Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #8281
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissanceman View Post
Don't know why these things don't come stock with the lower gearing, but then I like running at higher rpm's than others do.
I used to run the 15/47 combination, switched to a 16/49 when I replaced the rear sprog (can't tell the difference between the two). Now I can run a 15/49 on technical stuff, which is a little too low for my day to day riding.
Either way, you'll never go back to stock.
What it's really missing is a 6th gear for highway droning like the bigger BMWs have. You know a gear that's useless anywhere else than when sitting at highway speeds

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !

Gravel Seeker screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 02:32 AM
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #8282
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hesch View Post
It's just disconcerting to let out the clutch from a stop and be going 15 mph before hitting 3,000 rpm!
Yeah. stock I'm having a real problem riding slow stuff.
When buddy's are 1st gear I'm alternating between 1st and pulling the clutch in. When they're in 2nd I'm going back and forth between 1st and 2nd. And there's no power to pop the front wheel over rock and pot holes. Have a 13/49 set my friends gave me for my birthday a few years ago mostly as a gag, but that combo really shows the potential of the bike. Also helps with a bit less saggy rear shock when trying to throw the bike around so it just doesn't sit down on you when you hi tthe throttle.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #8283
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
That could be interesting with a new style front fender like from a Husky or KTM.
Yeah, thinking of going with the same KTM 950 SM fender that Kubiak has on. That headlight is a bit odd though, it has the halo ring that the new BMW bikes has (and all the cars). Then it has a bi-xenon projector (both hi and low) as the main lighting. The turn signals are regular bulbs so I'll have to either fit LED bulbs or try to disect them and incorporate the LED turnsignals I'm already running.

The real mind tickler though is the largest glass/ lamp which has a 25w bulb. Seller can't answer me if the refelctor can take larger (hotter) bulbs or not and he can't answer what the purpose of that lamp is either. It's not like it's the parking light since it's 25w, but I might put a 10w in there since parking light is mandatory over here. Don't know if the halo is considered a parking light or a Daytime running LED whcih is mandatory for at least all new cars sold in the EU or EEC.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #8284
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Hey, I just brought home a 2002 Dakar, which was living in a lonely old barn and now it has a loving home.

I like this thing quite a bit so far. Has a low seat, and 1" Kouba links, and forks slid up in the clamps. Rode it around some, love the engine and the low center of gravity, and the feel of sitting "in" it more than how I sit "on" my DR650.

Anyway I'm cleaning it up and learning what makes these things tick. Can anyone tell me what this plug is? Nothing has been plugged into it and the previous owner used it to hook the hot lead of his battery charger to it.

Alaram ?

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #8285
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Hey, I just brought home a 2002 Dakar, which was living in a lonely old barn and now it has a loving home.

I like this thing quite a bit so far. Has a low seat, and 1" Kouba links, and forks slid up in the clamps. Rode it around some, love the engine and the low center of gravity, and the feel of sitting "in" it more than how I sit "on" my DR650.

Anyway I'm cleaning it up and learning what makes these things tick. Can anyone tell me what this plug is? Nothing has been plugged into it and the previous owner used it to hook the hot lead of his battery charger to it.

The added protection looks a bit agricultural, but looks like it did its job. Nice
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #8286
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
The added protection looks a bit agricultural, but looks like it did its job. Nice
Yeah I could take that thing off at camp, throw it over the fire and grill steaks on it

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #8287
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
LOL, that's a good one. Maybe the connector is for the electric PTO to run the disc/plow?

Nice bike, nice find!
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #8288
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Cry Chip/broken front sprocket cover mounting point

Need some metalurgy advice..
The top mounting point of my front sprocket cover chip/broke.
What are my options?
Can quick steel work?
I cannot get JB weld here in singapore.
Can the case be alu welded without splitting the case?
Pls help..
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #8289
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
If you're just talking about the mount for the plastic cover, I'd just epoxy it back on (qwik steel, jb kwik, etc). Make sure you clean up the fracture before you put it back together. Get in there with a tooth brush and some good cleaner that wont leave a residue.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #8290
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh View Post
If you're just talking about the mount for the plastic cover, I'd just epoxy it back on (qwik steel, jb kwik, etc). Make sure you clean up the fracture before you put it back together. Get in there with a tooth brush and some good cleaner that wont leave a residue.
Thank you. Will repair it asap.
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #8291
Dragon M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
New to my '02

Hey all...about a month and a half ago I picked up an '02 Dakar (42k miles, ohlin rear, stock bags, etc...) I've put ~1,500 miles on it now and am LOVING the bike. Do have a couple little things I'm working out I thought you guys might have a good recommendation on:

1) The horn switch & high-beam flasher both don't work. I tested the horn switch (on the bars) today and with the multimeter can see it open/close, can't test the high beam flasher in the same way as I can't get in there, but everything else on that control works (turn signals, high beam on/off) so I'm wondering if those two are wired together into the same "multi-function" switch in the box? Wondering if anyone knows.

2) on the far right hand side of the dash (off in that empty space) there's a LED there that's normally green with the bike on and running, but seems to be red when the ignition switch is on, but the bike is off, is that an alternator LED or something?

3) Sometimes (not all the time, but SOMEtimes) when I turn the ignition on the bike, the gauge cluster doesn't light up, no tach, no headlight, nothing. If I turn it off and back on enough after this it'll work normally, but it's just often enough to make me a little concerned with some of the long trips I plan to take. Would hate for an "occasional problem" to turn into a BIG problem. It doesn't seem to be related to the side-stand (can happen with SS up or down), but I'm wondering if maybe replacing the SS switch might be the 1st place to start? Figured maybe someone here had had the same issue, and might be able to give me a heads up.

TIA
Dragon M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #8292
Dragon M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50

Finally getting around to posting the pic of my new bike...now that I'm asking for help with it LOL. That's it at the top of Soledad Mountain in San Diego on one of our RARE sunny days.
Dragon M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #8293
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 365
Fumoto quick valve

Installed a Fumoto Quick valve on my Dakar yesterday. Pretty easy to do as it was time for an oil change anyway.
Some things to note, the valve comes with a fibre crush washer, after installation my valve was weeping from one side. I believe it was due to the fibre washer being just slightly bigger than the recess where the old bolt and copper washer used to go.
So, I took the empty oil containers that I had just used to fill the bike and used the Fumoto to drain back into them...pretty slick!
I then took the valve out and replaced the fibre crush washer with an OEM copper one, I also put a bit of permatex thread sealer on the threads. Snugged the Fumoto back up, put my oil back in and went for a test ride...no more leaks.
I was real careful not to over tighten when I put the valve back in with the copper crush washer, I went maybe an 1/8 of a turn past contact and that is as far as it really wanted to go...I didn't use much force as I was paranoid about stripping threads.

Here are some photos
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X ST1300
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #8294
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
I think I did get a good deal. It belonged to a good friend who went through a divorce. She bought a house which needed some updating. Not having lots of cash, she offered the BMW to me if I did a bunch of remodel work for her. It took me a couple of months of evenings and weekends, just about finished now. She is very happy and I'm happy too so I guess that's a good deal. I'm glad I could help her out and her new bathrooms and laundry room look very good. Built a mud set walk in shower which was an ass whipping but turned out cool.
thats the best kind of deal!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #8295
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
has anyone had any luck with any particular windscreen for taller riders? im looking for something that will direct wind over me, and also will cut back on buffeting. (i have slight neck issues so it hurts me.) i have the cee bailys and a lip, but thats not enough...

Also looking for a steering stabalizer if anyone has one... Thanks!
I'm not really tall but I have the Madstad system and windshield on mine, Very good protection and it is adjustable.

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X ST1300
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote