump and seals - never been touched - and the bike will roll over 75,000 miles this month. I hope to get about twice that from this motor and am looking for a "spare" engine to store for when this one finally gives out.

Also, someone asked about clutch/front brake levers... Dennis Kirk has them for $7.95 (clutch) and $6.95 (front brake). I've got these and they are an exact match of the OEM.

Thanks GSBS for the good link to dennis kirk. I have looked on that site for levers before and had no luck. Just ordered them up. Ive wanted to have some spares around but no way was I going to bmw prices.
Notnewchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #7697
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
They may look like OEM, but when i looked at the clutch lever, it didn't have the nub the triggers the starter cut off. I tried to order it through a local (non-BMW) shop and the manager refused to sell it to me citing safety concerns, that i could sue them if i got hurt starting the bike with the clutch in gear. Ok...

I decided to keep the broken-in-half lever and call it a weight saving farkle...
The Parts Unlimited clutch lever is nothing like the OEM clutch lever for the '05 - '07 Dakar. The OEM clutch lever is adjustable, and you pay a premium for that adjust-ability.

I have the cheap replacements on my '06 Dakar. The clutch lever does in fact have the starter cut off "nub". I just tried to start mine in gear, with the clutch out and nada.

Here is a photo of my spares:

The "nub" is plain to see...

If these are not the levers you are talking about, well then, never mind.

rdalland screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 05:54 PM Reason: added model years
rdalland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #7698
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
They may look like OEM, but when i looked at the clutch lever, it didn't have the nub the triggers the starter cut off. I tried to order it through a local (non-BMW) shop and the manager refused to sell it to me citing safety concerns, that i could sue them if i got hurt starting the bike with the clutch in gear. Ok...

I decided to keep the broken-in-half lever and call it a weight saving farkle...
today at work i took my stock leversand took the paint off and polished them up. they look great! i had to wire wheel the paint off then sand all the casting flaws and pits down then polished them.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #7699
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
If they aren't using the new pipe from the G650GS on the Sertao, someone in Bavaria needs to be excommunicated to China...
Water pump repair, if everything besides the pipe is the same, requires draining oil and coolant, pulling the engine cover, and swapping out a $50US set of parts.
No need to drop the oil. Just lean it over onto a wall and it'll be fine. The replacement should only take 20minutes. Putting the cover back on can easily take the same.
tmotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #7700
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
The Parts Unlimited clutch lever is nothing like the OEM clutch lever. The OEM clutch lever is adjustable, and you pay a premium for that adjust-ability.

I have the cheap replacements on my '06 Dakar. The clutch lever does in fact have the starter cut off "nub". I just tried to start mine in gear, with the clutch out and nada.

Here is a photo of my spares:

The "nub" is plain to see...

If these are not the levers you are talking about, well then, never mind.
are the levers off the 06 dakar the same a s the older 02 dakar? i see a listing for the newer ones but not the older dakars.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #7701
tug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Hello,
I bought an 03 last summer. I've been doing a few things to getting it ready for my first major trip. This in fact will be my first cross country trip on a motorcycle. Leaving at the end of April from Houston to California. Can't wait. I'll be staying in Koa mostly but I do hope to camp out at least once. Weather depending. I don't have a tent and really don't want to invest in one at this point. Hoping to do the NM CDT. Anyway some of the things I've done to the Dakar.

Changed chain and sprockets (47/15) Nice change
Sasquatch front and rear suspension upgrades
Eluminators in front shocks
New front and rear rotors and pads. Will change fluid this weekend.
Seat concepts seat
New front tire
Homemade highway bars

Gonna change oil before trip.

Just put a Happy trails tail rack on it. It's the one that lets you keep the OEM bags. I was planning on installing a 2 gallon rotopax gas can on the tail rack. Anyone have any experiance carring about 25 pounds on one of these tail racks.

Anyway any suggestions for trip planning both rider, bike and route would be greatly appeciated.

BTW ran the bike dry last weekend (on purpose) got 230 miles when it died. I wanted to find out my range on full tank.

Tugs
tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #7702
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
are the levers off the 06 dakar the same a s the older 02 dakar? i see a listing for the newer ones but not the older dakars.
The older Dakar clutch lever is not adjustable, I don't know if they are interchangeable.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #7703
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
Fwiw...

The PU levers I bought from DK were an EXACT MATCH for the levers on my 2003 Dakar. I examined them carefully and could find no difference.

Now for newer models I have no idea since I've only had the '03. And the last spares I bought were months ago, so I don't know if they've changed their supplier since, but the ones I got side-by-side, top, bottom, etc. are the same.

I've been using the clutch lever since my OEM original broke in a fall back in 2007. No issues.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #7704
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The PU levers I bought from DK were an EXACT MATCH for the levers on my 2003 Dakar. I examined them carefully and could find no difference.

Now for newer models I have no idea since I've only had the '03. And the last spares I bought were months ago, so I don't know if they've changed their supplier since, but the ones I got side-by-side, top, bottom, etc. are the same.

I've been using the clutch lever since my OEM original broke in a fall back in 2007. No issues.
thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #7705
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

anyone have a extra set of upper battery airbox side panels? i want to go back to stock on my dakar. they can be in rough shape from a crash also. i got a lot of stuff to trade out if interested. let me know what you got. thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #7706
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
The older Dakar clutch lever is not adjustable, I don't know if they are interchangeable.
Bought a second hand adjustable clutch lever today, had to seriously take to it with a file. Now it fits and you use your original bolt.
Brake lever is the same.
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #7707
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

i ordered the parts unlimited levers today total bill 12 bucks for both!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #7708
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by tug View Post
Hello,
I bought an 03 last summer. I've been doing a few things to getting it ready for my first major trip. This in fact will be my first cross country trip on a motorcycle. Leaving at the end of April from Houston to California. Can't wait. I'll be staying in Koa mostly but I do hope to camp out at least once. Weather depending. I don't have a tent and really don't want to invest in one at this point. Hoping to do the NM CDT. Anyway some of the things I've done to the Dakar.

Changed chain and sprockets (47/15) Nice change
Sasquatch front and rear suspension upgrades
Eluminators in front shocks
New front and rear rotors and pads. Will change fluid this weekend.
Seat concepts seat
New front tire
Homemade highway bars

Gonna change oil before trip.

Just put a Happy trails tail rack on it. It's the one that lets you keep the OEM bags. I was planning on installing a 2 gallon rotopax gas can on the tail rack. Anyone have any experiance carring about 25 pounds on one of these tail racks.

Anyway any suggestions for trip planning both rider, bike and route would be greatly appeciated.

BTW ran the bike dry last weekend (on purpose) got 230 miles when it died. I wanted to find out my range on full tank.

Tugs
The rear will carry more than 25lbs, but it will put a strain it.
I'd add lock washers to all the rear frame bolts. Mine vibrated loose and snapped several times before doing this.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #7709
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
Quote:

look different to me

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #7710
mehoww
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Kubiak, any new feelings on this ltz exhaust? Don't you want to make a short video with it?
I just found almost new K7 ltz exhaust for 120 PLN (about 40$). That's how it look like:

mehoww is offline   Reply With Quote