ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #10186
GSBS
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
Planning to replace my tourance witb the k60 scout. Is the heidy 140/80 bigger than tourance 140/80. I replaced my brother f800gs stock pirelli with the heidy 150/80. Its looks wider and taller.
Should step down witb 130/80 or stick with 140/80 for the dakar.
Thanks
I've put an 18" rear wheel on my Dakar and have been running the Heideneau K60 Scout (140/80-18) for the last two tires. When brand new the larger diameter tire with new tread came to within about 1/2 inch of the swing arm. The current tire has around 5K miles on it and has worn to the point of having another quarter inch of clearance. I could have gone to a longer chain to increase clearance, but it hasn't been an issue for 12K miles. If you're still using the stock 17 inch wheel there should be no problem at all. BTW, I'm getting 6-7K miles from the Heidy rear and about double that from the front.
All that said, I'll be switching to Michelin T63s next time to get a little more bite in the mud (hopefully). Plus they are less than half the price of the Heideneaus.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #10187
Damian_74
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Damian_74's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 351
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
Hey D
You back on land?
Sadly no still have 4 more weeks of floating hell to go have to appease my adventure riding via the ever slow satellite internet connection till then
Damian_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #10188
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer
 
isgila's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 109
Heidy k60 scout

Thanks aquatic and Gsbs..
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #10189
mattomoto
2 wheels rule
 
mattomoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: In the shadow of Long's Peak, CO
Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Ya got to get the addiction to the sight of red dust under control there Gravel Seeker, we could send some over for you to roll in if you like
I think Thomas is getting tired of winter/snow/freezing temps up in Norway!

If you Aussies would post more ride pics that may help him out a bit!
__________________
Matto
mattomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #10190
mattomoto
2 wheels rule
 
mattomoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: In the shadow of Long's Peak, CO
Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Fuck off scooter man

Fucking hilarious! I'll look for some of those when I drive through LA in a couple weeks...
__________________
Matto
mattomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #10191
ferals5
865+652
 
ferals5's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Goulburn, Australia
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
I think Thomas is getting tired of winter/snow/freezing temps up in Norway!

If you Aussies would post more ride pics that may help him out a bit!
well ok... here ya go Thomas. My youngest bloke on his XT600 at the edge of the Simpson desert


and the Flinders Ranges

ferals5 screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 04:31 PM Reason: add photo locations
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #10192
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 2,005
That may be too much red dust porn for Thomas to handle, it is cabin fever season over there right now

He may well forget he is back in a civilized country and start rolling on his back, legs in the air and start pissing on every fence post again reliving a past life

Must say I do like the mirrors, would go well with the paint scheme Thomas has
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:07 AM   #10193
ferals5
865+652
 
ferals5's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Goulburn, Australia
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
That may be too much red dust porn for Thomas to handle, it is cabin fever season over there right now

He may well forget he is back in a civilized country and start rolling on his back, legs in the air and start pissing on every fence post again reliving a past life

Must say I do like the mirrors, would go well with the paint scheme Thomas has
we better drag out the torment then
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:10 AM   #10194
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
That may be too much red dust porn for Thomas to handle, it is cabin fever season over there right now

Must say I do like the mirrors, would go well with the paint scheme Thomas has
Everything goes well with my paint scheme, that's the genious of it





Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
we better drag out the torment then
Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.









Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
He may well forget he is back in a civilized country and start rolling on his back, legs in the air and start pissing on every fence post again reliving a past life
WTF ?!
I'm beginning to think we may have done Australia in different ways




.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #10195
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Must say I do like the mirrors
Here you go. They even come in other colours





__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #10196
GSBS
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,861
Battery connections...

Had a little incident with my 2003 Dakar last week that surprised me even after putting more than 80K miles on this bike.

Riding along a 2-lane highway around 60-65 mph the bike began shutting down for a second or two, then would catch back up and be okay for a mile or two, then shut down again. After four or five times of this the bike finally went completely dead and I coasted to a stop.

No power to anything, key on or not. Then I noticed that the GPS - which is hardwired to the battery - wasn't working either, so I knew it had to be a battery connection.

After several minutes of removing tank and tail bags, the seat, plastic shrouds, etc. I got down to the battery and to my surprise everything looked to be connected up normally. There was just enough play in both battery connections to move with your fingers if you pushed hard, but not "loose" or "dangling" by any measure. In the end I was able to turn each Phillips head screw on the battery terminals about 1/8th turn to snug them down and that corrected the problem.

What was really surprising was that the bike was so sensitive to this slight amount of play in the cables. When I change the oil next week I'll clean the terminals again and make sure all is snugged up good and tight!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #10197
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Had a little incident with my 2003 Dakar last week that surprised me even after putting more than 80K miles on this bike.

Riding along a 2-lane highway around 60-65 mph the bike began shutting down for a second or two, then would catch back up and be okay for a mile or two, then shut down again. After four or five times of this the bike finally went completely dead and I coasted to a stop.

No power to anything, key on or not. Then I noticed that the GPS - which is hardwired to the battery - wasn't working either, so I knew it had to be a battery connection.

After several minutes of removing tank and tail bags, the seat, plastic shrouds, etc. I got down to the battery and to my surprise everything looked to be connected up normally. There was just enough play in both battery connections to move with your fingers if you pushed hard, but not "loose" or "dangling" by any measure. In the end I was able to turn each Phillips head screw on the battery terminals about 1/8th turn to snug them down and that corrected the problem.

What was really surprising was that the bike was so sensitive to this slight amount of play in the cables. When I change the oil next week I'll clean the terminals again and make sure all is snugged up good and tight!
Yup, been there.

Mine was working like the champ that it is all day at our annual offroad event and then the next morning it was dead. Positive terminal turned out to be slightly loose. No warning, nothin', just dead and then 1/4 turn on the screw and it was fixed. Go figure.

Next time it stared acting up like that I had to replace the ignition switch though as it was worn out, but the symptoms were very similar
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #10198
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer
 
KG6BWS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Canyon Country, Ca
Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Yup, been there.

Mine was working like the champ that it is all day at our annual offroad event and then the next morning it was dead. Positive terminal turned out to be slightly loose. No warning, nothin', just dead and then 1/4 turn on the screw and it was fixed. Go figure.

Next time it stared acting up like that I had to replace the ignition switch though as it was worn out, but the symptoms were very similar
Mine did the same exact thing....except when I tightened it the 1/4 turn I found that it looks like my VR is dead.
__________________
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #10199
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Mine did the same exact thing....except when I tightened it the 1/4 turn I found that it looks like my VR is dead.
Ouch. Recently ?

What will cause that ?
Is it something one can take precations against? Does it wear out? Is it knocked out by some other part failing or is it just one of those things ? (aliens)
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #10200
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer
 
KG6BWS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Canyon Country, Ca
Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Ouch. Recently ?

What will cause that ?
Is it something one can take precations against? Does it wear out? Is it knocked out by some other part failing or is it just one of those things ? (aliens)
Ehhh, thinking it was going bad anyways. Got the clutch fixed and went for a ride. During the ride it started running real rough and the next day found the battery about dead. Went to charge the battery and found the cables a 1/4 turn or so loose. After i charged the battery up to full the bike started and ran fine but at 3k rpms its only charging at 12.4 or so.

Battery is good and have a mosfet vr on the way. Going to install that doing the relocation at the same time. Hopefully that fixes the problem. If not wiring and stator are next.
__________________
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014