Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #826
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk7
in a fuel injected engine these the next thing I would suspect is ECM or sensors.. usually sensors before the brain.
I'd take a good hard look at the throttle position sensor, and the connections to it. Since there's no airflow sensor or manifold pressure sensor, that and engine RPM are the "primary" inputs to the FI system.

It might be worth having the dealer or someone else with the correct computer interface pull any codes out of the FI system.
tomatoe333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #827
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
JDLuke: I don't think it's the clutch, but I'll re-check it. Seems it this were the case though it would happen more frequently and under similar conditions... i.e. - at a certain speed or RPM.
I'm not saying I really think it's the clutch, which is kind of why I added that disclaimer. It's a hypothesis I've heard in the past, some have claimed that a small adjustment helped them out. Observer error? Quite possible indeed.

Frankly, these bikes are odd. They are very mechanically reliable, but the EFI system occasionally gets into a funky state. Even a change in prevailing weather can do it, since it's a 'learning' system that sometimes doesn't learn fast enough for 40 degree day-to-day swings.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #828
TrainedChimp
Consistently wrong

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk7
GSBS: my first reaction would be fuel filter ... [More sniped]
That is my first reaction too and where I'd start, but I really don't know.
TrainedChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #829
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainedChimp
That is my first reaction too and where I'd start, but I really don't know.
Thing is, I just changed the filter/regulator (less than 500 miles ago). Symptoms are unchanged. This has happened like four times over 3,000+ miles.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #830
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,161
Fuel tank level about the same?

Quote:
Thing is, I just changed the filter/regulator (less than 500 miles ago). Symptoms are unchanged. This has happened like four times over 3,000+ miles.
Any idea if the level in your fuel tank is about the same each time? Roughly the same number of miles on the tank therefore at the same level?

Vent hose to charcoal canister (if you still have one) unblocked?

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #831
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate
Any idea if the level in your fuel tank is about the same each time? Roughly the same number of miles on the tank therefore at the same level?

Vent hose to charcoal canister (if you still have one) unblocked?
Haven't checked the canister hose, but will. Thanks!

The fuel level has ranged from once just after fill up, to around half full, to just before the low fuel light came on, so I don't think that is a factor.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #832
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
Haven't checked the canister hose, but will. Thanks!

The fuel level has ranged from once just after fill up, to around half full, to just before the low fuel light came on, so I don't think that is a factor.
Mine was completely gummed over and when it got to certain levels it would struggle to get fuel. I replaced the hose and it runs much better.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #833
GSBS
FunHog

which hose?

Quote:
Mine was completely gummed over and when it got to certain levels it would struggle to get fuel. I replaced the hose and it runs much better.
No. 4 or No. 5 on the image below?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #834
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
No. 4 or No. 5 on the image below?

#5 was the worst, #4 I replaced just to keep from having to wonder....

Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #835
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
I am wondering if it could be the spark plug or coil. I am not sure how it could be tested.. how old is the plug and which plug are you running?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #836
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldbstrd
Pyrate,
Thanks for that. I'll now install a compatible upstream filter and leave the OEM Filter/Regulator alone.
Lloyd
http://www.f650.com/phpBB3/viewtopic...460&highlight=
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #837
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
#5 was the worst, #4 I replaced just to keep from having to wonder....
It doesn't make sence to be clogged hoses if it happens at the same RPM at random moments.

Sounds electronic to me. I take it you've rebooted the computer properly and you have a fresh battery? Just the fact that it measures 12v doesn't mean it's good. And is it a maintenance free one?

BTW, what RPM's are you getting that this occurs? Speed is not an accurate indicator.

FWIW, my 07 model started surging, something normally associated to the older models. I had just replaced the battery (AGM one) without result. Turned out the sparkplugs were sufficiently fault and/or the caps were very dirty. Sprayed some electric cleaner into it. Brushed it out, and replaced with iridium plug and it running fine now. The plugs looked fine, but they had 20000km on them, so why not replace.

It's a performance motor with one of the first FI systems used on dualsport bikes, so good conductivity is key. Any dirty contact points and it can struggle. Electric current does not neccesarily flow uniform through the rev ranges either from what I understand. I guess I'm saying, have a looky though all you ignition connections and go around them with the spray bottle. I know it's a lot of disembly to get to most off them, but no worse than doing the valves.

tmotten screwed with this post 09-04-2009 at 04:26 PM
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:00 AM   #838
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy50
After 32 years of not riding a bike I took one look at my mates Dakar and wanted one immediately. Went straight to the local dealer only to find out they don't make them anymore so I ended up with a 650gs. We are plannning some trips through the National Parks (of NSW Australia) over the next couple of months and then I plan to dakarise the GS. Any hints or recommendations for mods would be much appreciated.
Andy
I`ve been thinking of selling my Dakar forks & shock if you are interested .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #839
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
have 2nd hand or used large tanks such as one from touratech ever come up for sale?

dont really want spend huge volumes of cash on a new TT part.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #840
JediMaster
Adam Lewis

Oddometer: 333
ShortWayRound

Hi All,

I've posted this in the Ride Reports forum but because I'm riding a F650 I figured you guys would find it of interest.

Well now that I've finally cobbled together a website that Im reasonably happy with, I thought I'd share my adventure with you.

The basic outline is this... I left England in March 2006 with my mate Danny Burroughs and we rode a pair of BWW F650's to New Zealand. After a season of snowboarding Danny opted to stay in NZ but I continued. I left him there in October 2007 and rode on through Oz, E.Timor, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singpore from where I shipped into South America. I'm now in Bolivia.

My website http://shortwayround.co.uk contains 19 chapters, 1000+ photos and a few pages about bike prep and maintenance. Or you can skip straight to the photos at http://shortwayround.smugmug.com where photos are arranged in galleries by country.

Cheers

Adam Lewis

JediMaster screwed with this post 09-06-2009 at 05:20 PM Reason: More suitable title
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote