Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #10606
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
The price I'm referring to is the price the guy who sells the conversion kit quoted me for the front. I don't know enough, or anything about suspension tuning to get it dialed in. As for the price of suspension work, I know it's pricey. I just don't want to put 2k into a bike to make it more capable in technical situations when it still will weigh at least 420 lbs. Given my riding abilities, as i picked up the Dakar last august and its my first bike in over 15 years, I think it wiser for me to get a smaller bike. If someone can put together a dialed in and complete kit for less than the $1000 let me know.
Mr.Dabalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #10607
DS Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
What are you guys using for a rear shock guard? My 07 has some quite deep scratches in the rear shock shaft and before it gets too much worse and causes dramas i'd like to protect it. This offering from TT ( http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...tection-F650GS ) is all i can find online... and ive not been able to find any info on the chain gang either for some reason.

Thanks.
DS
DS Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #10608
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Rider View Post
What are you guys using for a rear shock guard? My 07 has some quite deep scratches in the rear shock shaft and before it gets too much worse and causes dramas i'd like to protect it. This offering from TT ( http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...tection-F650GS ) is all i can find online... and ive not been able to find any info on the chain gang either for some reason.

Thanks.
DS
The home made variety is to glue veldro to the swing arm and the fender/ tank and use an old cut up innertube between the two velcro's. Think it works pretty well.

When I bought my Öhlins I asked if he had any shock protectors for it which he said he could order. It didn't arrive untill a few weeks after the shock was ready though so I had already installed the shock.
Was a bit surprised as it was just a black neoprene sleeve/ tube with velcro fasteners and a big white Ö on it. I was just about to go on my sourthern-northern-point-of-Norway-trip therefore didn't have time to install it. And I actually haven't since either. Bet you ca make one of those yourself for very little, at least less than the USD 75 I paid.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #10609
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Rear shock guard

Quote:

Thanks.
DS
I used my old smelly neoprene knee guard. Cut it to size, got it sewn with velcro. And wrap it.
Been using it for a year. Works like a charm.
@tobyG...
What is that thing on your oil filter??
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #10610
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
@tobyG...

That'd be a Scheffelmeier Oil Cooler.
Works surprisingly well, considering the placement and the rather small surface.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #10611
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
That'd be a Scheffelmeier Oil Cooler.
Works surprisingly well, considering the placement and the rather small surface.
Interesting. Details on it?

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #10612
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 536
Here you go:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1882

-and-

http://www.bashplates.de/BMW-G-650-X...inder::83.html
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #10613
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
I used my old smelly neoprene knee guard. Cut it to size, got it sewn with velcro. And wrap it.
Been using it for a year. Works like a charm.
@tobyG...
Plan to make something like that myself or I might get one of these. Dirt Skins shock guard. Years ago they made me a set custom for my old Dakar forks and it was great.

$20 for a shock guard unless I can get something made locally or make it myself.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #10614
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 381
Quote:

Thanks.
DS
Try http://www.dirtskins.com/. Just orderd one for my new Wilbers.
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #10615
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
LOLOLOL!!!! It could be worse. Stopped for smokes the other day at a 7elleven. Pull into one of the spots and right as I do a car pulls in next to me on the left side (I was backed into the space). So I put the stand out at the same time he starts to open his door and hear that godawful BOINGGGG as the fuckin side stand pops back up.......

Like a dumbass I had started to lean the bike over before making sure the stand was down and sure enough couldnt hold it. He got his door closed just in time and my hand guard missed the side of his car by maybe half an inch.

Talk about feeling stupid....
Smoking is bad for you .
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #10616
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Smoking is bad for you .

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #10617
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
LOLOLOL!!!! It could be worse. Stopped for smokes the other day at a 7elleven. Pull into one of the spots and right as I do a car pulls in next to me on the left side (I was backed into the space). So I put the stand out at the same time he starts to open his door and hear that godawful BOINGGGG as the fuckin side stand pops back up.......

Like a dumbass I had started to lean the bike over before making sure the stand was down and sure enough couldnt hold it. He got his door closed just in time and my hand guard missed the side of his car by maybe half an inch.

Talk about feeling stupid....
This actually just happened to me in my condo parking garage... A maintenance guy saw the whole thing happen. He told me, seriously mind you, "Ya gotta put the side stand down."

Doh!
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #10618
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
This actually just happened to me in my condo parking garage... A maintenance guy saw the whole thing happen. He told me, seriously mind you, "Ya gotta put the side stand down."
No shit Sherlock

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #10619
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
Norwegians are expert at parking as well

Old 05-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #10620
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Norwegians fucking rule !

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !