Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #9196
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
That is very sad reading, and thoughts go to the rider and his family.

One of the things I like about the Dakar is its multi use, not the best at anything but can do most things. So when doing something like the rally training course you can be aggressive and fast in a safe, controlled environment accepting that all motor sport carries its own risks, but when out touring I wouldn't dream of riding like that. In fact, I think this quote from somewhere sums it up nicely "If you're riding fast, you aren't seeing much. If you aren't seeing much, you're riding too fast."

Part of the reason I did the training, was to increase my own comfort window, so that I can enjoy the ride more, not so that I drive at the limit for the ride, if that makes sense

anyhow, just some of my thoughts
Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #9197
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
After reading this I don't think I'll be getting too aggressive on gravel.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825368
I don't think the problem here is gravel, accidents happen on any surface. The guy (may he rest in peace, btw), quote "rode in China, Europe, Africa, North and South America"... and I'll bet a lot of that was loose or low grip surfaces. What I take away from his story is that even an experienced rider can be distracted or have a moment of lapse, and that can be fatal.
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #9198
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Sad. That is a very sobering post. As someone else has stated, experience doesn't make you safe. It makes you wiser, which in turn makes it more safe, but motor sports will always have risk. I want to be a better rider. I just think if you keep it in first you will limit your potential ability.
Mr.Dabalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #9199
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dabalina View Post
Sad. That is a very sobering post. As someone else has stated, experience doesn't make you safe. It makes you wiser, which in turn makes it more safe, but motor sports will always have risk. I want to be a better rider. I just think if you keep it in first you will limit your potential ability.

This.

And remember, start slow and always push yourself a little more until you reach the point where you do not feel comfortable anymore. If you do reach this point just stop, thats exactly as fast as you should go.

Sure these bikes CAN go damn fast, but as Barnman said "its the rider and not the bike that's the limiting factor".
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #9200
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
"its the rider and not the bike that's the limiting factor".
Exactly. I just want to narrow the gap a little.
Mr.Dabalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #9201
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Baja Designs La Paz Single 8"

Broke my entire headlight assembly off and always wanted to do this, so chopped away. Have the Touratech /WP suspension upgrade, and the steering lock /ignition key had to move. What to do?

So I made it a power socket and move the key assembly to right above where the battery sits.... and of course all the other mods. Voltage meter, stabilizer, etc. Velcro shelf is for iphone... Enjoy.

I've tried all the LEDs etc. and finally I have a light that puts out. It's blinding as is and I will next add the HID.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #9202
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
healight and the whole bike looks great!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #9203
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
healight and the whole bike looks great!
Appreciate that. I took some inspiration from your bike build. I like your front fender a lot better.... mine is a crap off the shelf one from cycle gear.... but of course will be swapped out eventually.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #9204
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Appreciate that. I took some inspiration from your bike build. I like your front fender a lot better.... mine is a crap off the shelf one from cycle gear.... but of course will be swapped out eventually.
yea i love my 950sm fender, i used one on my xr650l and now on the dakar. i wish they werent so expensive though!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #9205
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Oil in air box

Whats considered a "normal" amount of oil in the airbox?? Its got....maybe....an ounce...

Im not real good at estimating fluid amounts.

Oil level goes down slowly, I change oil every 3k and Ive only had to add oil 1 time between changes. Part of that though I attribute to the leaking valve cover Ive got. I do, however, have a little black soot/carbon around the end of the tailpipe. Doesnt throw out any noticeable smoke when the engines running though.

Edit - Was just looking at F650.com and found some references to getting oil in the airbox in a tipover. I wiped out couple weekends ago out playing in the desert. Never occured to me that oil would run into the airbox like that. GOing to clean the oil out and keep an eye on it. Might have been the whole problem.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar

KG6BWS screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 11:13 AM
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #9206
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,692
What the Dakar should have been.
Funny thing is that BMW could have done that for peanuts.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #9207
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Question: My Dakar "seems/feels" to be running hot on the right side (never noticed it like I have lately). Temp light works, has not kicked in. Fan works. Fluids are good (oil/coolant). It just seems hot. Am I imagining something??
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #9208
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Question: My Dakar "seems/feels" to be running hot on the right side (never noticed it like I have lately). Temp light works, has not kicked in. Fan works. Fluids are good (oil/coolant). It just seems hot. Am I imagining something??
Same story here, I had a hose come loose off of the water pump. Fixed that and topped up the fluid but still running hotter than normal.

Talked to my mechanic and he suggested I might have a pocket of air in the cooling system and recommended I purge the system using a piece of clear tubing and the vent nipple on the upper right side of the engine (http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Photos/Ai...nTubeClose.jpg).

Went to do that today only to discover the previous owner replaced the vent nipple with a bolt, so now I need to make the trip to the dealer to purchase the $10 part.

Martín
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #9209
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Thx Martin, will take a look at that.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #9210
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElReyDelSofa View Post
Same story here, I had a hose come loose off of the water pump. Fixed that and topped up the fluid but still running hotter than normal.

Talked to my mechanic and he suggested I might have a pocket of air in the cooling system and recommended I purge the system using a piece of clear tubing and the vent nipple on the upper right side of the engine (http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Photos/Ai...nTubeClose.jpg).

Went to do that today only to discover the previous owner replaced the vent nipple with a bolt, so now I need to make the trip to the dealer to purchase the $10 part.

Martín
Don't know for sure, but will a metric brake bleed screw work. It might save you a trip to the dealer and a few bucks. Also, if there is a bolt in there check the sealing surface for the vent screw. It is a angled metal to metal seat and the end of the bolt may have scarred the sealing surface of the seat.

If the bolt seals, just crack it open till iquid comes out then tighten closed. No need for the fancy bleed screw in my estimation.
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote