Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #10111
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Checked out my friends KTM 950 Adventure yesterday and he had a set of bigger pegs that bolted onto his stock pegs, making a nice, large foot bed.

I'd really like to add a set of those to my bike, he wasn't sure if they were available.

Does anyone know of larger pegs that are made for our bikes?
i have fastway pegs on mine. great pegs.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #10112
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Checked out my friends KTM 950 Adventure yesterday and he had a set of bigger pegs that bolted onto his stock pegs, making a nice, large foot bed.

I'd really like to add a set of those to my bike, he wasn't sure if they were available.

Does anyone know of larger pegs that are made for our bikes?
I have the Touratech's and they are fine, but the really big improvement is the relocation or repositioning of the pegs. And yes the kit is too expensive.

I find the stock position is very awkward when riding trails

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #10113
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
I have the Touratech's and they are fine, but the really big improvement is the relocation or repositioning of the pegs. And yes the kit is too expensive.

I find the stock position is very awkward when riding trails
Any idea how much the offset is of the TT kit?
And how much is the TT kit?

I'm working on a solution.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #10114
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
The TT Kit moves the pegs back approx 100 mm, if you look at machines like Pavey's Dakar one from a few years back it has the pegs back around 120 mm.
In terms of the peg carrier U Channels, I set up relocated pegs and pivotz many years ago before the BM ones were available and used YZ U Channels as they are the most common size on Japanese machines, it means replacement pegs can be obtained from almost any bike shop in an emergency
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #10115
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
Any idea how much the offset is of the TT kit?
And how much is the TT kit?

I'm working on a solution.
I moved mine back so centre line of peg is bout 10mm behind centre of swing arm pivot, I sometimes think I could have gone a tad further back.

As WayneC1 said 100-120 range is way better than standard, use those as your minimum/max numbers and anywhere in between will be sweet I also dropped height with the TT pegs ( maybe 25mm from memory)
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #10116
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The TT Kit moves the pegs back approx 100 mm, if you look at machines like Pavey's Dakar one from a few years back it has the pegs back around 120 mm.
In terms of the peg carrier U Channels, I set up relocated pegs and pivotz many years ago before the BM ones were available and used YZ U Channels as they are the most common size on Japanese machines, it means replacement pegs can be obtained from almost any bike shop in an emergency

Distance Up/Down?

You got dimensions for the YZ U-channels? (mail me if you have please Squire)
I only have dakar spare in hand
I assume they are too different to to make the mounting brackets universal.

Stainless steel or powder coated steel? Or something stronger? 4130?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #10117
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
Yes, the difference is too large to make it universal but that is easy to overcome by making the peg mount 2 piece with a removable U Channel as I have done. I used alloy on the first set and they survived a number of falls but eventually showed some cracking after straightening from a fall. The latest one's are steel with some reinforcing which is what the Dakar runners do to ensure they are not caught out on the track after a fall. The U Channel is fine to make in alloy and there is an Alcan extrusion which can be used for the YZ but it is a discontinued architectural one so stock is only with fabricators. The extrusion I used for the BMW U Channel I cant recall too much detail from as I was not too interested in staying with their design and scored enough to make a couple of sets as spares.

Distance up/down is going to come down to personal preference and the unholy shape of the gorilla riding the beast, in my case have increased height 1/2" as I am not an overly large gorilla. Remember increasing height also improves leverage over the machine and it is noticeable even at 1/2". The pivotz have inbuilt height adjustment by swapping the units side to side.

Will email you re details later when I have more time to dig out the info from my files. Some of the info on pegs, brake and gear change levers is on the mods page I put on line

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/FootPegPos.html
http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/GearLever.html
http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/BrakePedal.html
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #10118
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Yes, the difference is too large to make it universal but that is easy to overcome by making the peg mount 2 piece with a removable U Channel as I have done. I used alloy on the first set and they survived a number of falls but eventually showed some cracking after straightening from a fall. The latest one's are steel with some reinforcing which is what the Dakar runners do to ensure they are not caught out on the track after a fall. The U Channel is fine to make in alloy and there is an Alcan extrusion which can be used for the YZ but it is a discontinued architectural one so stock is only with fabricators. The extrusion I used for the BMW U Channel I cant recall too much detail from as I was not too interested in staying with their design and scored enough to make a couple of sets as spares.

Distance up/down is going to come down to personal preference and the unholy shape of the gorilla riding the beast, in my case have increased height 1/2" as I am not an overly large gorilla. Remember increasing height also improves leverage over the machine and it is noticeable even at 1/2". The pivotz have inbuilt height adjustment by swapping the units side to side.

Will email you re details later when I have more time to dig out the info from my files
Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #10119
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,970
So I went to the local MX shop to pick up a supermoto front fender yesterday and told the owner of my plans to run it on a 19 adn a 21 and was very skeptical since they are made for 17 wheels.
Concerns:
- totally wrong curve, won't look good
- way too short, won't catch any spray

I know some of you, like Kubiak, run SM fenders, but unlike Kubiak run 21's.
I'd appreciate some thoughts/ experiences/ pics please

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #10120
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
So I went to the local MX shop to pick up a supermoto front fender yesterday and told the owner of my plans to run it on a 19 adn a 21 and was very skeptical since they are made for 17 wheels.
Concerns:

Hey Thomas- I had a Aceribis SM fender a while ago. correct, did not catch the spray very well on a 21" wheel. Got pretty damn muddy a few times I had no problem with the curve. Infact, I don't think I ever hit it on full bump like my MX fender. Doesn't flop like the MX fender does if that is a bonus.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #10121
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Concerns:

When I first did the YZ fork conversion I put a YZ fender on. The stocker no longer worked because when the forks bottomed out with the extra travel the top of the front wheel scrubbed the box for the horn.

The YZ fender worked fine except above 70 mph. Faster than that it was flopping in the wind. So much so that around 80 mph there was a noticeable head shake. Next I put the Acerbis SM fender on and it's much better at speed. It is considerably shorter at each end and so there is more spray, but I prefer the SM fender for the way I ride this bike, which not infrequently includes some longish slab runs. The other possible issue with the YZ fender was that it had no venting slots in it at the rear. If I'd kept it on there I planned to make some with a dremel tool, but never got around to it. Changing out is simply four bolts if I ever think I'll need a larger fender for a muddy trip or some such.

Photo of my bike with the YZ fender:

And with the SM fender:
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #10122
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

SM def looks heaps better, but I'm concerned with the amount of spray since I don't run a screen I get it all straight in my face.

Which can be a bit tedious when trying to balance on slippery wet paint, while avoiding stupid cagers who can't be bothered to use their mirrors nor indicators, when lane splitting on the highway during rushhour in the rain. Or when riding off the paved stuff of course.

I run an acerbis universal MX fender now, but it looks like crap after being painted 3-4 times and crashed even more. It also looks somewhat dated.... I have mixed emotions really. Might keep it. Looing at the pics it doesn't look that bad... might just be the PMS acting up again (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #10123
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
I like the beat up old school look

Does the aluminum brace help keep it from flopping around at higher speeds?
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #10124
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I like the beat up old school look

Does the aluminum brace help keep it from flopping around at higher speeds?
Wadda ya mean beat up ?! Well fuck you too

I've never thought about it before I read GSBS' comment about it earlier today. Don't think mine flops around. Been standing, looking down at it many times at anything from 50km/h to top speed in 5th and never noticed anything you wouldn't expect when riding a gravel road at top speed.

Will surely be looking for vibes now though

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #10125
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Well you did say something about crashing it a bunch. Personally, the more beat up a bike is, the better looking.

I've got an Acerbis, the one where you can replace the front part, forget what model that is. I like it, though it sits a little crooked. That's my fault. I don't really notice any movement on it, but I think that may be from the two piece design making it stiffer.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote