Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #10411
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 438
What all the hoopla about side stands and the angles at which the bike sits?

This is how a real biker, John aka "Throttlemeister" parks his F650. Doesn't appear he has a problem.

Even though the lean angle is a little low, it works for him.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #10412
WildsideRider
Cruiser Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Is this a good deal?

2005 bmw 650GS Dakar - $7000

Absolute mint 2005 650GS Dakar, with extras, panniers, bags, skid plate, racks, sprockets, upgraded pegs, Piaa off road lamps, and risers.....plus a lot more too. You will not find a nicer Dakar for sale anywhere period!, full service history all maintinence done and up to date. 35k, and an absolute dream to ride.

I went and took a look at it, it is in pretty nice shape...I don't know if I would call it mint but pretty good shape for an 8 year old bike. He is the 3rd owner. 7k for and 8 year old bike seems a little high to me, but I really don't know anything about these bikes. I asked how firm he was on the 7k and he said pretty firm. I said I was thinking more like 6k and he said the lowest he would go is 6800. What are your thoughts on this deal? what does a 2005 usually go for? Thanks for any and all info!
WildsideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #10413
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildsideRider View Post

Absolute mint 2005 650GS Dakar, with extras, panniers, bags, skid plate, racks, sprockets, upgraded pegs, Piaa off road lamps, and risers.....plus a lot more too. You will not find a nicer Dakar for sale anywhere period!, full service history all maintinence done and up to date. 35k, and an absolute dream to ride.

I went and took a look at it, it is in pretty nice shape...I don't know if I would call it mint but pretty good shape for an 8 year old bike. He is the 3rd owner. 7k for and 8 year old bike seems a little high to me, but I really don't know anything about these bikes. I asked how firm he was on the 7k and he said pretty firm. I said I was thinking more like 6k and he said the lowest he would go is 6800. What are your thoughts on this deal? what does a 2005 usually go for? Thanks for any and all info!
IMO, too much. I bought my 01 with 36k miles and no farkles for $3000 and the Sertao, brand new, is going for about $9000. Personally, I think between 5 and 6 thousand would be a fair price. It looks like a decent bike, but Ive seen quite a few in the 4-6 thousand range that were in about the same shape with similar add ons.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #10414
WildsideRider
Cruiser Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Ya, I was thinking between 5-6k would be fair but I don't think he will come down that far. remember this is in Canada so it is 35k km's not miles (about 21k miles)...and bikes are usually more expensive up here...but still...I think 7k is a bit much for this one...but I like it! :)
WildsideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #10415
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post

This is how a real biker, John aka "Throttlemeister" parks his F650. Doesn't appear he has a problem.

Och, this post makes my back hurt...
Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #10416
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Price is hard to nail down, the farkles are worth quite a bit. I passed on a bike in primo shape, guy wanted $6800 for it, same year as that one you posted. It was probably worth it, but it wasn't the paint scheme I wanted and I just didn't want to spend that much.

I ended up with my '03 Capt America bike with 25k miles on it and some simple farkles (bmw panniers, center stand, etc) for $4650.

That '05 has more farkles than mine and is newer, so it's certainly worth more than my bike...
Old 04-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #10417
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Price is hard to nail down, the farkles are worth quite a bit. I passed on a bike in primo shape, guy wanted $6800 for it, same year as that one you posted. It was probably worth it, but it wasn't the paint scheme I wanted and I just didn't want to spend that much.

I ended up with my '03 Capt America bike with 25k miles on it and some simple farkles (bmw panniers, center stand, etc) for $4650.

That '05 has more farkles than mine and is newer, so it's certainly worth more than my bike...
I agree that price is tough to nail down. That bike in particular though I still say he wants too much. According to Kelley Blue Book (I just used my area to look) an 05 Dakar in Excellent condition has a suggested price of $4885. Those look like Happy Trails panniers which, if memory serves, go for about 600 or so for the kit with 2 panniers and the racks. Id guess at the farkles on that total out to around a $1000 give or take a little.

I didnt notice your location, oops. $7000cad is about $6800usd so I still think I wouldnt go over about 6k for that bike.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #10418
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
I agree with GSBS. The footpeg bracket should incoperate with the sidestand.
I wanted to design a bracket to use with trailtech sidestand but question its strenght since it is design for lighter MX bikes. Or maybe i'm a cheap guy..
So i went to a local welder and spent the whole day explaning what I wanted..
Anyway like i wrote in my last post, i grind off the oem sidestand bracket. Weld an angle bar to the footpeg and reweld the side stand bracket to the new footpeg bracket..
The spring hardware is attach to the front metal stub with a groove made so the plate fit snugly. The rear was grind off...
Total cost was under 30 bucks.. you gotta love our asian labour cost..

Would it be possible to get a few more pics of that sidestand setup? Im thinking of doing the same thing. Wanted to see what the lean angle is like and about where the foot ends up in relation to the swing arm. Does it interfere at all with the centerstand foot? I dont have a centerstand yet, so I have no way to check if theyll interfere with each other.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #10419
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
wildsiderider
I'd pay 5500.00 for that bike.... if he won't take less than 6800.00 keep looking. I watch the used bike market here in Alberta and B.C. and good deals come up but you have to be patient. Things like panniers and other farkles come up in the flea market on a regular basis for 1/2 of retail, all my stuff has been purchased used for my 07 including gear.
The bike new was only 9500.00, its 8 years old. My 07 has 77000kms and still runs strong.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #10420
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Quote:
Ya, I was thinking between 5-6k would be fair but I don't think he will come down that far. remember this is in Canada so it is 35k km's not miles (about 21k miles)...and bikes are usually more expensive up here...but still...I think 7k is a bit much for this one...but I like it! :)
Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't pay top dollar for any Dakar or F650GS that hadn't already had a front end conversion, either YZ or WP forks, etc.

Even it this one had it, I think the asking price is high.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #10421
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post

Brilliant
Just hope John, the real biker, has a strong back....

I too have used that method, but I prefere laying it on the other side to properly spread the battery acid evenly across its innards

There's always a better option than laying it down, but hey, I'm not a real biker I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
Och, this post makes my back hurt...
Beat me to it

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #10422
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,928
Quote:

Rule of thumb;
Aftermarked add ons are wortless once mounted to a vehicle.

Like other have said, figure out the value of the bike without any extras and see how much he is really asking for the extras. I'f you are willing to pay that amount for them I guess he's nailed the value.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #10423
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Lying it down

I seem to have plenty of those....

A couple of old ones.

Another alternative to using the sidestand.

dansin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #10424
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Tried parking mine without the side stand too, what a fu*!ker to pick up! Actually I was just testing my gel battery............... yes really

road surface wasn't the best in that last one, honest

Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #10425
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansin View Post
I seem to have plenty of those....

A couple of old ones.

Another alternative to using the sidestand.
Spotted your problem Daniel, the side stand is on the other side of the bike. You can thank me later if you like
Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote