Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #8356
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
Should have gotten the masterclip chain. Easier to install. Worst case if it is worn and slack too much on a long trip you can cut 1 or two links till you can get a replacement. There are cases of the masterlink comes off and such. But if the mx guys can beat the crap out of it in tracks and enduros, should be good.
Ride safe..

I had to do an emergency chain/rear sprocket replacement in my parents' garage in Florida last month. Chain started dying on the way there, and was truly toast by the time I arrived. I was able to get a chain at a local bike shop in Fort Myers, and Touratech overnighted a sprocket to me. Took about an hour to change both parts, with the tools my stepdad had in the garage, and the ones in the toolkit on the bike.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #8357
dgomezhall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust, and I've found a lot of 2-spark exhausts, but from everything I've read, they won't fit my '01 header pipe. I have some questions:

1. Can you replace the single spark header pipe with a twin spark?

2. Some people have had an exhaust shop expand their stock pipe, I'm open to this, but am worried I won't be able to go back to stock if I decide to at a later date. Can you shrink a pipe after you've expanded it?

3. Is there some sort of adapter I can get to fit?

4. Does anyone have a spare header pipe they'd be willing to part with that I can experiment with?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I've learned so much reading through this thread!
dgomezhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #8358
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
Here my input
Should have gotten the masterclip chain. Easier to install. Worst case if it is worn and slack too much on a long trip you can cut 1 or two links till you can get a replacement. There are cases of the masterlink comes off and such. But if the mx guys can beat the crap out of it in tracks and enduros, should be good.
Ride safe..
I got a good deal on the chain. I think finding a masterlink and cutting it open would be almost as much hassle as taking the swingarm off, and this is a good excuse to inspect a part of my cycle i know almost nothing about. After bottoming out pretty hard last summer i figure the shock mounts could use a looksee and i'd like to see how the bearings are doing...
Old 06-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #8359
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
There's no charging indicator on the F650GS or Dakar - or at least, not as stock.

The lamp in question is oil pressure only.
I've laways thought the oil pressure light warning light would also light up when the alternator is not charging, making it a combo warning light. Not sure where I heard that. I know all the bulbs are originally the same wattage, but I only had to install a resistor to the oil pressure one when I converted to LEDs.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #8360
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
You don't need to remove all that for the chain and sprockets. Just the rear wheel.
Need the 24mm if you wanna remove the CS sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Dealer told me the same thing about my Dakar. To replace the stock chain you have to remove the swingarm. Unnecessary if youre going to be using a chain with a masterlink.
Becuase the stock chain is riveted/ continuous, I've never bought a chain from BMW and they always just come with masterlinks

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 06-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #8361
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Need the 24mm if you wanna remove the CS sprocket

Becuase the stock chain is riveted/ continuous, I've never bought a chain from BMW and they always just come with masterlinks
Same here. My bike came with stock BMW chain on it. When this one goes Im gonna be putting on clip masterlink chain.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #8362
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Same here. My bike came with stock BMW chain on it. When this one goes Im gonna be putting on clip masterlink chain.
Yeah. I always press the plate back against the clip after installation just so it's that much harder for it to come loose and fall off. I did lose one in Australia once and I have no idea how long I rode without it, but the chain stayed put (always carry a couple of spare clips).

Important: (addressed to general you) install the clip with the opening facing towards the front so that the opening is not in the direction of travel (assuming everyone installs their chains like me; hooking it over both sprockets and connecting in nearest the ground)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 06-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #8363
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Yeah. I always press the plate back against the clip after installation just so it's that much harder for it to come loose and fall off. I did lose one in Australia once and I have no idea how long I rode without it, but the chain stayed put (always carry a couple of spare clips).

Important: (addressed to general you) install the clip with the opening facing towards the front so that the opening is not in the direction of travel (assuming everyone installs their chains like me; hooking it over both sprockets and connecting in nearest the ground)
I do the same thing. Only lost the clip once on my KLR, but never lost the chain.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #8364
motogazonaktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Wiring diagram f650 twin spark 2007

Hi all

I am looking for a wiring diagram for the f650 twin spark.
Looking at a bike for a friend and cannot locate the wiring diagrams , it's driving me mad.
The bike has no blinkers or hazards.
Any help would be appreciated.
G
motogazonaktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #8365
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Dealer told me the same thing about my Dakar. To replace the stock chain you have to remove the swingarm. Unnecessary if youre going to be using a chain with a masterlink.
You need to find a new dealer, because that guy sounds like a clown. I only use riveted chains and have a Terra x chain tool with me. I use a motion pro jumbo one in the garage. Shouldn't take more then 20mins.

Definately lube the swing arm and linkage bearing though. They are always under lubed, and the seals are rubbish.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #8366
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You need to find a new dealer, because that guy sounds like a clown. I only use riveted chains and have a Terra x chain tool with me. I use a motion pro jumbo one in the garage. Shouldn't take more then 20mins.

Definately lube the swing arm and linkage bearing though. They are always under lubed, and the seals are rubbish.
Ive been told by several people and dealers that thats the stock BMW chain. It comes in a continuous loop, no masterlink at all. Personally I always use clip style masterlinks so I dont really care about the BMW chain. When mine goes bad Im gonna cut it off with a grinder and put a clip style on it.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #8367
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
I'd be interested to know what brand they use then. I've only used DID and RK chains and have never seen already riveted chains, but given BMWs engineering track record I shouldn't be surprised.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #8368
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
I don't know if they've changed it recently, but the chain gang FAQ says the stock chain is a DID 'O' ring rated for 400cc bikes. I've not heard much about chains being ripped apart by the torque of the Rotax thumper, but it does sound like O rings offer more friction and wear out sooner than Xs, so it's an item worth upgrading on...
Old 06-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #8369
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what brand they use then. I've only used DID and RK chains and have never seen already riveted chains, but given BMWs engineering track record I shouldn't be surprised.
Dont know who makes it, but the one on my bike says BMW on the links. My chain has what looks like a riveted masterlink, but from what the dealer said they come out of the box already in a loop.

Ive always used RK before and havent seen them already riveted either. Probably going to use RK for my next chain also. The whole idea of having to remove the swingarm to install a chain is kind of asinine if you ask me. Guess it could be a useful time to lube the suspension but cant think of any other reason to do it that way.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #8370
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,232
I've seen a clip-style let go on an RMX250 traveling on the highway. I'll stick with rivet masterlinks...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote