Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #91
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
Great. Keep us posted on progress if you go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
That's right, but cat is only in the header end of the can. Logically I can't see any reason why opening up that end cap would not convert it into a proper exhaust with in-built cat. It'll possibly be very loud because it may not have a baffle. All depends on the internal ducting inside. I'm hoping the internals are very similar to the older pea shooter design.

F650.com Pea Shooter Baddle Mod FAQ Write-up

kovrob may have the answers.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #92
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,306
My Dakar
Carbon fiber fairings, ohlins, emulators, HID, staintune, techclusion, much lighter than stock

Touring in WV last year

My Dakar leads a hard life, touring, off road riding etc, however it has been very reliable.

I have been trying to decide between keeping this bike and starting over with an Xchallenge. If I keep the Dakar I will lighten it further and do the Yamaha front end. If I go with an X it will be another rally faired bike with a tall windscreen and provison for side cases.

In any case the Dakar has been a great machine for me, it will ride all day on the highway, works fine on dirt/gravel roads and does mild off road (if a little grudgingly). I have seen guys who are good riders do amazing stuff with it off road but the weight is a bit much for someone at my skill level.

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #93
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtc_brian
I just bought a 03 Dakar and I have done some searching on here, but couldn't really find what I wanted. I am looking to replace the standard headlight bulb, but would like to get some more light out of it. Without going to HID, what model numbers, etc are there? Also, any info on which is brighter and which are less expensive is a plus.

Also, if this is the wrong forum, I appologize and will accept the bashing with a smile. I am new here and haven't gotten everything figured out.

Also, I will post a pic of the bike when I get a chance to take one. The 8" of snow we got on the day we got back from buying the bike is really throwing a wrench in things.
I have these babies in my F8, and had the Philips equivalent in my Dakar. They make a truckload of difference and won't cost an arm and leg.

http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/5804/4...861303319.html

these are good things as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-F650-DAKAR-A...3286.m63.l1177
And there's no place I'd rather be!!

Bigem screwed with this post 03-18-2009 at 01:03 AM
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 AM   #94
kovrob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
mcgiggle,
The pictures are here:
Standby position:

Full throttle:

tmotten,
ĄI'm hoping the internals are very similar to the older pea shooter design.Ē Ė yes, itís same.

This summer I would like to ride countries where the unleaded fuel is not available, because I must get out the catalytic converter. I donít have pictures neither from the work, nor from the spares, sorry. The following picture show what are in the canisters:

bjtc_brian,
I used it once an Osram Nightbreaker halogen (+90%), but his lifetime is very short. Now I use Osram Silverstar with 50% more light and longer lifetime: http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Consu...TAR/index.html

kovrob screwed with this post 03-18-2009 at 04:43 AM
kovrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #95
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
So you think drilling out the end cap where the pea shooter would be may be enough? Offcourse the connection pipe will have to be closed off.

Also, the right hand side which you converted into a storage can seems to have a baffle and all sorts of stuff welded in. Did you have any problems taking out all the innards?

I've only got basic tools like Dremel, drill and angle grinder mind you.

FWIW, you can keep the cat while running leaded fuel. It'll just be destroyed, but who needs it anyway. Weight reduction would be the only gain.
Did you have any trouble pulling it out?
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #96
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovrob
mcgiggle,
The pictures are here:
Standby position:

Full throttle:

tmotten,
ĄI'm hoping the internals are very similar to the older pea shooter design.Ē Ė yes, itís same.

This summer I would like to ride countries where the unleaded fuel is not available, because I must get out the catalytic converter. I donít have pictures neither from the work, nor from the spares, sorry. The following picture show what are in the canisters:

bjtc_brian,
I used it once an Osram Nightbreaker halogen (+90%), but his lifetime is very short. Now I use Osram Silverstar with 50% more light and longer lifetime: http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Consu...TAR/index.html
Once decent dump in gravel or any kind of aggressive dirt and those wires are toast. Also, if you ride at any kind of speed, when you crash or lay the bike down (and we all do) your handguards are going to spin at the connection point on the endof the bar and the wires will be ripped. But enjoy it while it lasts.

Also, nice mechanical drawings. But I don't get it, that's a lot of work just to get a tiny amount of stirage space and keep the cat con? JUst deep the whole thing in the trash and install a good aftermarkerrt pipe. You'll lose 13 lbs, gain HP, it sounds better and then you can put some real storage on the right side..........if you feel you need to add somethng there.

Sorry for being a downer, just my thoughts., whatever that's worth.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #97
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovrob
It's mine:

Renthal handlebar w. Acerbis handguards
Hella MicroDE auxiliary lights
Wilbers prgressive fork springs
Flexible turn indicators
Home made cockpit/windscreen and chain guard
Modificated higher seat
Modificated exhaust (the right side is an canister)
Unique painting :)

Conti Escape for tarmac, MT21s for dirt

I like it! :)
I love what you did with the cockpit. I'd imagine that the higher resulting windscreen position can only help with airflow management for a taller rider, too...
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #98
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Fit up a nice after-market muffler and ebay another one and turn it into a tool canister like the Microns on my Dakar. $300 all up, lost weight, sounded better, went heaps better and no cat to poison.

And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #99
kovrob
Adventurer

I heard a sound like this - without pea shooter - I hate this very much. I don't write/explain this "sound" - with my English absolutely not :) If you can, hear this before! ;)

If you not have a welder don't start it. You must saw/drill them on more places! The inner spares are welded. You must drill the canister on these points then welding back the holes.

"FWIW, you can keep the cat while running leaded fuel. It'll just be destroyed, but who needs it anyway. Weight reduction would be the only gain." - I didn't know this. I believe it may be clogged with the lead.

Quote:
So you think drilling out the end cap where the pea shooter would be may be enough? Offcourse the connection pipe will have to be closed off.

Also, the right hand side which you converted into a storage can seems to have a baffle and all sorts of stuff welded in. Did you have any problems taking out all the innards?

I've only got basic tools like Dremel, drill and angle grinder mind you.

FWIW, you can keep the cat while running leaded fuel. It'll just be destroyed, but who needs it anyway. Weight reduction would be the only gain.
Did you have any trouble pulling it out?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #100
kovrob
Adventurer

Wireing: Yes, maybe it will be destroyed. In this case let this be my largest trouble! :)

Exhaust: I'm very price sensitive (remember: I'm from Hungary!) This work cost only 20$ (but the deep/agressive sound is priceless! :) ) while the aftermarket slip-on prices are in the sky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Once decent dump in gravel or any kind of aggressive dirt and those wires are toast. Also, if you ride at any kind of speed, when you crash or lay the bike down (and we all do) your handguards are going to spin at the connection point on the endof the bar and the wires will be ripped. But enjoy it while it lasts.

Also, nice mechanical drawings. But I don't get it, that's a lot of work just to get a tiny amount of stirage space and keep the cat con? JUst deep the whole thing in the trash and install a good aftermarkerrt pipe. You'll lose 13 lbs, gain HP, it sounds better and then you can put some real storage on the right side..........if you feel you need to add somethng there.

Sorry for being a downer, just my thoughts., whatever that's worth.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #101
jimmy650
South Canol Racing Club

Oddometer: 394
Here's mine on the Canol Road in the Yukon.
55k miles on it... no problems to speak of.
2006 Alcan5000 Winner
jimmy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #102
underwaterguru OP
Moto shop Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
light bulbs

It looks like we all win. The bulbs are standard h-4 halogen. These are available at any motorcycle parts store in a range of upgrade options. Blue to bright white up to 130 watts. This is much better than the previous BMW I had as it took a special (order) bulb. Now I know this is a commuter gripe but come on, no helmet lock. Am I missing it, where is it?????

underwaterguru screwed with this post 03-18-2009 at 05:41 PM
underwaterguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #103
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
Fit up a nice after-market muffler and ebay another one and turn it into a tool canister like the Microns on my Dakar. $300 all up, lost weight, sounded better, went heaps better and no cat to poison.

They are definitely nice looking pipes. I noticed them on your earlier pictures. Unfortunately Iíll have to get 2 of everything. Down side of his and hers bikes. So I have the same problem as Kovrob.
Plus, what is easier than drilling out the end cap hole and closing off the connection pipe. IF itís as simple as that. If itís not, Iíll have to decide whether of not to go the whole hog or to reinstate it.

Couldnít really care less about the cat. Itís the can Iím after. I realise in litres itís not a big amount, but I should be able to fit all tools and spares for a big trip in 2 of them. That would make my life a lot easier. Keeping in mind I donít have these to go hard on, but travel on.

Kovrob, cheers for the heads up on the right hand side can. Presumably itís only spot welded. Iíve got welding equipment but only a cheap Arc welder. My mate has a fabrication company so I could hit him up for some help if I get stuck. I could always get him to weld me up a pipe to fit the original end cap on. Should have a go on my own first off course.
Not sure on the clogging. I know that people have donít a fair few thousand kís on leaded fuel with the can in. Which makes me think it wonít clog. The lead will brake down the chemical coating on the mesh or whatever you call what they build a cat out of.

I didnít like that idea about the heated wires either. Hence why I just re-wound the heated wire the other way and let if come out the way all the aftermarket guess have it.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #104
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Just for the record, I visited one of our fellow ADVers yesterday who had cleaned out his cat and closed off the side. The bike sounded great and was not nearly as loud as I expected. not all that much louder than my Staintune. I have a canister on the right and it adds room but the real bonus is in segregating the tools from other stuff. The net effect is as if you gained more room than you really did. Plus if I run around with no luggage at all I still have tools.
Dan

Quote:
Plus, what is easier than drilling out the end cap hole and closing off the connection pipe. IF it’s as simple as that. If it’s not, I’ll have to decide whether of not to go the whole hog or to reinstate it. [/COLOR]

Couldn’t really care less about the cat. It’s the can I’m after. I realise in litres it’s not a big amount, but I should be able to fit all tools and spares for a big trip in 2 of them. That would make my life a lot easier. Keeping in mind I don’t have these to go hard on, but travel on.
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #105
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
I have a canister on the right and it adds room but the real bonus is in segregating the tools from other stuff. The net effect is as if you gained more room than you really did. Plus if I run around with no luggage at all I still have tools.
Dan
Exactly my thought.

So he did the same as Kovrob by cutting the end cap off?