ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #10651
Kainic
Almost there
 
Kainic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Stamford, CT
Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
"startup procedure" that BMW gives you. Turn key on, wait for temp light to go off, twist throttle 3 times, start.
I have heard of the press for 2 seconds after starts but not the 3 twists then start?
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #10652
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,250
Me neither and it certainly isn't in my owners manual anywhere.

Anyone else heard of this? SOmetimes I get a weird high idle, but the next time I start it there are no problems

Once after I rode through a tornado the bike hunted for it's idle for a couple of starts but it sorted itself.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #10653
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer
 
KG6BWS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Canyon Country, Ca
Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
I have heard of the press for 2 seconds after starts but not the 3 twists then start?
The twist 3 times has something to do with the way the throttle position sensor works. If Im understanding it correctly, its because the computer in our bikes has no memory. Twisting the throttle full open then back to full closed, 2 to 3 times, is supposed to "reteach" the computer where the limits of the throttle are.

Ive read it in several places, including here and F650.com, and my local dealer also told me about it. Its pretty much only recommended on bikes like mine that have surging/stalling issues.

It might be bogus, but what the hell, it works.
__________________
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #10654
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 2,046
There is a procedure in a TSB with regard to resetting idle actuator which involves turning on ignition and operating the throttle to max and back but it has become garbled and people have been misquoting it for years, it goes with the other myth that the BMS takes 12 hours to reset adaptions after full power removal. That one is not helped by a TSB released in the US in which it is stated that removal of power does not reset adaptions
__________________
650GS Info - www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #10655
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!
 
Ricky Chuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Yukon, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 391
Hi guys, have been lurking, reading up on Dakars while trying to decide of one is for me. I ride an 1150R and this "procedure" is mentioned over on r1150r.net when the battery has been unplugged. "You turn the key on and without starting the engine twist the throttle open fully a couple times to allow the Motronic to relearn the Throttle Position Sensor response".

I am not sure I've ever detected any change, but I CAN tell you that doing that also helps reseat the end of the throttle cable down by the throttle body if the little metal seat has been pulled out of its slot. I've done this a few time while messing with the quick connects on the fuel lines. If you do impinge on its Zen, it can change your idle and such. Not sure if your bikes have the same throttle setup as mine, hope it helps.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150R
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #10656
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Your chain is too loose.

Just sayin'
I noticed. And it sucked.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #10657
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Hi guys, have been lurking, reading up on Dakars while trying to decide of one is for me. I ride an 1150R and this "procedure" is mentioned over on r1150r.net when the battery has been unplugged. "You turn the key on and without starting the engine twist the throttle open fully a couple times to allow the Motronic to relearn the Throttle Position Sensor response".
Beat me to it.
I was going to say that maybe it has something to do with repositioning after having had the battery out, but on every start up just sounds wrong. Betting a feather has turned to five hens when being passed from one person to the next.

FYI, I had my battery hooked and unhooked maybe 50 times over the last two weeks when installing a new headlight and didn't do any weird/ special/ secret procedure on start up other than wait for the water temp light to go out. Bike runs like a charm.

I just cannot sit back and swallow all the special tricks people claim you have to do to run this bike. How BMW stays in business with crap like spewing out of the factory is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
I am not sure I've ever detected any change, but I CAN tell you that doing that also helps reseat the end of the throttle cable down by the throttle body if the little metal seat has been pulled out of its slot. I've done this a few time while messing with the quick connects on the fuel lines. If you do impinge on its Zen, it can change your idle and such. Not sure if your bikes have the same throttle setup as mine, hope it helps.
I had some crap stuck to the throttle cable once on the throttle body "wheel", which made the throttle very slightly open even if I didn't intent for it to be and that resulted in normal start, but no idle what so ever. Just died as soon as the rpm dropped after initial ignition.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #10658
ferals5
865+652
 
ferals5's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Goulburn, Australia
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Beat me to it.
I was going to say that maybe it has something to do with repositioning after having had the battery out, but on every start up just sounds wrong. Betting a feather has turned to five hens when being passed from one person to the next.

FYI, I had my battery hooked and unhooked maybe 50 times over the last two weeks when installing a new headlight and didn't do any weird/ special/ secret procedure on start up other than wait for the water temp light to go out. Bike runs like a charm.

I just cannot sit back and swallow all the special tricks people claim you have to do to run this bike. How BMW stays in business with crap like spewing out of the factory is beyond me.



I had some crap stuck to the throttle cable once on the throttle body "wheel", which made the throttle very slightly open even if I didn't intent for it to be and that resulted in normal start, but no idle what so ever. Just died as soon as the rpm dropped after initial ignition.
I'm with gravelseeker on this, I quite often start mine and my jacket is hanging of the right bar and sometimes throttle wound on a bit...starts and runs normal every time...

edit; just reread yr last bit....but mine never dies on return to idle

ferals5 screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 01:09 AM Reason: more stuff
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #10659
ferals5
865+652
 
ferals5's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Goulburn, Australia
Oddometer: 999
anyhoo enough of start procedures...had a 920km weekend from the eastern forests to the high plains








frosty start to the day

ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #10660
HamAce
Adventurer
 
HamAce's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Brisbane, Sth QLD
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Dont think hes saying hes twisting the throttle with the ignition off. Think hes saying hes using the "startup procedure" that BMW gives you. Turn key on, wait for temp light to go off, twist throttle 3 times, start.

I do the same thing and it makes my bike run a little smoother, something to do with the throttle position sensor. I also have to do that at times if it gets a little wonky while Im riding. Shut the bike off and go thru the startup thing again. But yes, gotta have the key on so power is going to the circuit.
Spot on mate, its worked for me everytime as far as a resetting the throttle in the "system" goes, but its only a quick fix. Im starting to suspect more and more that its a computer fault..?? As you can see im a noob by definition haha.
HamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #10661
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
edit; just reread yr last bit....but mine never dies on return to idle
Sorry about that, re-read Ricky's post and figured I should mention that as well. I still don't believe in magic procedures though
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #10662
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
anyhoo enough of start procedures...had a 920km weekend from the eastern forests to the high plains


Sweet
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #10663
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 2,046
Hey Feral

You have an image of one of those single lane tar roads like near quambone with a nice big lip down to the dirt tracks running each side ?, or a dirt road with big sand drifts over it ? I have a need for such images, dont need very high res

Re the BMS on the GS

There are two power feeds to the BMS, the first powers the processor and power is removed when the ignition is turned off, the second is direct from the battery and powers the memory which amongst other things has the adaption info, so there can be no ability for the BMS to detect any motion or operation of any sensor like the throttle actuator when the ignition is off, so there are no magic fairies in there. Resetting the idle actuator with the ignition on procedure is real but is only needed if there have been problems with the actuator

In terms of the fault which generated the responses, the BMS only reacts to the sensors so if the idle rises after the engine has warmed up then it will be a sensor fault, the O2 sensor is known to have faults after warm up, sometimes an actuator can become sticky in mechanical operation and the same with an injector

Personally I would look at the throttle cable mine used to hang up and not return properly at times until I rerouted it
__________________
650GS Info - www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #10664
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Hey Feral

You have an image of one of those single lane tar roads like near quambone with a nice big lip down to the dirt tracks running each side ?, or a dirt road with big sand drifts over it ? I have a need for such images, dont need very high res

Re the BMS on the GS

There are two power feeds to the BMS, the first powers the processor and power is removed when the ignition is turned off, the second is direct from the battery and powers the memory which amongst other things has the adaption info, so there can be no ability for the BMS to detect any motion or operation of any sensor like the throttle actuator when the ignition is off, so there are no magic fairies in there. Resetting the idle actuator with the ignition on procedure is real but is only needed if there have been problems with the actuator

In terms of the fault which generated the responses, the BMS only reacts to the sensors so if the idle rises after the engine has warmed up then it will be a sensor fault, the O2 sensor is known to have faults after warm up, sometimes an actuator can become sticky in mechanical operation and the same with an injector

Personally I would look at the throttle cable mine used to hang up and not return properly at times until I rerouted it
I had the same issue with an old throttle cable. Was gummed up inside the tube and didn't return to idle properly. Replaced it, presto! Back to normal. If you turn the throttle it should move smoothly, if not it's full of crud.
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #10665
1911fan
Master of the Obvious
 
1911fan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: North Central Washington
Oddometer: 2,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
it goes with the other myth that the BMS takes 12 hours to reset adaptions after full power removal. That one is not helped by a TSB released in the US in which it is stated that removal of power does not reset adaptions

Hmmm.... scroll back a page to my (unanswered) question about why hers wouldn't start after the battery died. The next morning, I went out and hit the button and it started right up.
Since it would NOT start after about 24 hours with no power, and lit fine 10 hours after power was restored, can you tell me what did happen if it wasn't a BMS reset?

Just curious.



1911fan
__________________
Read The Patriot Post -- It's Right. It's Free.
http://patriotpost.us/subscribe/

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014