Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #10666
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Beat me to it.
I was going to say that maybe it has something to do with repositioning after having had the battery out, but on every start up just sounds wrong. Betting a feather has turned to five hens when being passed from one person to the next.

FYI, I had my battery hooked and unhooked maybe 50 times over the last two weeks when installing a new headlight and didn't do any weird/ special/ secret procedure on start up other than wait for the water temp light to go out. Bike runs like a charm.

I just cannot sit back and swallow all the special tricks people claim you have to do to run this bike. How BMW stays in business with crap like spewing out of the factory is beyond me.

I had some crap stuck to the throttle cable once on the throttle body "wheel", which made the throttle very slightly open even if I didn't intent for it to be and that resulted in normal start, but no idle what so ever. Just died as soon as the rpm dropped after initial ignition.
This is exactly how it is for me. I had to be careful after the front end conversion, the cable routing I chose opened the throttle just ever so little when at full lock (I retained my steering lock, so it was often at full lock when trying to start)...then no idle it just dies.

Solution: turn off the key count to 10 (probably didn't even need to do that) and start again with the bars closer to center.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #10667
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,164
1911fan, You have a good question but it is not one answered by the 12 hr depower myth

There is real doubt about adaption reset on power off due the conflicting info from BMW, there is also the possibility of a difference between single spark and dual spark. The reset is normally done via diagnostics command so I am undecided as to whether a depower does or does not. clear adaptions. I was hoping to prove or disprove with a couple of test BMS and a setup I have but time has prevented me doing the tests

What I can tell you is the power is drained from the memory power circuit in far less than 12 hours, it takes minutes
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #10668
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Sorry about that, re-read Ricky's post and figured I should mention that as well. I still don't believe in magic procedures though
I thought you've said in the past yours runs poorly if allowed to roll (ie wheels sensor picking up rotation) after the ignition is on but before starting.Sounds like black magic to me cuz i don't understand it...
Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #10669
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
I thought you've said in the past yours runs poorly if allowed to roll (ie wheels sensor picking up rotation) after the ignition is on but before starting.Sounds like black magic to me cuz i don't understand it...
Umm....no, sorry, that wasn't me

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #10670
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Pan Racing Trofeo rear end

Picked up the new to me parts today - subframe, fuel tank, seat, exhaust, header pipe, panels and tail light. Can't believe how light it all is compared to stock!

Not my photo below as its all still sat in my truck. Looking forward to stripping the back end off now and getting it all fitted. Might get the subframe powder coated first and replace the slightly tired panels. Apparently they're KTM UFO plastics.

dansin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #10671
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Neat, how much does the tank hold?
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #10672
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Neat, how much does the tank hold?
11 litres apparently, pretty sure it's the Touratech tank from the Oryx kit.
dansin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #10673
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Hey Feral

You have an image of one of those single lane tar roads like near quambone with a nice big lip down to the dirt tracks running each side ?, or a dirt road with big sand drifts over it ? I have a need for such images, dont need very high res

Will have a look after work for something that might suit. Just scenery or bikes in shot ? preferrence?
For some reason I havn't explored the Quambone area yet, it's on my list for July while the minister for war & finance is overseas

Have a mate at Wee Waa that I need to visit, so that would make a good loop.
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #10674
Hamburgler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hey all,just bought an 06 dakar,awesome bike.got an oil change issue tho,ive got an aftermarket dipstick so already im not sure where the oil is supposed to be at.anyways i put in 2 liters then the .3 and checked the reading,warmed the bike up and checked it again,it showed even less oil in the oil tank ,is that normal?ive checked my manuals(bmw and haynes)and there kind hazy on this stuff.thanks
Hamburgler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #10675
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
1911fan, You have a good question but it is not one answered by the 12 hr depower myth

There is real doubt about adaption reset on power off due the conflicting info from BMW, there is also the possibility of a difference between single spark and dual spark. The reset is normally done via diagnostics command so I am undecided as to whether a depower does or does not. clear adaptions. I was hoping to prove or disprove with a couple of test BMS and a setup I have but time has prevented me doing the tests

What I can tell you is the power is drained from the memory power circuit in far less than 12 hours, it takes minutes
I'm gonna say that it's not so much a reset as a memory/setting loss and then relearn. I don't have a way to tell whether adaptation memory has cleared until I finish some other maintenance and she starts riding it again.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #10676
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,164
Feral, no dont need bikes in the pic's it is just to illustrate the perils of dropping onto the dirt on those roads

The road north from Warren into Quambone is a classic, long straights 1 lane tar with a 1/2 lane dirt either side and a 6 inch lip to drop onto the dirt. You get it at the wrong time as I did and there are cattle road trains to overtake, getting back up onto the tar and picking a place where you can get back onto the tar is amusing to say the least
Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #10677
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgler View Post
Hey all,just bought an 06 dakar,awesome bike.got an oil change issue tho,ive got an aftermarket dipstick so already im not sure where the oil is supposed to be at.anyways i put in 2 liters then the .3 and checked the reading,warmed the bike up and checked it again,it showed even less oil in the oil tank ,is that normal?ive checked my manuals(bmw and haynes)and there kind hazy on this stuff.thanks
If you emptied both tanks and replaced the filter just pour in 2,3 liters and forget about it

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #10678
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgler View Post
You have to get the motor really hot to check the oil. Not sure if the 2006 has the sight glass or just a dip stick. My 03 has only the sight glass and it has to be hotter than you can get it at just idling to bring the oil level up to the middle of the glass.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #10679
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
The 2006 has a dipstick. Mine has always read high (around the 'x' in 'max', a bit above the mark) even when i have had the dealer do the change. I tried putting less than 2.3 last oil change and over winter the readings fluctuated. A local mechanic told me moisture was freezing in the oil return line and restricting flow, so i have had trouble isolating my observations.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #10680
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
The 2006 has a dipstick. Mine has always read high (around the 'x' in 'max', a bit above the mark) even when i have had the dealer do the change. I tried putting less than 2.3 last oil change and over winter the readings fluctuated. A local mechanic told me moisture was freezing in the oil return line and restricting flow, so i have had trouble isolating my observations.
That sucks.
Wonder if it'll warn when the oil pressure gets too high or just when it's low.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !