Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #10771
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
You can take loose the throttle and clutch cables and make sure you have enough room to move them up. I put those YZ forks on and went to wider bars and that put quite a strain on both cables.

The brake lines can be ordered from Galfer or Spiegler or from Touratech, who already sells (or sold, at least, longer brake lines).

I think there are custom brake line makers out there who will simply make any length cable you want as long as you tell them which fittings you need. I think someone here bought a kit where he ordered a length of line and the fittings and crimped it himself.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #10772
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Guess what I received today? A new fan for the Dakar. I went to Rick's Rendez-Vous a couple weeks ago and after hopping off the super slab for fuel, my temp light came on as I waited for two yabbos to finish their conversation and free up the exit. When I made it home I realized my fan was seized and my radiator was full of crud. I do not know if my fan switch is good or not.

The RDV was wet and sloppy and it rained every day. I went on the 1/2 gravel, 1/2 super twisty road ride.

The beak on the Dakar did little to keep the TKC from flipping mud up all over the front of the bike, radiator and headlamp.

The temp engine light came on twice. Once while being trapped in the gas station for about a minute, and once while winding my way through the neighbourhood. As long as I was moving it was okay. I realized my fan was knackered when I inspected it. Couldn't budge it by hand.

The sexy and expensive fan.

Made in Spain: where else?

The whole bike is covered in Death Valley dust and N.C. slop:

I grabbed a hose and a brush and scrubbed the radiator fins.

But I have one question: as I was digging around in there under its skirt, I found this:

Is this line supposed to be on that nipple? Looks like someone removed it and then capped the line, or I could be completely mistaken.

Any ideas?

I started the bike up and let it run. After 10 minutes the fan did not come on. But the bike did steam from all the water left over from the scrubbing. After 15 minutes I had no fan, and no temp light, either.

How long should it take to kick the fan on? Is there a way to test it? Should I just replace it?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #10773
DieselFxr
Rider

Oddometer: 27
Hose ID

That hose with the plug in it is to drain the air box. It gets oil in it if you overfill the oil tank and water if you tip it over in the water. The nipple is a bleeder screw used when filling the radiator to allow trapped air out.
DieselFxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #10774
Hamburgler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Ebbs,WHat happened to that cover?

Hamburgler screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 08:44 PM
Hamburgler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #10775
Hamburgler
Adventurer

bash plate mod

Just got my Dakar a month ago and chaged the oil asap to cover my ass,couldnt really do it with the bash plate,but to take off the plate i had to take off the crash bars,lots of work.Antone modify their bash plate for easier access for oil changes?

ideas are:
-cut hole in bash plate to aloow oil to drain into oil pan
- cut slots in bash plate and bend the piece in between slots to make a "ramp" for the oil to flow down

any ideas would be great,thx
Old 06-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #10776
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Guess what ..... The temp engine light came on twice. Once while being trapped in the gas station for about a minute, and once while winding my way through the neighbourhood............I was digging around in there under its skirt, I found this:

Is this line supposed to be on that nipple? Looks like someone removed it and then capped the line, or I could be completely mistaken.
Any ideas?
I started the bike up and let it run. After 10 minutes the fan did not come on. But the bike did steam from all the water left over from the scrubbing. After 15 minutes I had no fan, and no temp light, either.
How long should it take to kick the fan on? Is there a way to test it? Should I just replace it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFxr View Post
That hose with the plug in it is to drain the air box. It gets oil in it if you overfill the oil tank and water if you tip it over in the water. The nipple is a bleeder screw used when filling the radiator to allow trapped air out.
Like Diesel says, it's the airbox drain. Just hold a rag undeneath it and pull the plug. Sometime water will come out if you've ridden in a lot of rain/ heavy traffic with lots of spray that makes its way up the snorkel or oil from the crank case ventilation. It's normal to have some fluids come out and the plug is there for a reason.

Try just jumping the fan to the battery to check that it's working.
The temp sensor and warning light clearly works since they were very active on your last trip

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #10777
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgler View Post
Just got my Dakar a month ago and chaged the oil asap to cover my ass,couldnt really do it with the bash plate,but to take off the plate i had to take off the crash bars,lots of work.Antone modify their bash plate for easier access for oil changes?

ideas are:
-cut hole in bash plate to aloow oil to drain into oil pan
- cut slots in bash plate and bend the piece in between slots to make a "ramp" for the oil to flow down

any ideas would be great,thx
See red above. I hvaen't done it myself, but that's what I would do if I had the BMW tin and the crash bars mounted still.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 06-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #10778
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
the oil filter cover didn't fly off... the oil just gushed out...
I know

Just had another thought (so naturally I'm exhausted), could overfilling the oil result in too high oil pressure ?

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #10779
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Right, thanks guys.

I'm going to change out the coolant since I have no idea how old it is and I'll dump the oil since I used regular BMW dino oil in it and I'm sure its heat stressed even if it has only 2000 miles on it.

doing the oil is a smack in the bollocks. I'll just make another oil stain on the cement next to the one I made just 3 weeks ago.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #10780
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,318
The single spark is only rated for Semi Synthetic oil due the the clutch see http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ClutchRepair.html
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #10781
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Hmm, well, I thought that if synthetic oil didn't have any friction modifiers in it then it wouldn't muck with the clutch. I suppose I have it wrong.

I have been using mobil one 15-50 on my XR400 for years, no clutch slipping... But that's the only multiplate wet clutch I've had in a while, aside from the V-Strom I used to own.

I am well behind the curve when it comes to new oil and what the Dakar requires. I've got to read up.

thanks for the information. I'd hate to have to dump the oil again (and make yet another messy spot on the drive) just because of a shitey oil decision.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #10782
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

There is quite a bit of misinformation out there re oils and misundertanding especially discoloration of detergent oils with some thinking it is signs of over heating, some oil pro's will explain the Semi Synthetics handle excess heat better than full synthetic

Re the GS there were some owners who could not solve clutch slip even with Semi Synth and moved to Rekluse, BMW obviously knew of the problem and changed the dual spark to increase pressure per plate.

Here in Oz we have extreme heat and my 02 has been through 46c + for extended periods Castrol ActiveX 4T as used by BMW has taken it without problems so the only thing full synthetic would do is eat $
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #10783
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Well, I'm not an oil pro, but I don't think there's much debate the semi-synthetic or synthetic oils take heat better than straight dino oil. I spent a couple of nights years ago reading all I ever want to read about oils and two occasions in which I sent oil, one dino and one synthetic, in for analysis. I don't plan on doing that ever again, either.

But I did read your like where it explains that my early Dakar is only rated for semi-synthetic oil and I will follow instructions. I bought the oil for the last oil change at the BMW shop-- if I read your post correctly this is rebranded Castrol ActiveX 4T? I think I can find that down at my local.

My mate rides an 1150 one year off from mine and dumps his (Mobil One, again) oil every 5,000km. I know that oil is good for a lot longer than that. Yeah, it looks dirty. I tried to explain to him that he's replacing good oil with more good oil that just looks prettier. But he has the extra dosh and the time so I let him be happy and only take the piss out of him once in a while.

Thanks for the info. If it's Castrol ActiveX 4T you recommend I'll certainly use it.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #10784
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Yes it is Castrol ActiveX 4T, Have spoken with the Castrol Techo's here about it in detail a while back and they confirmed it

One of the other Dakar dual spark owners here is also a pro BM car tech and he uses it in his, he cant see a good reason to spend more $
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #10785
Hamburgler
Adventurer

spark plug

the questions never end haha,I'm intalling new ngk irridiums and they came without the little screw in cap at the top of the plug,I've never installed a plug like that into my dirt bike or car,should I get the little screw on caps?

jut to be clear the new plugs only have a threaded end at the top.thx guys