Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #10726
Bruce H
Bruce H

Oddometer: 152
Tubeless is tempting but a hassel. I bought heavy duty natural rubber tubes (Moose) NOT synthetic rubber. these leak air a bit so you have to watch the pressure. the tubes and good tires has worked for me. I change my tires out before they are done and give them away. One tow bill will pay for new tires is my theory. Too bad smaller bikes don't come with rims such as the 1200GS. There is some motorcycle specific flat sealant you can put inside the tubes, always wanted to try it as the reviews were posivitive. There is some for tubeless as well but I have tire pressure monitiring so was afraid to try it on my GSA.

For the ride conditions you describe I'd stay with Metzler's. On my Dakar I run Kenda's but am within six hundred miles of home. If I were to do Alaska most likely would use Metzler Tourance or the new rage Heidenau. always wanted to try those. I did try the Metzler Sierra on the Dakar, NIX.. for me very short life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
Folks,

I am tentatively planning a trip to Alaska with my 17 year old son. We would leave the first week in July. He will be riding the Dakar (me, I will be on my 1200 GSA).

I am looking to get a second set of tires to ship up there (either Fairbanks or Whitehorse) for the bikes. We are planning to ride the Dalton Hwy (We hiked and have driven the Dempster hwy 3 times now). Because most of the ride will be mostly pavement with some gravel (save for the Dalton.. which can be sludge). I am leaning towards Metzler Toruances. However, I was thinking that a larger (wider front tire) would be nice for him especially in cornering. He is new to riding and we will be taking it nice and slow on two lane roads all the way up from our home in Washington State.

I am looking around and am wondering what the largest tire I could get on the front that would be road friendly and still have some dirt capability (I don't want big commando off-road tires).

2nd question...
I was also thinking of converting the rims to tubeless. To avoid the flat hassles associated with tubed wheels. Anyone done this? Like it?

Was looking at the Outex tubeless kit.

Thanks for your help.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #10727
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgler View Post
hey all , I'm about to weld my kick stand back together(added a couple inches) but first wanted to disconnect the ecu but cant figure out how to.ive taken it out but cant see a way to easily disconnect it without taking the right side cover off and digging thru all the wires,is there an easier way ,I've googled it and checked 650.com but nothing so far.thx

bike is a 2006 dakar

haha Christ that was. a dumb question,took the kickstand off the bike.question does still stand for future welding tho
Can't you just disconnect the battery ?
I *think* teh ECU is the square flat thingy under the saddle just behind the airbox. Never disconnected it, but I think you can just pull it out .... isn't there like a handle on one side

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #10728
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon M View Post
Been lurking here a while, last month did a ~ 2,000 mile trip through AZ and southern CA. Thought I'd post up a photo or 2 of the bike from the trip as a "Thanks" for all the stuff I've learned in this thread.

In Sedona, AZ
Sweet

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #10729
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Took the Dakar to Deals Gap last week - just felt like sharing.

Cool

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #10730
gabriels_twin
Adventurous n00b

Oddometer: 7
New Dakar Owner, woo!

New owner of a Dakar! Woo! It has been a long time coming.

For a pic:
http://instagram.com/p/ZyPNz0I_OZ/

Over the next few months, you might see me around California, Arizona, New Mexcio, Texas, Old Mexico , Colorado and Utah.

Very excited! I've got a week of prep before I start meandering. Let the farkling begin!

gabriels_twin screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 03:22 PM Reason: fiddling with the linkage
gabriels_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #10731
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
Hi all, have just been lurking while trying to decide which bike I want to pursue, but with regard to tubed tires, on my mountain bike several years ago I was able to buy a kevlar strip that fit inside the tire between it and the tube, and it helped prevent punctures, evidently it would either deflect a thorn, for example, to either side, or the nail, thorn, whatever, would push the strip up toward the tube and then push back toward the tire, still protecting the tube.

I wonder if they still have those, possibly wider so they would insert and protect higher on either side of the tire, or if they even made the tech leap to motorcycle tires, and not just bicycles?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #10732
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriels_twin View Post

For a pic:

Over the next few months, you might see me around California, Arizona, New Mexcio, Texas, Old Mexico , Colorado and Utah.

Very excited! I've got a week of prep before I start meandering. Let the farkling begin!
Congrats

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #10733
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:

For a pic:

Nice. I remember that feeling of first getting my F650ST... and then the 01 F650GS... and then the F800GS... and then back to the F650GS'YZ'Dakar which is still a work in progress. I think the when i finally get it done and road worthy I'll have that same feeling again.

Nice pic by the way
Old 05-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #10734
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon M View Post
Been lurking here a while, last month did a ~ 2,000 mile trip through AZ and southern CA. Thought I'd post up a photo or 2 of the bike from the trip as a "Thanks" for all the stuff I've learned in this thread.

Empty highway outside of Baker, CA - heading towards Death Valley
Nice pics. I love how rugged your Dakar looks. Great scenery too. I hope to do the same trip in the near future.

Quote:

For a pic:

Haha great photo! I can feel the love
I hope you have many years of happy riding on your new bike.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #10735
Hamburgler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hey all,heres my weekend project,elongating the kick stand and welding on a bigger foot print.Finish isnt too fancy because im not super obssessed with my dakar looking great,its made to ride after all.

Basically i just cut the old one,welded on an extension of about 3 1/2 " then slipped a metal sleeve over it right up the part that connects to the bike,welded the bottom half of the original kickstand,lowered the sleeve over the new extension and welded that too,so its super strong now.The bike leans at about a 70 deg angle,seems pretty good,althought sometimes i think a good gust might topple it,probly just being paranoid.Foot print was easy to amke,wont bother explaining that,i shoulda maybe taken more time on it but oh well.Finished it off with some primer and mat black enamel tremclad.

Hamburgler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #10736
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
I just got a new-to-me Dakar and am looking for a centerstand. From what I've read, the one made by Holtham is the cream of the crop, but he doesn't have a website - just a couple of email rjholtam@att.net or rjholtam@worldnet.att.net.
I tried sending him an e-mail, but it bounced on both those addresses. Does anybody know if he's still in business making these things?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #10737
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukaWai View Post
I just got a new-to-me Dakar and am looking for a centerstand. From what I've read, the one made by Holtham is the cream of the crop, but he doesn't have a website - just a couple of email rjholtam@att.net or rjholtam@worldnet.att.net.
I tried sending him an e-mail, but it bounced on both those addresses. Does anybody know if he's still in business making these things?
I'm using this one from Touratech and it works very well

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #10738
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukaWai View Post
Here is a PDF from F650.com FAQ:
Holtam Metal Fabrication stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
I'm using this one from Touratech and it works very well
It works well untill you bend or break the part you stand on. I bought one used and its bent already so now the bike stands on all 3 points. Kinda weird and feels like its really narrow.

I'm thinking of getting one of these from Twisted Throttle:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...FSVxQgodATAABg
Old 05-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #10739
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 308
I'm very happy with the twisted throttle centerstand. Here's a shot of my Dakar loaded for a cross country trip.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #10740
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Thanks for the replies. The one from Twisted Throttle is from SWMotech and was my second choice, but I wanted to check out the Holtham one first. I had looked through the PDF, it's where I got an e-mail address that is no good, hence I wanted to know if that business is still around.
Gangplank - You might have look here http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...FSFxQgodeUAAHg
I think the link you posted would be too short for a Dakar.

PukaWai screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 01:01 PM
PukaWai is offline   Reply With Quote