User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #9601
jpkailua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Blinker/indicator light question

I took off the old instrument console and installed a Trailtech Vapor w/ indicator lights. The old blinker Indicator light had a blue w/ black tracer wire (right blinker) and a blue w/red tracer wire (left blinker) connected to the bulb and worked fine. I hooked up the new indicator light the same way. The blinkers are working, the indicator light only operates w/ the left side blinkers and not w/ the right side blinkers (blinkers work). The neutral light, low fuel light and the low oil pressure light are all working.

Any thoughts? (I did have to do a little jumpering to get the fuel light to work, Maybe for the right blinker as well?)

Thanks for any input.

JP
Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #9602
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromsurfer View Post
2001 F650GS Dakar 16,000 miles
Time to replace steeringhead bearings. I can feel the notch in the middle. Checked the Stealership...$67 including the rings but not shipping. Anyone here have a source and part number (30205)that may be a bit cheaper?

Thanks
+1 on the All Balls kit, I've changed steering bearings twice with SKF's 320/28x/Q ( good for about 20000kms) and once with the All Balls kit, the All Balls have so far outlasted the SKF's by 10000kms and counting. I paid 48.00 for the skf and about 35.00 for the All Balls kit plus you get the metal dust seals with the All Balls
Remember I'm in Canada so we pay more for the bearings than you do
Go to f650.com and buy the steering head tool from an inmate who makes them it is very well made.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #9603
stromsurfer
Stromsurfer

Oddometer: 660
Bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
+1 on the All Balls kit, I've changed steering bearings twice with SKF's 320/28x/Q ( good for about 20000kms) and once with the All Balls kit, the All Balls have so far outlasted the SKF's by 10000kms and counting. I paid 48.00 for the skf and about 35.00 for the All Balls kit plus you get the metal dust seals with the All Balls
Remember I'm in Canada so we pay more for the bearings than you do
Go to f650.com and buy the steering head tool from an inmate who makes them it is very well made.
All Balls it is then.

Thanks guys for your help.

MC
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #9604
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnman View Post
Thanks LoJack - Do you ever switch back to a 17? Is it a straight swap without problems?

looks good but it says "shipping to united states only. thanks!" if I found the right one.Sadly I am across the pond. If that's not the one, them PM me

great info Parx, I was hoping for that because even with the bigger rear shock, it feels like it needs more height on the back to load the front. I already run a 14 on the front, to help with the technical riding. we don't have the big desert tracks that your lucky enough to enjoy
yea i have the one for us shipping only. shoots!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #9605
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
What hand guards are you liking?
I have the stock BMW but am looking at the barkbusters VPS. I have heated grips and stock bars so I'm wondering if
the weights changing with the VPS increase the vibes. Also wondering about the 20mm risers.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #9606
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,232
Some people like the risers, I tried them (with the stock guards) and took them off after one ride.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #9607
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I think that with the Barkbusters or the TT hand guards, you have to put risers, because of the dashboard/screen getting in the way.
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #9608
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
Yes there is some misunderstanding of the use of risers, in many cases they can cramp the arms and reduce ability to control the machine

On mine people see the risers and mention they should fit some, They miss the fact the risers are there to adjust for the lower rise in the bars and that the total height is actually 1/2" lower than stock to suit my height let alone that the pegs are 1/2" higher to give better leverage and comfort
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #9609
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 332
I have 20mm risers, and Fastway foot pegs installed in the 1/2" lower than stock position. Makes both standing and sitting a lot more comfortable for me.

I just ordered Barkbusters, so I will have a set of risers available if anyone is interested. Send me a PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #9610
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
What hand guards are you liking?
I have the stock BMW but am looking at the barkbusters VPS. I have heated grips and stock bars so I'm wondering if
the weights changing with the VPS increase the vibes. Also wondering about the 20mm risers.
I've got the Barkbusters VPS guards. On the stock bars, I didn't notice much the change with the bar-end weights. You do _have_ to run the risers though. The inner mounts for the handguards hit the top of the bodywork if you don't.

I swapped my bars out for Renthal Jimmy Button bend, and the VPS handguards still fit, though without the weights. I put Ricor Vibranators in at the same time.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #9611
guavadude
de-composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Some people like the risers, I tried them (with the stock guards) and took them off after one ride.
What didn't you like about them?
I'm 5'7" so the stock ergonomics fit me
great. I need a little more wind protection than stock guards and beefier is better. Just not sure how much a 20mm riser changes things and once I try I couldn't return the guards. Think I'll try to find someone in the D/FW area with some BB guards mounted or just pull the trigger.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #9612
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
great. I need a little more wind protection than stock guards and beefier is better. Just not sure how much a 20mm riser changes things and once I try I couldn't return the guards. Think I'll try to find someone in the D/FW area with some BB guards mounted or just pull the trigger.
If you just pull the trigger you will not be disappointed,I have the BB with storm plastics and TT 35mm risers which allow me to rotate the bars back towards me for a better fit. I have short arms and this works great for me.The BB have saved my levers and mirrors many times!! 20mm is only 3/4" When I bought the BB they did not have end wieghts so I had some brass turned into end wieghts because I could definitly feel the vibs more without them, BB has since started to offer a nice looking bar end wieght.
Installing the Storm plastics required a little bit of plastic trimming with a box cutter to clear my clutch lever.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #9613
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,232
Quote:
I'm 5'7" as well, 30" inseam and the stock ergonomics fit me great as well. I was mainly trying to raise the bars so they wouldn't interfere with my Touratech tankbag's side pockets. But the higher bar position just felt too awkward whereas the stock position felt just right, like a super motard. I ended up getting the newer version of the TT tankbag that moves the side pockets rearward and out of the way of the handlebar.

If I wasn't in Japan I'd be happy to mail you my risers to try. But if you only want more wind protection you could always just add the Touratech wind spoilers to your stock handguards.http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...ar-G650GS-pair
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #9614
guavadude
de-composer

thanks twinrider, that's what I was needing to hear. I'll go with the TT spoilers for now and if I bend my stock bars then I'll go with the Renthal bars, vibranators and BB guards.
thanks!

btw, I put on a pair of the new SW Motech footpegs and really like them. The rubber comes off with one bolt and the spike pattern isn't so spikey that my boots stick in them. Wider, beefier than the stock and there are two positions...one stock and one slightly lower without the need for new shifter or rear brake pedal. I didn't even have to adjust them.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #9615
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
............ and if I bend my stock bars then.........
You don't have to bend them. If you loosen the screws you can just rotate them back to desired position and then tighten the screws

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote