Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #10396
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
Stands are going to vary in length dependent on suspension mods and can be "adjusted" in length easily so I would not try to build it to any spec other than the ability to bolt on the stock unit which many will mod to suit to cut costs. There are also legal liabilities on removing the switch, not that we are concerned
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #10397
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
OK. Side stand will go on.

But I will need to commit to a side stand.
Do I use the existing stand off the bike. Or go for an aftermarket?

Bearing in mind I'm in Australia. Any suggestions?
Sorry, but I don't know of one. I'd think the stock would be too long at the steeper angle from the peg mount though, but dunno for sure. The angle of the foot would also be wrong if the new stand was pivoting at the peg.

I'm open to whatever you come up with.

I want to get rid of that part of the frame that just holds the stand and skid plate to gain some more ground clearance and loose a little unneeded weight. Then fab a carbon fiber/kevlar skid plate to replace the stocker.

I've also wondered if the left side hole for the center stand at the bottom rear of the frame cold be used as a side stand mounting point. Maybe not stout enough to carry that much sideways load though.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #10398
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 521
CF bash plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I want to get rid of that part of the frame that just holds the stand and skid plate to gain some more ground clearance and loose a little unneeded weight. Then fab a carbon fiber/kevlar skid plate to replace the stocker.

Father?!? Funny, been having the same thoughts...

The left side hole for the rear stand can be used for the sidestand, and in fact is, by Touratech. See pics:

However the Touratech sidestand that comes with the kit is too long for a stock Dakar height bike. I've tried with mine and it was just too close to falling over (I've got pics somewhere...). The stock BMW side stand is even longer, so I didn't even bother trying. The only solution would be to raise the bike further or shorten the side stand.

I think the idea of moving the sidestand mount to the foot peg bracket is just brilliant! to isgila! And it will work fine with the stock side stand too. I'd love to see it combined with a footpeg mount 1" back.

As for the carbon fiber bash plate... here's some inspiration: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605282

I really like where this could potentially go: moving the sidestand mount to the footpeg bracket and substituting the under-engine metal frame with a carbon fiber bash plate...
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #10399
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
That is the simplest and best solution I have seen, shortening the BMW stand would be relatively easy.

The BMW stand is a tapered tube which has the mount with a central bolt welded into the top of the tube. The bolt section is slightly too small and the tube flexes each time you use it, eventually the tube weld fractures and when you put the bike on the stand the machine crashes to earth, I know I had to pick it back up.

By grinding the stand off the mount at the top and then shortening the tube you could then make the bolt section a snug fit and stop the flex. On mine I put another section of tube around the outer and braised along the length to stiffen it. Pic and info is here http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/SideStand.html
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #10400
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,969
I was going to wait untill I had it back together, but since you're all on a side stand roll.... have a load in for blasting and coat. Maybe ready tomorrow, but most likely beginning of next week

Got the sidestand from ebay for $41 at http://stores.ebay.com/TEAM-FILIPE [.....BRAND-NEW-UNIVERSAL-FITTING-STEEL-SIDE-STAND-FOLDING-MOTOCROSS-ENDURO-HUSABERG-....]

Cut and welded the lug to the bottom of the TT rally bracket

Decided on a nice lean angle, cut the stand to length and welded on a baseplate so it won't sink to China when I park it. BMW engineers/ designers really need their tuition back.... bit of a difference....

As far as I can tell the bike is not lower than it was and the lug is not obstructing the lean angle

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #10401
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
I really like where this could potentially go: moving the sidestand mount to the footpeg bracket and substituting the under-engine metal frame with a carbon fiber bash plate...

I don't wanna burst your bubble, but let's just say the subframe is not just there to hold the sidestand.

Removing it completely doesn't exactly sound like a good idea, as it's a substantial part of the frame.
I would imagine that the stress the under-engine frame currently takes would otherwise be directed through the engine bolt in the front and the swingarm pivot.

IMHO you should opt for a solution that simply includes a lower profile under-engine frame.
TobyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #10402
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I totally agree with TobyG. I do thought of removing the lower subframe but looking at all the broken casing from big adv bikes i decided not to. Not that i was planning to ride over logs or anything. The lower is your last protection if the bash plate fails. There are numerous bashplate manufacturer that incoperate crashbar with bashplate for the big adv bikes like Superten, ktm990 and gs12.
The vertical part of the subframe is bend to accomodate the side stand switch. I replaced it with a straight bar and achieve the inch raise without compromising the protection. I can upload a photo of the subframe if anyone is interested...
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #10403
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
The stock BMW side stand is even longer, so I didn't even bother trying. The only solution would be to raise the bike further or shorten the side stand.
Huh? My Dakar sidestand is too short, the bike leans way the hell over.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #10404
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Planning on doing a little work on my new skidplate with storage boxes tomorrow. Since I dont trust that stupid little stock screw to hold that much weight I want to make mounts that bolt to the frame.

My idea is to drill 1 hole on each side of the frame down tube, approx level with the stock mounting screw, and make some aluminum brackets to permanently bolt there.

Does anyone see any problems Im missing, maybe with cracking and such? I dont think 1 bolt each side would seriously weaken the frame, especially for my kind of riding, but Im not an engineer either.

Edit - Lower mounts will be tabs welded to the lower bars.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #10405
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
1911fan
Can't tell if you're joking or not...

Think the stand is long enough and then some - it's the angle that's fucked as evident by my pics above, so if you move the mount back and weld it at a similar angle to what my new one is you will have to cut a good 3-4 inches off it

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #10406
tempered_lobster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Planning on doing a little work on my new skidplate with storage boxes tomorrow. Since I dont trust that stupid little stock screw to hold that much weight I want to make mounts that bolt to the frame.

My idea is to drill 1 hole on each side of the frame down tube, approx level with the stock mounting screw, and make some aluminum brackets to permanently bolt there.

Does anyone see any problems Im missing, maybe with cracking and such? I dont think 1 bolt each side would seriously weaken the frame, especially for my kind of riding, but Im not an engineer either.

Edit - Lower mounts will be tabs welded to the lower bars.
Rather than drilling the frame down tube, could you not extend the aluminium brackets upwards to pick up where the down tube bolts to the top frame with the 2 bolts there?
tempered_lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #10407
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post

1911fan
The problem with the stock side stand is the angle, look at the pics in Gravel Seekers's post (#10400).

In other words: It's not the size, it's how you use it!
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #10408
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,816
Now that's funny.... I see it now.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #10409
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempered_lobster View Post
Rather than drilling the frame down tube, could you not extend the aluminium brackets upwards to pick up where the down tube bolts to the top frame with the 2 bolts there?
I thought of that too but dismissed the idea. Think Im going to take another look at it. Be nice not to have to drill any more holes.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #10410
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:

The left side hole for the rear stand can be used for the sidestand, and in fact is, by Touratech. See pics:

Just thought I'd mention that since the TT sollution utilizes one of the centre stand mounts, this option cannot be used if you would like to use or retain a centre stand.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !