Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #10381
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
With my tax return coming within the next few weeks, Im giving strong consideration to some suspension upgrade. For the rear Im thinking probably and Ohlins. I have a question about the front though.

I use my bike as more of a traveling/adventure/commuter bike than a dirt bike. I weigh about 220 geared up and (once the skid is finished) will have about 15-20lbs extra weight up front. I am also considering crash bars, and although I doubt I will, Ive given thought to getting the TT39 tanks.

Considering its a lightweight dirt bike, are there fork springs available for the YZ426 that will hold that much weight up front? Or would I be better off hunting around for a front end off one of the big ktms??
We are very similar in use and size.

I have a set of KTM 50mm Extreme conventional forks on my bike and Ohlins out back. I love it, but I need to spring the front a little more stiffly. I was able to retain the stock front wheel and rotor. Interestingly the I noticed more vibrations in the bars after the conversion.

I decided to stay away from the YZ fork conversion for 2 key reasons...My experience with dirt bike oriented inverted forks is that they are continually blowing fork seals. I hate doing inverted fork seals. The second reason was I did not feel comfortable with YZ/WR brakes in terms of longevity when riding with an all up weight of over 700lbs. Having said that there is an entire thread about the conversion and many guys have great results; I think there is also some newer developments in brake upgrades for that conversion. As for your actual question the Yamaha forks will easily handle the weight.

I just had my Ohlins rebuilt. I don't know if the PO had spec'ed a soft spring or it TT even offered options in spring weights, but it was seriously under sprung.

Unless you plan on riding across sub Sahara Africa skip the TT39's. I have never found range to be a serious issue in North America. From what I understand they are a serious handling compromise, and cost a ton.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #10382
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
That caught my eye. What did you do? 12kg is a lot.

1911fan
You can get 10 lbs (about 4.5 Kg) just by going to an aftermarket exhaust, a couple of pounds by using a smaller gel battery, maybe a pound with a front fender conversion, another five by removing the stock dash/fairing and going to a vaportech and a universal Dual Sport style headlight (especially true if you have the models with the glass headlight lens), ABS (if so equipped) is probably good for at least 3-5 lbs. That's getting close.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #10383
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
I put all the figures on the weight reduction here http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/Weight.html
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #10384
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
We are very similar in use and size.

I have a set of KTM 50mm Extreme conventional forks on my bike and Ohlins out back. I love it, but I need to spring the front a little more stiffly. I was able to retain the stock front wheel and rotor. Interestingly the I noticed more vibrations in the bars after the conversion.

I decided to stay away from the YZ fork conversion for 2 key reasons...My experience with dirt bike oriented inverted forks is that they are continually blowing fork seals. I hate doing inverted fork seals. The second reason was I did not feel comfortable with YZ/WR brakes in terms of longevity when riding with an all up weight of over 700lbs. Having said that there is an entire thread about the conversion and many guys have great results; I think there is also some newer developments in brake upgrades for that conversion. As for your actual question the Yamaha forks will easily handle the weight.

I just had my Ohlins rebuilt. I don't know if the PO had spec'ed a soft spring or it TT even offered options in spring weights, but it was seriously under sprung.

Unless you plan on riding across sub Sahara Africa skip the TT39's. I have never found range to be a serious issue in North America. From what I understand they are a serious handling compromise, and cost a ton.
Biggest reason Im keeping the YZ forks in mind is because of how much documentation there is on the swap. Ive read thru a few of the threads, including that big one here, and watched a couple of videos and such. The KTM swap, if I can get the parts, is also possible. I have a buddy who can do any machine work I need. As far as brakes, I agree with you. I want more power not less. Its one reason im going to keep looking for a 950Adv front end. But that same friend could also probably make me a bracket to fit the BMW caliper and use a supermoto rotor.

Yeah, I agree on the TT39s. Theres only a couple places Ive wanted to go where range has kept me from. Mainly just because I ride alone and dont want to push that close to my range limit. Main things I like about those tanks is they look cool as hell and they would give my legs more wind protection. Not enough though to be worth that kind of money, considering my use of the bike.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #10385
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
One nice thing with sticking with WP (when it comes to the 4357's and 4860's) is they use the same brake caliper, so it's easier to keep the same brake setup (or go bigger).

Taken from http://crossroadz.com.au/F650GS/Modi...orkNotesWP.pdf:

"The Brembo front brake caliper on the F650GS and the KTM 640/950 are the same. It is a standard
22.555x 32/30 mm piston caliper with a caliper bracket specific to each of the machines.
The combined caliper and bracket are shown as one part No on the BMW on-line fiche.
The BMW caliper can be re used with KTM caliper bracket 601.13.015.100. This is a new Part No
replacing the old Part No 600.13.015.000"

I was looking at this recently because I'd like to downsize on the rotor a little bit. Maybe go to a 270 or 280.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #10386
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 524
YZ forks & front brake

The WR250X (street/sumo version of the WR250R) has a 300mm front rotor, and larger caliper than the dirt WR/YZ bikes and it fits the forks. The only problem is that it's somewhat hard to find (on eBay, don't know about dealers)...

I'm preparing to do the swap as well, and don't like the idea of a 250mm rotor that is also thinner than the 300mm ones on our bikes (and the WRX). Does anyone know the thickness of the aftermarket 270,280 rotors?
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #10387
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
Raising links

A question to all interested the 1" raising links.

With or with out bearings, bush and bolts?
Obviously this will make a difference in the price.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #10388
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
The dimensions to discs, including thickness can be obtained easily at www.metalgear.com.au

The aftermarket 270 and 280 mm discs will be the same as the OEM discs
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #10389
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,970
Anyone have a good source for small quick release battery cable contacts ? I think maybe Herr Helmet supplies them as a kit with his batteries ?

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #10390
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Anyone have a good source for small quick release battery cable contacts ? I think maybe Herr Helmet supplies them as a kit with his batteries ?
Anderson power connector yellow 50amps..

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/50-AMP-YE...item58952fb5cf
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #10391
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
Anderson power connector yellow 50amps..

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/50-AMP-YE...item58952fb5cf
Thats what I use. Don't cheap out and try to solder or use the wrong crimping tool. Trust me on this. Each connector comes with only 2 metal tabs. Screw them up and you are SOL. You also need lug connectors. a proper wire stripper etc.

http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-to...e-crimper.html
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #10392
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Footpeg shift

Busy developing new footpeg brackets with footpegs moved further back.
The intitial idea was 100mm. However when looking at it, it looks too far back

pdf

Some feedback please. Where would the best place be?
When I look at photo of the TT brackets they look to be 60mm

And would anybody be interested if I made extra?
Old 04-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #10393
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

And would anybody be interested if I made extra?
Interested... Also, have you thought of incorporating a side stand mount point on the left side peg bracket for use with an aftermarket side stand? I'd really like to get rid of the stock under frame/kickstand/skid plate.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #10394
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Footpeg shift

I agree with GSBS. The footpeg bracket should incoperate with the sidestand.
I wanted to design a bracket to use with trailtech sidestand but question its strenght since it is design for lighter MX bikes. Or maybe i'm a cheap guy..
So i went to a local welder and spent the whole day explaning what I wanted..
Anyway like i wrote in my last post, i grind off the oem sidestand bracket. Weld an angle bar to the footpeg and reweld the side stand bracket to the new footpeg bracket..
The spring hardware is attach to the front metal stub with a groove made so the plate fit snugly. The rear was grind off...
Total cost was under 30 bucks.. you gotta love our asian labour cost..

isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #10395
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

OK. Side stand will go on.

But I will need to commit to a side stand.
Do I use the existing stand off the bike. Or go for an aftermarket?

Bearing in mind I'm in Australia. Any suggestions?