Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #10636
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,513
So, Mrs1911fan's 650GS died while riding, lost all power and would not restart. Indicators all dim, faint rapid clicking when you hit the starter. "AHA!", sez I, dead battery. Trailered it home and put a new battery in it, had a hell of a time getting the negative cable bolt in so repeated contact/lost contact and intermittend buzzing sound.
Now, all the lights are bright and it cranks but won't start. Did I blow a fuse? Fry something? Advice is appreciated.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #10637
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Buzzzzing sound..

Had that problem before 50km from home. Arghhhh electrical gremlinz... took out my phone and serch for troubleshooting at f650.com and advrider. The answer was loose negative cable or lug.
Pinch the lug with pliers and tighen the bolt. Huraay...
This forum have safe me from a lots from towing cost and mechanical repairs.
Thanks guys...
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #10638
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,827
Long couple of weeks with many obsticles and slow progression.... finally got it back on the road at 1 am on tuesday.... not 100%, but everything is hooked up and bolted on (pretty much).

I wanted to use the "dash" I made last fall, but thought the X2 headlight extended too far, so I figured I'd just use the rubber mounts that comes with the X2 and fasten it to the fork legs.

First had to trim away a couple of metres of wire accumulated over the years. Had bough a bunch of waterproof connections and had a plan going in. After many hours (kid you not) of trial and error I finally gave up trying to figure out the thought process behind the design of the fucking connectors, so I just used the male and female spades and heat shrink. Worked out, but there's no quick release option as I had planned.

1. TT IMO computer has 8 wires
2. TT LEDs have 12 leads, but the BMW harness only has 10. Took me quite a while to get that whole mess sorted
RED circle: 12 way IMO contact
GREEN circle: 10 way BMW contact
YELLOW circle: 12 IMO wires meets the BMW's 10. Positives bundles together, negatives bundled. ABS bulb just stoved away in it's original bulb holder. Another bulb holder, but the bulb was missing. Think it's the original turn signal bulb
PURPLE circle: Turn signal leads for the dash LED's. Since the original harness has one combined bulb for left and right and there are separate LED's I had to take the feed directly from the turn signals.

Then it turns out the fucking ignition effectively rules that option out.... crap.
So I just had to throw something together that would work for now and be improved over the summer

If I replace the brake line with another banjo that is more motocross-like I will be able to move the X2 ....ummm....maybe 2,5cm/1in closer to the ignition

Hooked the £1,56 China LED to the parklight wires

Had one car flash his HI's at me yesterday so at least I'm visable, not too much though, right

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #10639
Damian_74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
X2 headlight

Thomas

Like the headlight - have the same one. I have wired a diode between the high and low beam relays (using a direct fused supply from the battery with the BMW switches on the control side). This is done so that when I switch from low to high beam and back - I don't have to wait for the HID to warm up - it can be a long dark wait mid corner!

Have used this bloke got electrical connectors - good range, fair price reliable service!

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html
Damian_74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #10640
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_74 View Post
Thomas

Like the headlight - have the same one. I have wired a diode between the high and low beam relays (using a direct fused supply from the battery with the BMW switches on the control side). This is done so that when I switch from low to high beam and back - I don't have to wait for the HID to warm up - it can be a long dark wait mid corner!

Have used this bloke got electrical connectors - good range, fair price reliable service!

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html
I don't have to wait either. Don't have HID
Do you have any pics showing how you mounted yours ?

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #10641
Damian_74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
I don't have to wait either. Don't have HID
Do you have any pics showing how you mounted yours ?
Sorry mate - have to be when I get back from my Vietnam Holiday - went there for work last year now she wants to go.

Was in shock last year when I left Vietnam after standing by the building of a new ship paying $1.25 AUD for a beer, then to visit the head office in Ålesund paying $15 AUD a beer - almost enough to turn a bloke soba - almost!
Damian_74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #10642
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_74 View Post
Sorry mate - have to be when I get back from my Vietnam Holiday - went there for work last year now she wants to go.

Was in shock last year when I left Vietnam after standing by the building of a new ship paying $1.25 AUD for a beer, then to visit the head office in Ålesund paying $15 AUD a beer - almost enough to turn a bloke soba - almost!
Hope our wages are higher than Vietnam's....

Nah, seriously our alcohol laws/taxes are ridiculous, but AUD 15 (NOK 90) for a pint (I would think ) is pretty steep so you must've gone somewhere fancy I expect to pay NOK 60-65 for a pint of lager whenever I go out. A drink is NOK 100 + the soda... so around NOK 120 or so for a gin tonic. Needless to say I don't go out much...

Remember I payed AUD 11 or so for a six pack of stubbies, but a 30 can value slab was AUD 23.... A six pack of stubbies is about AUD 15 in the store over here. Try to guess wether or not you get a quantity discount if you buy a full case. You get one guess.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #10643
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,302
Hack the possum scraper w/ a dremel or just go ride offroad hard for a bit. It usually breaks off right where you'd dremel it anyway. :-D

Posted mobile on Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #10644
HamAce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
idle thoughts...

Hi Everybody,

I have shared this thought about 5 months ago, and thought I had fixed the problem...but looks like it is back, with a vengeance.

I have had idling problems with my '07 gs Dakar. This bike is FI and has 28K Km's on it.

The problem: Bike starts without a hiccup, but as I run it, without any warning, the idle will creep up from the normal 1500rpm to around 2100rpm. It will stay at this rpm until I perform the reset procedure of: turning bike off/twisting throttle three times fully/starting bike again - problem fixed (for the time being).

The "solution" (according to my local BMW dealership): Replace the throttle actuator. This was a relatively simple procedure which I completed on my own.

This gave me about 6 weeks of time without the problem...until NOW!

If anyone could shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ham
HamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #10645
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Firstly twisting the throttle three times with the ignition off does nothing, there is no power to that circuit with the ignition off, it is a myth out there

Sounds like potentially an injector problem, suggest looking with a GS911 to see if any faults are showing, the other item would be a faulty 02 sensor
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #10646
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamAce View Post
Hi Everybody,

I have shared this thought about 5 months ago, and thought I had fixed the problem...but looks like it is back, with a vengeance.

I have had idling problems with my '07 gs Dakar. This bike is FI and has 28K Km's on it.

The problem: Bike starts without a hiccup, but as I run it, without any warning, the idle will creep up from the normal 1500rpm to around 2100rpm. It will stay at this rpm until I perform the reset procedure of: turning bike off/twisting throttle three times fully/starting bike again - problem fixed (for the time being).

The "solution" (according to my local BMW dealership): Replace the throttle actuator. This was a relatively simple procedure which I completed on my own.

This gave me about 6 weeks of time without the problem...until NOW!

If anyone could shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ham
For the record, I don't believe for a second that twisting anything with the ignition off will have any affect on anything at all. Just make sure the trottle is fully closed and the water temp light goes out before starting.

Make sure there are no abstruction and the throttle cable is running freely. Try squirting some lube inside the sheath aswell. You can also buy a new throttle cable. and see if that helps. In any case, just zip tie it to the old one and if the old one breaks, it's easy to and quick (sort of) to hook the new one up. Same with clutch cable since I'm on that subject.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #10647
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
After disconnecting the battery are you supposed to twist the throttle three times with the ignition on before starting? Does it help to say "there's no place like Dakar" while clicking your Sidis together each time?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #10648
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Dont think hes saying hes twisting the throttle with the ignition off. Think hes saying hes using the "startup procedure" that BMW gives you. Turn key on, wait for temp light to go off, twist throttle 3 times, start.

I do the same thing and it makes my bike run a little smoother, something to do with the throttle position sensor. I also have to do that at times if it gets a little wonky while Im riding. Shut the bike off and go thru the startup thing again. But yes, gotta have the key on so power is going to the circuit.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #10649
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Orilly? Mine hasn't despite being flogged as recently as about an hour ago. I'm sure it happens...... Mine hasn't.

1911fan

mine neither. I only have 10,000 on it, so far, though
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #10650
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Dremel the shit out of it or just remove it altogether.
Might run into trouble with the law though as the scraper is there to make the spray angle legal.
If you remove it you should in theory extend the fender/ license plate down to compensate for the spray angle at full extension of the shock, which is why it is easier to have the static scraper on the swing that takes the shock out of the equation

Your chain is too loose.

Just sayin'
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote