User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #10291
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,187
Here's some photos:

I just tucked the sidestand switch under here and will leave it be until I have some time to muck with getting rid of it altogether. Riding from near Windsor, ONT to Death Valley on Wednesday morning and I've already done a metric ton of work to this bike with only a couple hundred miles of shakedown. Should have another 100 or so before I leave. All that work and the fact that I'll be doing the trip solo means I'll be taking more than the usual amount of tools. My toolkit is the single heaviest item on the bike.

Here is the bike as I received it:

Here it is just got home from Newfoundland last year:

Note the right side fork seal has puked it's oil out at this point.

Here it is today:
First, the lean with the new skid plate/storage and new lower bars to which the sidestand attaches.

A bit more lean than I'd like but I lowered the forks 30mm (to match the stockers) and the Ohlins sits higher only because the stock shock was knackered and even on full pre-load didn't have the jam needed for this bike.

New fork, new bars, new grips, new rear shock, new skid plate, new set of TKC's.

Perhaps it has something to do with the years of our bikes, but the post on top of the this bolt-- the bolt that holds the sidestand on-- made it impossible to lift the lower frame bars into position because it clanged into the header. In case you're not familiar, you mount the sidestand and do some preliminary zip-tieing of the cables before you mount the frame bars. Then you mount the rear two bolts and swing the front up until it hits the mark. There was not hitting the mark with that post in the way. So I shook hands with Mr. Hacksaw and made short work of it. I think it might still work should I have to put it back to stock. But if not, I can afford a new bolt.

Sorry it's so dirty but it's ridden, not kept under glass.

There's a bit of room between the new skid plate and the bottom of the motor. I don't know how big the oil change valve is but it might fit. I have two pieces of hardware to change out this afternoon and I'll take some measurements.

I'll also grab a snap of how the front lid closes. It's not impressive regarding water entry, I'll see how it fairs.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #10292
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
TT bashplate

For those who wishes to purchase the TT bashplate, I email to TT germany and was informed that the bashplate is out of production. They recommend me to contact TT USA as they still carried leftovers.
Long story short, I did not purchase the bashplate from TT USA as the shipping cost double of the product itself.
So I made a bashplate with 1 litre of storage myself. A new lower subframe was also made and a new side stand bracket moving the side stand to the pegs.
The tool box slide out to the top using breakaway door hinge. The skidplate is 3mm thick and bolts to pegs bottom bolts and front chasis.
Now i got an inch higher ground clearance and my bike side stand angle does not hurt my knees.
Only trade off i exprience was I lose about a litre during refueling because the bike is almost upright.

isgila screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 01:35 PM
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #10293
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

First, I'd like to announce that since reading Isgila's post, my Touratech bash guard with 3 litres of storage is now for sale. First fellow with 799 USD takes it!

Took some more snaps:

Here are the new bars, much wider than the stockers. I laid the stockers there for comparison. I really like the wider bars on my 1150, so I found a set that mimic old-timey dirt bike bars. Much better for me as I am a big guy with wide shoulders.

That's the photos I can take standing on the rear pegs, balancing with the digicam over my head before the OPP show up on a nutter call.

Okay, so here's how the lid closes on the storage compartment. I don't think you'll find it particularly weather-proof.

Two quarter turn fasteners with D-rings twist open, and then the lid is lifted forward and up.

Here's a shot of the inside. You can see light entering from the fabrication. I don't think it was ever intended to be water tight. I won't put the tender bits in here. I'm thinking tools or perhaps tube/tube repair/tire levers/air compressor. Although I never liked carrying oil in general population, either. I'll figure it out.

I suppose an enterprising fellow could weather proof it with a bit of silicone and perhaps some weather stripping in place around the perimeter of the lid.

As for that oil change valve being installed, I tried to take some photos but I only faired so well.

There's about 32 mm or one and one quarter inches gap between the bottom of that oil plug and the top of the skid plate. This distance will vary bike to bike so if you think it's close, don't do it. It may very well collide.

My camera tried to focus everywhere but where I needed it.

You'd have about half the diameter of the lower frame bars (same diameter as stock) and the gap shown here.

Hope I helped a bit. If you want any more information or photos, let me know.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #10294
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,874
Lots to read closer and comment when I get home from work, but I thought I'd just mention that the TT bashplates are very soft grade alu and give more than Mother Theresa.

I didn't notice I had hit anything and still the whole rear bit was knocked flat (supposed to bend down at 45o). Beat it back with a hammer in a couple of knocks. Point is that the oil valve may not survive a hit to the bashplate if they are too close to eachother

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #10295
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
Someone asked about notmymodelname's new modifications, I found a sneak preview, good traction but ground clearance ?

WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #10296
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Someone asked about notmymodelname's new modifications, I found a sneak preview, good traction but ground clearance ?

Umm....don't think that's nmmn's....last I heard was he had almost 2 ft clearence and weighing 243 lbs

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #10297
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809

selling one of my modified mufflers on the for sale section for you exhaust maniacs. its a modified 08 yamaha wr450 muffler to fit the f650gs. quiet but powerful sound with the modified bolt on end piece inside the end cap. never need repacking either!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #10298
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
This thread needs some ride shots!

OK, broke the ol girl out before we get dumped on with snow again and it closes the trails... again... Went and checked out was left of the forest after a huge fire last fall. Some of the forest service roads were still closed for the winter so did not make it too far. I did ride some single track that was open so that was fun

The old inn at the bottom of the pass... Needs some fixin' up'in'.

Donner single track

Nice views for now.

Got out of there in a hurry as the storm was rolling in like a freight train!!! Made it home before it turned ugly! Ok, back to winter tonight and tomorrow apparently. SUCK IT WINTER!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #10299
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

looks like a great time!

I wish I could mount my GPS up that high. I see you've modded your cockpit a bit to get it there.

Enough with the friggin' snow already. I gotta drive half way across the country to get to CA and I have to ride from Windsor, Ont, all the way down to Texas to escape the snow.

Attention planet: it's APRIL.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #10300
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
suck it winter!!!!
+1

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #10301
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Why are there 2+1 seals in the allballs front wheel bearing kit ? I admit I haven't looked that closely, but I'm pretty sure there's only one seal on the RHS against the spacers. On the disc side the bearing is exposed towards the thick washer

http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1219.html

They also list two seals for the Pegaso/ Funduro front, but I just removed the bearings in that one and there's only one seal. On the RHS.

http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1210.html

Speaking of removing the bearings. On the spacer tube that sits in the middle of the hub between the bearing there's a thin ring, sort of a spacer on the spacer tube (inner diameter of the hub would be about 3-4mm larger than the outer diameter of the spacer tube. When I received the wheel I noticed straight off the bat that the spacer tube was not seated evenly and I now suspect there should've been two of these thin spacer spacers.... spaced out yet ?

Anyone know ?
I took some pics, but won't get them up untill tomorrow or so.... am trying to get the welder business sorted and as most countryfolk he's a bit elusive and hard to get a firm time/ date/ answer from

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #10302
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
looks like a great time!

I wish I could mount my GPS up that high. I see you've modded your cockpit a bit to get it there.

Enough with the friggin' snow already. I gotta drive half way across the country to get to CA and I have to ride from Windsor, Ont, all the way down to Texas to escape the snow.

Attention planet: it's APRIL.
Ya, got rid of some of the plastic in there. Not needed anyway. I like the shorter sheild too as air does not catch the peek on my helmet also. I mounted a RAM ball back behind the cluster on the subframe and used a long arm to the GPS. Worked well. Can angle it so I can see it when standing also.

Ya, tell me about it. Winter will not give up this year
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #10303
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
OK, broke the ol girl out before we get dumped on with snow again and it closes the trails... again... Went and checked out was left of the forest after a huge fire last fall. Some of the forest service roads were still closed for the winter so did not make it too far. I did ride some single track that was open so that was fun

Nice views for now.

Got out of there in a hurry as the storm was rolling in like a freight train!!! Made it home before it turned ugly! Ok, back to winter tonight and tomorrow apparently. SUCK IT WINTER!!!!
Hey Matto, what would you guess your bike weighs dry? I subtracted and added from the original BMW data which was probably BS and figure with all the shaving I've done, maybe down to a hair under 350 lbs dry, but honestly doubt any lower than that.

Jim
Old 04-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #10304
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Speaking of removing the bearings. On the spacer tube that sits in the middle of the hub between the bearing there's a thin ring, sort of a spacer on the spacer tube (inner diameter of the hub would be about 3-4mm larger than the outer diameter of the spacer tube. When I received the wheel I noticed straight off the bat that the spacer tube was not seated evenly and I now suspect there should've been two of these thin spacer spacers.... spaced out yet ?

Anyone know ?
I took some pics, but won't get them up untill tomorrow or so.... am trying to get the welder business sorted and as most countryfolk he's a bit elusive and hard to get a firm time/ date/ answer from
Thomas

the 'ring' on one end of the tube lets you line up the axle when putting the wheel on but also alows the tube to be offset for bearing removal. So yes it's normal

cheers

Mark
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #10305
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Aa-aait, couldn't keep off

This is the tiny spacer ring on the spacer tube I was babbling on about a few posts above here. Shouldn't there be 2 of these on there, one on either end ? Just looks strange to me... I'm sure many of you have replaced wheel bearings and know if there are "spacer tube spacers" on the spacer tube on the GS hub... BMW F650GS Dakar fische #04 "Spacer shims, inner".
There are also some things I cannot indentify here - what is #08 "SPACER BUSH" and #14, #16 and #17 (text cut off after #13) ?
#14 may be the spacer tube spacer
#16 may be the alu spacer**
#17 may be a seal/ dustcover (same as #10), but I can't say Ive ever notice a seal on that side

** (I happen to have one spare)

Neither the BMW F650 Funduro fiche #04 "Spacer sleeve" nor the Aprilia Pegaso 650 fische #23 "Front hub spacer" have the "spacer tube spacer" listed

My new bearing remover tool worked like a son of a bitch though. Bit sad forking over $150 for it today, but very happy with both bearings out in 2 minutes once I figured out I needed some resistance on the hub while sliding the hammer

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !