Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #10531
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
KG6BWS, Interesting, you saying you have a faulty injector ?, also interested in what RPM the surging shows up
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #10532
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
What have y'all found successful for turn signal replacement? I bought some internet LED cheapies ($8 per) last year and they have me regretting switching from stock. Even though i bought 7 and installed them last year, they are all already used and i am missing parts. they are brittle and prone to come apart when bumped with a boot or hip.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #10533
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
What have y'all found successful for turn signal replacement? I bought some internet LED cheapies ($8 per) last year and they have me regretting switching from stock. Even though i bought 7 and installed them last year, they are all already used and i am missing parts. they are brittle and prone to come apart when bumped with a boot or hip.
I don't have the name of mine, but I've been using them since 2006. They show some signs of wear (a little dust and water) and I would've loved to open them and wipe them clean, but don't dare in case I break them and can't get them back together. Pretty sure I payed around NOK 250 per pair back then which would be around USD 45 or $22,50 per turn signal. The stalk is flexible and the led's themselves are bright as hell. No way anyone can't see them. I'll try to get some close up pics so you can at least try to find them. Bought mine in a countryside MC shop, so pretty sure they are very universal and not at all hard to find.

Here's one, but I'll try to find something better

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #10534
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
KG6BWS, Interesting, you saying you have a faulty injector ?, also interested in what RPM the surging shows up
Dont know that I have a faulty injector. I read a service bulletin (think it might have been over in the F650 FAQ's) that said to cure the surging/stalling, update the firmware AND replace the injector. The injector recommended was from a 1200C but I dont have the part number handy. When I took the bike in to the dealer, they said no faults/errors showed and it had the most current firmware. When I checked the part numbers, mine still has the original injector, so the PO had it updated but never swapped injectors. Thats the only reason I want to replace it.

Once I get the injector changed, Ill try plugging the O2 sensor back in and see what it does. In the meantime, while not perfect, it runs much better than it did and doesnt stall at all. And at 57mpg average, quite acceptable on that score.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #10535
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
I don't have the name of mine, but I've been using them since 2006. They show some signs of wear (a little dust and water) and I would've loved to open them and wipe them clean, but don't dare in case I break them and can't get them back together. Pretty sure I payed around NOK 250 per pair back then which would be around USD 45 or $22,50 per turn signal. The stalk is flexible and the led's themselves are bright as hell. No way anyone can't see them. I'll try to get some close up pics so you can at least try to find them. Bought mine in a countryside MC shop, so pretty sure they are very universal and not at all hard to find.

Here's one, but I'll try to find something better
How did you get the LEDs to work? I want to do the same thing but Im still trying to sort through all the various ways Ive read to get them to work on our bikes.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #10536
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Dont know that I have a faulty injector. I read a service bulletin (think it might have been over in the F650 FAQ's) that said to cure the surging/stalling, update the firmware AND replace the injector. The injector recommended was from a 1200C but I dont have the part number handy. When I took the bike in to the dealer, they said no faults/errors showed and it had the most current firmware. When I checked the part numbers, mine still has the original injector, so the PO had it updated but never swapped injectors. Thats the only reason I want to replace it.

Once I get the injector changed, Ill try plugging the O2 sensor back in and see what it does. In the meantime, while not perfect, it runs much better than it did and doesnt stall at all. And at 57mpg average, quite acceptable on that score.
Could it be that the O2 sensor is faulty? Have you ever replaced the fuel filter/regulator? I have started to ride with a filter/regulator packed after as I am about 20,000 miles past the recommended replacement interval.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #10537
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 566
Anyone know what fuse disables the ABS system...?

I need to pull the fuse for this weekend, yet I cant find it...

OR - any other quick way to disable the ABS for the entire weekend. My switch on top is not connected.

Thanks!
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #10538
rdalland
dharma bum

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
Anyone know what fuse disables the ABS system...?

I need to pull the fuse for this weekend, yet I cant find it...

OR - any other quick way to disable the ABS for the entire weekend. My switch on top is not connected.

Thanks!
I disconnect the front ABS sensor when I want to disable the ABS on my '06. There is a connector attached to the bodywork near the steering head on the left side. Follow the cable up from the wheel to find the connector.

It is tight squeeze, but it is easy to disconnect (do be careful not to break it). Tape or zip tie the disconnected wire out of harms way.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #10539
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
How did you get the LEDs to work? I want to do the same thing but Im still trying to sort through all the various ways Ive read to get them to work on our bikes.
I think WayneC1 has a PDF at his site that worked for me, but i don't have it bookmarked on this computer.

Wayne, how about a link in you .sig? What you have assembled seems to rival the chain gang FAQs...
Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #10540
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 566
Great, thanks! I will try this first... It will disable the front and rear abs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
I disconnect the front ABS sensor when I want to disable the ABS on my '06. There is a connector attached to the bodywork near the steering head on the left side. Follow the cable up from the wheel to find the connector.

It is tight squeeze, but it is easy to disconnect (do be careful not to break it). Tape or zip tie the disconnected wire out of harms way.

racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #10541
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
hhhh (that's Norwegian for Uuuuhhh)

Think I just replaced the relay

I believe I had to replace the blinker relay when I changed out the 10W OEM bulbs for 21W Osram Diadem bulbs many, many years ago. I think that realy is the same I have in now and that it works with the LEDs. Either that or I've just bought a relay for LED turn signals. LED blinker relays are $15 here http://www.biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bi...ele-LED-42200/, so I'm sure they're half that in the US. They have one for European cars and one for Japanese, doesn't say what the difference is though.

So there are 18 leds in each blinker. There's also at least 4 resistors in there

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #10542
rdalland
dharma bum

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
Great, thanks! I will try this first... It will disable the front and rear abs?
Yes, it will disable the front and rear ABS. The ABS light will blink to let you know that you have no ABS.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #10543
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
.......It is the angle of the mount coming off the bracket which would be good to add in text as well as how much the stand is shorter compared to a stock stand.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
I'll get some measurments
  • Length vs OEM
  • Lean angle vs OEM
  • Forward angle
Length
Original: 36cm
New: 26 cm

Angle - cm off center....Someone probably aced algebra and can work out the angles based on that

Forward: Center of bolt to center of stand at ground - ca 5,5 cm (green line)

Lean: Center of bolt to inside of stand at the ground (so shortest point) - 12 cm (again, green line)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #10544
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Forgot to mention also Wayne, the stumble is the worst between about 3200 and 3800 rpms. I just try and keep it below 3k and above 4k and it runs pretty good with the occasional stumble.

Thanks Gravel Seeker. Ive read Wayne's page. Like I said, just trying to sort through the 5 or 6 different variations that Ive read and basically see which is the easiest to use.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #10545
Damian_74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Aprilia pegaso 125 hub

Was looking for a spare front wheel - the wreckers want a small fortune for a Dakar front wheel and BMW wants your first born!

Found an Aprilia Pagaso 125 front hub on UK eBay, freighted to my door for less than $40 AUD. When you look up the Aprilia part numbers for the 125 and the 650s front hub they are the same.

The difference between the FI BMWs and the Aprilia is that the Aprilia has provision for a speedo drive, hence different seal size etc.

30 min on the lathe latter Ive machined the speedo drive area to suit a different seal, now we have a BMW friendly hub.

I realise that not everyone has access to a lathe but I am sure that your local engineering works could do the job easily for minimal cost very little set up work and if they have a larger machine might even be able to fit in a complete wheel?

STD BMW seal 40mm x 25mm x 7mm
STD Aprilia seal - 50mm x 40mm x 4mm (plus the drive tang)
Modified seal 50mm x 25mm x 8mm

Aprilia STD hub

Aprilia STD hub

BMW STD hub

Quick lick in the lathe

Finished
Damian_74 is offline   Reply With Quote