User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #766
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,161
Changing Brake Fluid - ABS

Brake fluid is a bit dark and I would prefer to change it. No issues of leaks etc. There is quite a bit of life on the pads so no real need to change those out yet.

I have read the chain gang's comments about bleeding the system w/ ABS and get the import of changing all the fluid using the Moditec.

Since I don't have any issues is it worth just bleeding/replacing fluid as usual, riding the bike to activate the ABS and exchange some of the fluid and then change again?

Or is there a place to get this tool and still have an arm and leg to ride w/?

Or just wait until the next brake service interval?

Thoughts?
Attached Images

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #767
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Use a mighty vac to bleed the system then ride it actuate the abs then re bleed.

Should be good

JD

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #768
atFault
Logical Positivist

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniele
Use a mighty vac to bleed the system then ride it actuate the abs then re bleed.

Should be good

JD
A friend and mechanic told me the same thing. He figures that less than 10% would remain in the ABS solonoids after bleeding without the Moditec. Bleeding it is likely good enough and then cycle the ABS to mix old and new. Still concerned, bleed it again and you will have 99% of the fluid replaced. Once more and you are at 99.9% swapped out.

Just your time and a bit of extra DOT4 and way cheaper than having the dealer hook it up to their special machine. That's what I'm doing with mine.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #769
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
It's been a while since I installed that piece myself. Seems to me that I had to move at least one small metal bracket out of the way in order to do the install.

I'll look to see if I still have the mounting instructions anywhere...

Does this picture help at all?
Yeah, that picture helps...quick questions --
1. Looking at the picture, is the right side screwed in where the turn signal bracket used to be? That may have been what you moved.
2. So then, is the left side screwed in, not directly across at the other bracket hole, but in the one hole closer to the seat than that?
3. Is the bracket in the back, underneath it, screwed in in front of the existing holes, or behind it? If it's behind it, looks like I'll have to relocate some wires, but that seems to be the answer. Still toying with it.

EDIT: Sweet, that was it. Moved both turn signal brackets, and attached #2 plate behind existing holes in space. Thanks for the help!

tmotten -- you've got a newer model that doesn't need the retrofit kit for the top case. I think it changed in 2004. Thanks for the plug suggestion. That may be the next thing I try b/c I went to grab the SC tag this evening and the surge/stalling began when I was about as far from home as possible!

Catalyst screwed with this post 08-11-2009 at 09:10 PM
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #770
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,865
Brake Rotors for my 03 Dakar with ABS

At 65K miles I'm beginning to think about replacing the stock rotors on my 03 Dakar.

Got some questions for those who may have already been down this road...

1. Anybody done wave-type floating rotors on these?
2. Will this affect the ABS?
3. Can I use the stock calipers/same pads?
4. Brand name recommendation?
5. Supplier?

I think mine might last for another set of pads, but since I'm planning on keeping this bike for 100K miles or more I wanna go ahead and see what options are out there.

Thanks!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #771
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
I don't have answers for you as I'm a little behind you in mileage. I would like to ask what your current rotor thickness is at that mileage.
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
At 65K miles I'm beginning to think about replacing the stock rotors on my 03 Dakar.

Got some questions for those who may have already been down this road...

1. Anybody done wave-type floating rotors on these?
2. Will this affect the ABS?
3. Can I use the stock calipers/same pads?
4. Brand name recommendation?
5. Supplier?

I think mine might last for another set of pads, but since I'm planning on keeping this bike for 100K miles or more I wanna go ahead and see what options are out there.

Thanks!
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #772
pyrate
Walking the plank

Flush a few times....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atFault
A friend and mechanic told me the same thing. He figures that less than 10% would remain in the ABS solonoids after bleeding without the Moditec. Bleeding it is likely good enough and then cycle the ABS to mix old and new. Still concerned, bleed it again and you will have 99% of the fluid replaced. Once more and you are at 99.9% swapped out.

Just your time and a bit of extra DOT4 and way cheaper than having the dealer hook it up to their special machine. That's what I'm doing with mine.

Sort of what I thought but I wanted to check and see. Thanks guys for the input. Probably will flush it a few times and call it good. It would be one thing if there was a compatibility issue w/ the fluid or something.

Thanks again!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #773
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate
Sort of what I thought but I wanted to check and see. Thanks guys for the input. Probably will flush it a few times and call it good. It would be one thing if there was a compatibility issue w/ the fluid or something.

Thanks again!
The other option (one I have not yet gone for, but one day I'll have 300 bucks I don't know what else to do with) is to get the 'GS-911'. That thing will apparently let you open up the ABS circuits, too.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #774
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
The other option (one I have not yet gone for, but one day I'll have 300 bucks I don't know what else to do with) is to get the 'GS-911'. That thing will apparently let you open up the ABS circuits, too.
Really? Anyone tried this? I don't remember seeing this option.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #775
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad
Really? Anyone tried this? I don't remember seeing this option.
Here's a link to the 'function chart': http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs...ion-chart#F650
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #776
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Here's a link to the 'function chart': http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs...ion-chart#F650
JD...always a wealth of usfull information...thats good stuff. Thanks.

Rad
Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #777
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,865
Rotor thickness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
I don't have answers for you as I'm a little behind you in mileage. I would like to ask what your current rotor thickness is at that mileage.
Dan
Approximate measurements:

Front - 4.8 mm
Rear - 4.4 mm
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #778
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Thanks for that link. I guess that's what the "service functionality" means. I didn't see that in the key. Of course, I didn't see the link you sent either.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #779
pyrate
Walking the plank

2003 Dakar logo

Anyone know where you get a larger one of these? I would like to make a sticker out of it. Something roughly 5"x7" minimum. I could enlarge it but the quality is pretty poor.

Thanks,

Old 08-15-2009, 12:36 AM   #780
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad
Thanks for that link. I guess that's what the "service functionality" means. I didn't see that in the key. Of course, I didn't see the link you sent either.
This certainly works. Used it today for that same function. No interface with phone's required either. Plugs straight onto your bike.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote