Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #8521
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Bah.... still have an ODO right ?!

In Oz I used 350km "safe range" on a tank. Knew I had a bit to go on still, but we had some bad gas a few places up north and down the west coast so milage dropped (the other carb'd bikes had to drain water from their carbs daily). Back here where the fuel is fuel and not water I consistantly get 25km/ ltr so 435,5km from 17,3 ltrs, but I usually try to get it refuelled at around 380kms (this is commuting on highway with T63 knobbies at 103 km/h or 88km/h average to and fro work every).

Btw, both my TT IMO copmuter and my Garmin Zumo660 has fuel odometres so that helps
This ended up being of the category of fucking around without looking. Out of the six lights five are a switched ground. Meaning that you need to wire the ground wire of the light to the corresponding wire on the harnessing the red to a power source. Oops.

Now the abs still. May end up being a good reason to get rid of it all together.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #8522
meister
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post
Looking for a good deal on a Dakar with low mileage, but the prices are very high even after the new G650 was released.
Do you think i should try to get a 2004+ (for even higher prices) cause of the changes made then or are they not worth the money? Looking at the models from that years i could pay 1.000-1.500 more and get a used G650 already.
Would you advice to get a 2004+ with high mileage or a -2003 with low mileage for the same price?
anyone got a good answer to that question? :)
meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #8523
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post
anyone got a good answer to that question? :)
The '04 has the upgraded forks that don't suddenly fail if that matters...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #8524
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
hi, the headlight is a polisport halo with the h4 halogen bulb. i got it off ebay. on the front wheel i rode supermoto for over 10 years and love the 17s but i still go offroad too so i thought i would try a smaller front knobby for both on and offroad i like the 19 inch idea but i wanted to run a 18 since there are more combos and cheaper prices than the 19. i ran a 17 front with dualsport tires and liked it too so now the 18s are getting a try. i have a rear wheel build im waiting for parts to arrive soon but dont want to say what it is till i get it built. its why i went with the 18 inch front too.
Is it really just halogen ? Looks so white and bright - thought it was HID

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #8525
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dabalina View Post
Just got a stock '05 Dakar with 10k miles on it. What are the first five things you would do to it? Tires are newer Tourance metzlers.
100% dependent on how you are going to use it.

If it's never going off the asphalt you just need some better wind protection and perhaps a sheep skin to prolong the comfortable saddle time range.

If you want to bring along some luggage you may wan't to look into rebuilding the rear rack. Either buy something or make it yourself like alot of us have done.

If you like to ride gravel I'd do the following
  • Bar risers
  • Footpeg relocation
  • Progressive springs in the forks
    .......Alternatively upgrade to Yamaha YZ motocross forks
    ...........Would also require a new rear shock to compensate for longer travel and better damping
  • Michelin T63 tires
  • 16 tooth front sprocket
  • and the list goes on and on and on and on and on...............

Just ride the shit out of it for a while and you'll figure out for yourself what it needs

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #8526
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Is it really just halogen ? Looks so white and bright - thought it was HID
yea its a 35 watt h4 halogen bulb. i tried a 55-60 watt h4 bulb but the plastic lens got really hot so i put the stock 35 watt back in.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #8527
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koponen View Post
Hi guys. I am brand new (and proud) -01 Dakar owner. Also first post at this forum.

I have question about progressive fork springs. Planning to buy, but dont know which ones. HyperPros or Wirth from Touratech, or something else?

Tell me something about these springs, and help me choose.

My new love
With your name and that garden view you have to be another Finnish rider? I am in Helsinki, if you are in fact in Finland lets take a ride...

Touratech sells ones made by wirth. They have been great on my bike but the problem these days is that all tt parts crime from Sweden so the prices are higher than in the days when you could order from Germany direct. Otherwise the wirth ones are really nice.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #8528
Ed Teach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koponen View Post
Hi guys. I am brand new (and proud) -01 Dakar owner. Also first post at this forum.

I have question about progressive fork springs. Planning to buy, but dont know which ones. HyperPros or Wirth from Touratech, or something else?

Tell me something about these springs, and help me choose.

My new love
When I bought my Dakar it had the Wirht's from TT. I discovered it when I openend the fork legs to mount the Hyperpro's.
IMHO Hyperpro's are a way better the Wirth's
Ed Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #8529
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,830
My 2

IMO, fork springs or anything else done to the forks on these bikes is like putting a band-aid on a broken leg. The old-style (pre-2004), and maybe the newer too, forks have been known to fail and by fail I mean your front wheel breaks off at the axle. This happened to me during an accident as the bike was going through woods after I was thrown off, but I wouldn't trust the Showa forks now at all.

The YZ or WP conversion is relatively easy and makes these bikes into a really great ride. Now my bike handles a thousand times better and I don't worry that the front wheel could break off at any moment! YRMV.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #8530
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Teach View Post
When I bought my Dakar it had the Wirht's from TT. I discovered it when I openend the fork legs to mount the Hyperpro's.
IMHO Hyperpro's are a way better the Wirth's
Im moving to the YZ conversion as well but I have both the Hyperpro's in my 01 Dakar and the Wirths in my GF's 02 GS/Dakar conversion. I can't really tell the difference in either. It's a move in the right direction initially, but I think you'll find in time that you still want more from the suspension. Maybe or maybe not a bandaid, but they are very cheap even just to try. I would though start stocking up parts for a conversion if getting more off road or heavier loads is in your future. Beautiful bike BTW! I took my Captain America and made him Batman (All BLack!).
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #8531
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 308
Rear ABS/Speedo sensor.

The Rear ABS/Speedo sensor on my '06 Dakar has gone wonky. Anyone have one on their shelf that they want to part with? Otherwise I'll buy a new one.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #8532
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The '04 has the upgraded forks that don't suddenly fail if that matters...
There was recently a failure on a 2010 fork so I aml not sure that would be 100% true, plus the Dakar would benefit from a suspension refresh using a Yamaha USD fork!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #8533
GSBS
FunHog

You prolly already checked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
The Rear ABS/Speedo sensor on my '06 Dakar has gone wonky. Anyone have one on their shelf that they want to part with? Otherwise I'll buy a new one.
...but if not be sure to check the alignment of the sensor and clean it well before springing for a new one. Also, check the wiring at the terminus of the ABS module, where it plugs in. The overflow tube for the battery is near there and battery acid has been known to create havoc with the wires underneath. If you haven't already, be sure to buy a sealed battery.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #8534
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
...but if not be sure to check the alignment of the sensor and clean it well before springing for a new one. Also, check the wiring at the terminus of the ABS module, where it plugs in. The overflow tube for the battery is near there and battery acid has been known to create havoc with the wires underneath. If you haven't already, be sure to buy a sealed battery.

Good luck!
The sensor gets a lot of my attention at the rear wheel (cleaning and adj. check). I will check the connection at the module as you suggest. The ABS light has been coming on (and the speedo cutting out) starting about 6k miles ago. Mostly in the rain, or when it gets wet. I have 32k miles on the bike.

Is there a sealed battery that is a "drop in" fit for an '06 Dakar? Or am I looking at making something fit/work?

Thanks GSBS!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #8535
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
The sensor gets a lot of my attention at the rear wheel (cleaning and adj. check). I will check the connection at the module as you suggest. The ABS light has been coming on (and the speedo cutting out) starting about 6k miles ago. Mostly in the rain, or when it gets wet. I have 32k miles on the bike.

Is there a sealed battery that is a "drop in" fit for an '06 Dakar? Or am I looking at making something fit/work?

Thanks GSBS!
I've been using the Scorpion battery for several years, fits perfect and hasn't given any problems. I bought here.