Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #9031
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,810

i had to weld a bracket to the swingarm for the guide. the yz guide is solid and only 24 bucks to replace the inner plastic guide.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #9032
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post

i added a chain guide to the dakar this week, i dont know why they dont come with one stock, i used a 03 to 08 yamaha yz125 oem one so replacement plastic guide would be cheap to replace.
I like it. Gonna have to pick one up and have a buddy do the welding for me.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #9033
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I was riding in the rain today and my speedo started doing goofy things. It would jump up and down, then drop to zero, back up to whatever speed I was doing. drop down again, etc, etc.

I seem to remember reading something about this. Somehting along the lines of a connector getting wet and losing contact....but I cant remember now.

Does anyone have a link or a fix for this?? Thanks.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #9034
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
I like it. Gonna have to pick one up and have a buddy do the welding for me.
i see a lot of them on ebay for pretty cheap. seems like a lot of the newer bikes chain guides look almost alike.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #9035
DakarGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Noob Dakar Rider

Hi,
Just joined the forum after getting a new-to-me 2007 Dakar 3 weeks ago. The bike has 2600 miles and is in very good condition.
I live on the far western edge of Chicagoland. Being in the midwest, there is not much available in terms of 'adventure riding' but I hope to get out west before too long. Been out of riding for several years. My last ride was a 1983 Kawasaki GPZ750.
I'm originally from South Africa, but living in the US for 11 years now. I'm a full time IT project manager, part time commercial pilot and flight instructor. I ride, and I jump out of planes for fun.

The bike is totally standard...no mods. Pic below.
I'll be needing new tires before long. I'm looking at Michelin Anakees since I will be doing mostly surfaced road, decent gravel/sand, and some not very hard core off-road for the immediate future. I'm going to be kitting the bike out with paniers to pack all the camping gear.
I'll also be needing a powerlet-to-cigarette adapter for a cell phone charger, as well as the cell phone mount. Either that or just get a dual cigarette type charger that connects directly to the battery, for mounting on the handlebars.

After browsing this thread, I see there are a bunch of people here who know a hell of a lot more about bikes than I do. Any advice on paniers, tires, power supplies, etc would be appreciated.

I would also be interested in meeting up for rides and other events with others nearby. I will have plenty of questions later, but for now this post is just an intro.

DakarGuy screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 06:41 AM
DakarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #9036
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,942
Nice bike, and low miles...... Let the farkling begin!

There are hundreds of choices on luggage. I would also recommend a tankbag for the stuff you use a lot- cellphone, garage door opener, water bottle, and so on. Decide how much camping gear you need to carry and whether you want hard or soft luggage. Check out wolfmanluggage.com. And Touratech, lots of good $tuff but ex$pen$ive.
Might also want to wander over to f650.com for a ton of how-tos and FAQs.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #9037
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
Great looking bike. If you do get the need for some adv riding, you're not far from the TWAT
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #9038
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
[IMG]i added a chain guide to the dakar this week, i dont know why they dont come with one stock, i used a 03 to 08 yamaha yz125 oem one so replacement plastic guide would be cheap to replace.
That's neat - great job

I have the TT one fitted which actually uses a KTM plastic guard - The KTM logo and part number is embossed on it, so TT only actually make the bracket. Anyway I digress, How do you adjust the chain?

Without the chain guide its 40 to 50 mm of sag (Dakar) on the chain, easy to set, but with the chain guide It doesn't allow that range of movement. Its a pain to remove the guide so how do you set the chain tension correctly?
Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #9039
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarGuy View Post
After browsing this thread, I see there are a bunch of people here who know a hell of a lot more about bikes than I do. Any advice on paniers, tires, power supplies, etc would be appreciated.
For a tankbag, I run a Wolfman Enduro that I originally bought for another bike. It fits great on the Dakar, and works well, if a little small. Big enough for a spare pair of gloves and my cellphone at least.

I connected up a fused Battery Tender pigtail to the battery, and routed the SAE connector end out from under the faux tank, just behind the upper triple on the right side. When the bike is in the garage that gets plugged into the battery tender. When I'm riding, I have an SAE to cigarette lighter adapter that comes out of the tank bag, and gets plugged in there. Into that is plugged the USB charging adapter for my cellphone. I use a powerlet on the left side of the bike to run my heated jacket in the winter.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #9040
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnman View Post
That's neat - great job

I have the TT one fitted which actually uses a KTM plastic guard - The KTM logo and part number is embossed on it, so TT only actually make the bracket. Anyway I digress, How do you adjust the chain?

Without the chain guide its 40 to 50 mm of sag (Dakar) on the chain, easy to set, but with the chain guide It doesn't allow that range of movement. Its a pain to remove the guide so how do you set the chain tension correctly?
hi, yea i was wondering about adjusting the chain too, what i did was do the normal check by pushing up on the bottom of the chain so it barely touches the end of the chain slider bottom, the one in front of the swingarm. im going to compress the suspension till the swingarm is straight across so its at its longest and see if i need to loosen the chain slack more. i think it will need it. then remark my spot on the slider.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #9041
DakarGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
I connected up a fused Battery Tender pigtail to the battery, and routed the SAE connector end out from under the faux tank, just behind the upper triple on the right side. When the bike is in the garage that gets plugged into the battery tender. When I'm riding, I have an SAE to cigarette lighter adapter that comes out of the tank bag, and gets plugged in there. Into that is plugged the USB charging adapter for my cellphone.
Something like this? http://burnsmoto.com/sae-battery-lead.php

Thanks for the info guys.

TWAT looks awesome. I'll definitely do that before long.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #9042
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarGuy View Post
Exactly like that.

And one of these in the tank bag:
http://burnsmoto.com/sae-to-cigarette-socket.php
Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #9043
DakarGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool. Thanks. I'm gonna get one of those.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #9044
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
hi, yea i was wondering about adjusting the chain too, what i did was do the normal check by pushing up on the bottom of the chain so it barely touches the end of the chain slider bottom, the one in front of the swingarm. im going to compress the suspension till the swingarm is straight across so its at its longest and see if i need to loosen the chain slack more. i think it will need it. then remark my spot on the slider.
i atually fiddled with the chain guide this morning and adjusted it so when the chain is tight it doesnt touch the guide but when you let the chain hang it lays on the guide so i think im ok with adjusting the tension how i did before.whew! one thing off my check list!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #9045
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
i atually fiddled with the chain guide this morning and adjusted it so when the chain is tight it doesnt touch the guide but when you let the chain hang it lays on the guide so i think im ok with adjusting the tension how i did before.whew! one thing off my check list!
FWIW... I've always had the best luck with adjusting chains on bikes by setting so it's loose enough to have a little slack when someone sits on the bike and bottoms out the suspension (to its tightest point). Better a little loose than too tight IMO. Of course this requires two people to do, but that's usually not a problem. YRMV.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote