Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #811
grumpyoldbstrd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Fuel Filter/Regulator for '05 650 Dakar

G'day Guys & Gals,

Has anyone come up with a cheap replacement for the fuel filter/regulator?

The inline fuel filter is obviously the easy part, but what substitute is there for the regulator with a return to the fuel tank?

The OEM "KAYSER" part is ridiculously expensive and, IMO, doesn't need to integrate both functions.

Cheers,

Lloyd
grumpyoldbstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #812
andy50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Not a real Dakar

After 32 years of not riding a bike I took one look at my mates Dakar and wanted one immediately. Went straight to the local dealer only to find out they don't make them anymore so I ended up with a 650gs. We are plannning some trips through the National Parks (of NSW Australia) over the next couple of months and then I plan to dakarise the GS. Any hints or recommendations for mods would be much appreciated.
Andy
andy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #813
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy50
After 32 years of not riding a bike I took one look at my mates Dakar and wanted one immediately. Went straight to the local dealer only to find out they don't make them anymore so I ended up with a 650gs. We are plannning some trips through the National Parks (of NSW Australia) over the next couple of months and then I plan to dakarise the GS. Any hints or recommendations for mods would be much appreciated.
Andy
I'd check out this site for a variety of things that might appeal.

http://faq.f650.com/main.html

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #814
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldbstrd
G'day Guys & Gals,

Has anyone come up with a cheap replacement for the fuel filter/regulator?

The inline fuel filter is obviously the easy part, but what substitute is there for the regulator with a return to the fuel tank?

The OEM "KAYSER" part is ridiculously expensive and, IMO, doesn't need to integrate both functions.

Cheers,

Lloyd
http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/FuelPressureFAQ.htm - any help here?

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #815
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy50
Andy

Well, one option is to do something like this:

That's a 2001 F650GS (with ABS) outfitted with an Ohlins Dakar rear shock and the front suspension from a Yamaha YZ dirt bike. It's a bit of a project, but it makes for a better riding and handling bike all around than a stock or spring/emulator upgraded Dakar.

See the thread 'Yamaha Forks on a BMW F650GS Dakar' for all the details you could ever want and then some. It's been an active project for a year or so I guess, with various contributors of both parts and knowledge. You'll find ideas there for various combinations of parts at a few different price levels.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #816
opus68
On a dark desert highway

Oddometer: 30
Couple of pics from a ride we did last weekend to recon a camping site.

opus68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #817
markhdteck
ADV

Oddometer: 613
Dakar

My DAKAR!!!!!
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...hedakar004.jpg

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...hedakar026.jpg

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...hedakar021.jpg

Waiting for the new centerstand from touratech!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #818
TrainedChimp
Consistently wrong

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhdteck

Very nice. I really like that color scheme, so much better than my Captain America's pajamas paint.
TrainedChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #819
markhdteck
ADV

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainedChimp
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...hedakar004.jpg

Very nice. I really like that color scheme, so much better than my Captain America's pajamas paint.

Thanks TC

markhdteck screwed with this post 09-03-2009 at 08:32 PM
markhdteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #820
grumpyoldbstrd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate
Pyrate,
Thanks for that. I'll now install a compatible upstream filter and leave the OEM Filter/Regulator alone.
Lloyd
grumpyoldbstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 AM   #821
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Anybody had this?

My 03 Dakar ran perfectly for over 63K miles, but now I have a frustratingly intermittent burp that seems to happen randomly about once every 300-600 miles.

I'll be going down the road - usually at speeds of 60-80, but not always - and the engine just dies momentarily then begins pulling again. Whenever this happens the next time I stop the engine will not idle and dies. Or if while still at speed I pull in the clutch, the tach goes down to around 2K RPMs then drops to zero. But if I release the clutch still at speed it'll bump start and run, but only above about 2K or 2,500 RPMs.

After stopping and letting it sit 15-30 seconds, when I restart using the normal "wait for water temp light to go out, press starter button, then hold starter button down 3 seconds" it runs perfectly for another 300-600 miles before doing this again.

I've checked battery connections, side-stand switch, just replaced the fuel filter/pressure regulator (last one was in for over 40K miles BTW), so now I'm wondering if this could be one of the sensors going bad.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Any other things to check?

And yes, I've been to the Chaingang site already, but didn't find any examples of this kind of stall beginning to happen at the high mileage of my bike and with the intermittent (in)frequency as mine.

Thanks!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #822
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
My 03 Dakar ran perfectly for over 63K miles, but now I have a frustratingly intermittent burp that seems to happen randomly about once every 300-600 miles.

I'll be going down the road - usually at speeds of 60-80, but not always - and the engine just dies momentarily then begins pulling again. Whenever this happens the next time I stop the engine will not idle and dies. Or if while still at speed I pull in the clutch, the tach goes down to around 2K RPMs then drops to zero. But if I release the clutch still at speed it'll bump start and run, but only above about 2K or 2,500 RPMs.

After stopping and letting it sit 15-30 seconds, when I restart using the normal "wait for water temp light to go out, press starter button, then hold starter button down 3 seconds" it runs perfectly for another 300-600 miles before doing this again.

I've checked battery connections, side-stand switch, just replaced the fuel filter/pressure regulator (last one was in for over 40K miles BTW), so now I'm wondering if this could be one of the sensors going bad.

And yes, I've been to the Chaingang site already, but didn't find any examples of this kind of stall beginning to happen at the high mileage of my bike and with the intermittent (in)frequency as mine.

Thanks!
This is a low-confidence answer, but check that your clutch adjustment is in spec. If it's dragging a bit it can slow the engine just enough to do this kind of thing.

But I'm not going to give that more than a 25% chance of being it.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:56 AM   #823
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS

Thanks!

GSBS,

FWIW, I did experience those symptoms on my 01 early on. After a bit of research I found that keeping the throttle at "0" full-off during start up seemed to be my issue (Too many years of carbs and not a good understanding of BMW FI system). I didnt even realize I was opening the throttle ever so slightly at start-up, but I was. It seems the FI uses that first instant as a reference and then after you get throught the warm up cycle it acts up. I would leave the house and get on the HWY in just a few moments. I might be on the HWY for a few or for many miles depending on where I was headed but the problem would show up as soon as I got off the HWY or if I was going quite a ways when I backed off the throttle. I would twist the throttle back and forth out of habit and off I went.

It hasent happened in years since I changed my start-up drill.

Rad
Old 09-04-2009, 06:21 AM   #824
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Clutch, throttle position...

Thanks for the replies...

JDLuke: I don't think it's the clutch, but I'll re-check it. Seems it this were the case though it would happen more frequently and under similar conditions... i.e. - at a certain speed or RPM.

JDRadman: Yes, I'm well aware of not giving any throttle on starting (I even make sure the bars are straight so there's not slight tug at the cable at the grip).

I'm planning on going back to the battery connections and tracing down wires for possible bare spots and re-cleaning the connections. Whatever it is, the interruption seems to "confuse" the EFI and requires a restart as described above. As I mentioned, after each incident is seems fine for many miles.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #825
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
GSBS: my first reaction would be fuel filter and a good solid tune up and see if that yields anything.

clean out the gas tank, ect ect..

in a fuel injected engine these the next thing I would suspect is ECM or sensors.. usually sensors before the brain.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote